Night Photography ending? New FAA rules?

Reaction score
I read a summary of the new FAA rules to take effect at the end of this month. (Aug/2016).

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

• Daylight-only operations, or civil twilight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) with appropriate anti-collision lighting.

So does this mean the end of night photos?

thanks.

We lived through glorious years and enjoyed these drones at the best time.

With increasing ownership, intense diversity in use and behaviors from owners will come crushing and misguided regulation.

Local municipalities are stepping in before the FAA (which still doesn't have an authority from Congress).

I am not convinced it will be worth owning one a couple of years from now the same way we have been able to enjoy them so far.

You can always ignore the rules but that's a different conversation. :)

Part 107 is ONLY for Commercial Operations and not for hobby/recreational operations.

We lived through glorious years and enjoyed these drones at the best time.

With increasing ownership, intense diversity in use and behaviors from owners will come crushing and misguided regulation.

Local municipalities are stepping in before the FAA (which still doesn't have an authority from Congress).

I am not convinced it will be worth owning one a couple of years from now the same way we have been able to enjoy them so far.

You can always ignore the rules but that's a different conversation. :)

From a physical / technical /environmental aspect, I'm not sure what the difference is operating it at the end of civil twilight vs. Midnight? Provided it has standard lighting on it. Guess congress is waiting for campaign contributions from the National Drone Association, like they get from the NRA? Make a stupid law or threaten to, so someone will pay you not to. ugh..

This has nothing to do with flying as a hobby. From what I understand. But from the short time I've owned mine I think 28wins is correct when he says the laws will only tighten as time goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This has nothing to do with flying as a hobby. From what I understand. But from the short time I've owned mine I think 28wins is correct when he says the laws will only tighten as time goes on.

So these rules are for businesses?

From a physical / technical /environmental aspect, I'm not sure what the difference is operating it at the end of civil twilight vs. Midnight? Provided it has standard lighting on it. Guess congress is waiting for campaign contributions from the National Drone Association, like they get from the NRA? Make a stupid law or threaten to, so someone will pay you not to. ugh..

We should not put it past them, you may be right but it is prob. not the only reason.

I don't know enough about their decision process and the elements they considered when they came up with that requirement. Maybe they have valid reasons I can think of.

The current built-in cameras are not good at night so you can't rely on FPV. So you fall back on line of sight .... which at night is not possible (how do you know something is wrong with your drone, flashing lights notwithstanding)?

From a physical / technical /environmental aspect, I'm not sure what the difference is operating it at the end of civil twilight vs. Midnight?

Huh? There is a LOT of difference between "civil twilight" and midnight.

Guess congress is waiting for campaign contributions from the National Drone Association, like they get from the NRA? Make a stupid law or threaten to, so someone will pay you not to. ugh..

You really don't have a clue what you're talking about on this topic. These regulations are for SAFETY and they were in place LONG before drones were even on the scene.

Reactions: Falcon900
So these rules are for businesses?

What you read pertains to "rules" going into effect at the end of this month (Aug 2016) and that set of rules applies to people who fall under the definition of commercial (i.e: monetary) exploitation of a drone use and/ or its derived product (presence, photos/ footage etc.).

Huh? There is a LOT of difference between "civil twilight" and midnight.

You really don't have a clue what you're talking about on this topic. These regulations are for SAFETY and they were in place LONG before drones were even on the scene.

Civil twilight tonight ends at 8:40 PM for me. Please explain how flying at 8:40 is safe and flying at 8:41 is Dangerous?

I know my federal government, my politics and I know how laws are made. I know the Feds are considering making road dust a regulated pollutant. So, please forgive me if I am a bit skeptical about rules being placed on people and the stated reasons for those rules.

Reactions: ray rokni
Reactions: BigAl07
Civil twilight tonight ends at 8:40 PM for me. Please explain how flying at 8:40 is safe and flying at 8:41 is Dangerous?

I know my federal government, my politics and I know how laws are made. I know the Feds are considering making road dust a regulated pollutant. So, please forgive me if I am a bit skeptical about rules being placed on people and the stated reasons for those rules.

They have to create and "end time" and "start time" so please explain to me again how 8:40pm and MIDNIGHT are identical? I seemed to have missed that aspect in your translation.

For the record I doubt you're going to see Law Enforcement with a Stop-Watch trying to bust your chops for COMMERCIAL night flights at 8:41pm tonight but that's a whole other topic which you obviously KNOW so much about.

They have to create and "end time" and "start time" so please explain to me again how 8:40pm and MIDNIGHT are identical? I seemed to have missed that aspect in your translation.

For the record I doubt you're going to see Law Enforcement with a Stop-Watch trying to bust your chops for COMMERCIAL night flights at 8:41pm tonight but that's a whole other topic which you obviously KNOW so much about.

Thanks Big Al. Make lots of friends here do you?

Thanks Big Al. Make lots of friends here do you?

Seriously? You've been here 4 days now and you're a drone PRO and a Life Coach?

Come out guns blazing from the start much do you?

Good luck and safe flights my friend!

Seriously? You've been here 4 days now and you're a drone PRO and a Life Coach?

Come out guns blazing from the start much do you?

Good luck and safe flights my friend!

I apologize for all my shortcomings Big Al. If you see any future questions I post ,please just ignore them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj