Night flight?!

Reaction score
Watching the videos DJI has up for the Vision+ there is some night flying footage. It is really cool looking. I'm thinking, OK in the country no big thing. You have to be in an urban area to get really great video footage. But I'm scared to death to send it up in the dark (that won't stop me though). Has anyone tried night flight?

i

is illegal here to fly at night (in open sky) ...... but for 35 years they have also been telling me I cant speed when I drive, .... or smoke weed at parties . :lol:

I say whack a strobe light on and go for broke ....

GMANNZ said:
is illegal here to fly at night (in open sky) ...... but for 35 years they have also been telling me I cant speed when I drive, .... or smoke weed at parties . :lol:

I say whack a strobe light on and go for broke ....

yeah they've been saying that about weed in Colorado forever and now they say it's not! Hmmm???

I find it's actually easier to maintain orientation at night as the lights on the craft are more visible. Video/photos aren't the best unless you're in a well-lit area, but that usually means highly populated so be careful! Nice way to freak out the neighbors though. Oh, and I've never crashed*!

*at night

Is funny here in Wellington .... airport closes at night because it is basically in the city and noone would get any sleep .... if theres no commercial planes flying (apart from mail guys etc) ... I cant understand why I cant fly at night ???

Maybe it is just that it would scare the crap out of the neighbours etc ?? .. exactly the reason I would love to do more of it LOL :lol:

GMANNZ said:
Is funny here in Wellington .... airport closes at night because it is basically in the city and noone would get any sleep .... if theres no commercial planes flying (apart from mail guys etc) ... I cant understand why I cant fly at night ???

Maybe it is just that it would scare the crap out of the neighbours etc ?? .. exactly the reason I would love to do more of it LOL :lol:
Right. Who cares if a UPS 767 interferes with a Phantom flight. :lol:

phantomguy said:
GMANNZ said:

Right. Who cares if a UPS 767 interferes with a Phantom flight. :lol:

yep thats right ..... if theres a 767 flying at 50 metres above my local park in the valley where I live ... the last thing he'll need to worry about is my flying phantom as he'll need to be seriously avoiding the surrounding hills as he climbs to get above the transmission towers at the head of the valley.... :lol:

Hovtech said:
Watching the videos DJI has up for the Vision+ there is some night flying footage. It is really cool looking. I'm thinking, OK in the country no big thing. You have to be in an urban area to get really great video footage. But I'm scared to death to send it up in the dark (that won't stop me though). Has anyone tried night flight?

i

My favorite time to fly is at night!! I like it because you can really see the bird wherever it is. You never lose sight of it no matter how far away it is (with clear LOS of course). The video is very good around brightly lit areas such as lighted tennis courts or a ball field or a well lit parking lot. Same for the stills. Everything gets grainy and smears in low light.

Just try it you will love it.

More of my flights have been at night vs the day. I can still see the FPV view okay though it's not ideal. Also I can see the P2V in the sky WAY easier than any daylight hour, even if it's a half mile away I can see it just fine with those bright Red and Green lights on it. It also makes tracking it with my directional antenna even easier than during the day.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik