NFZ database update when no internet connection available

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere; but today I tried to fly, but was greeted with a message stating that the NFZ database needed to be updated (again). That was fine; except that I couldn't get it to do anything. Eventually, I figured out that it wanted the USB cable connected directly to the P4P to do the update (the original instructions said nothing about connecting directly to the drone--just make sure the RC is on--which would imply no direct cable connection--but I digress). Then it hung at 99% for several minutes, before I tried restarting both the Go4 app and the P4P. The message didn't come back, and the "Cannot Fly" message was gone--15 minutes after I initially was hoping to lift off.

Anyway, it made me wonder what I would have done if I hadn't had a cellular data connection out in the field? I know there was some ridicule on these forums against people who were paranoid about the ability to fly "off-line" after the latest firmware / app updates; but these random NFZ database updates could indeed ground your drone it seems.... Does anyone know how this works? I can appreciate if you have no internet connection at all when you first start the Go App, that it wouldn't know there was an update to potentially ground your drone; then again, what if while your mobile device was connected to the internet, the Go 4 app downloaded a trigger that there was a new update, that you would be oblivious to until you hike days away into the mountains only to find out you can't fly because your Go App says there's a new database but you have no means of downloading it? ***EDIT: Are NFZ database updates pushed with a Go App update? If so; at least that would be at least an indication to fire up your drone at least once after a Go App update. ***

I suppose in any case, perhaps I need to include in my "off-the-grid" pre-flight routine to always turn on my drones and Go App in an area with internet connection right before anytime I wander off somewhere with no internet connection--just to make sure I'm not grounded by a random NFZ database update.

Last edited:
Happened to me, I just declined and flew, then updated later when I was ready for that.

Mine. The notice went away, I flew, no issues, took it inside and did the update.

I wonder if I had declined the first time if it would have let me fly. When I couldn't get it to update initially I tried the decline option but then it wouldn't even let me start my motors. Are you using a P4P too?

In spite of what Bakersfield has suggested there is probably NOTHING THAT YOU CAN DO to get that bird to take off...at least not in that area without "creative" rollbacks to your bird and DJI Go. You can thank DJI's ridiculous firmware and NFZ updates for seeing to it that you no longer own your drone.....THEY do. Many members will of course come to DJI's defense and imply that those of us with this problem are basically just too stupid to know what we are doing and its all our fault. They believe that since THEY don't have the problem than surely nobody else should either. The most likely reason for this line of thinking is that if you don't ever travel outside of your protective little safe flying bubble you will NEVER know that this problem DOES exist! For those of us who bought these drones to travel the world and get great video its a HUGE problem! Sadly, you wont even know if you have a problem or not until you try to fly once you are there and by then its too late because as I have learned you are just SOL and there is nothing that can be done. Some locations just cant be "unlocked" no matter what and other locations are locked for NO REASON and aren't even in DJI's own NFZ list!!!

FYI I got tired of dealing with DJI's control and took back control of MY DRONE and haven't had this problem since.

In spite of what Bakersfield has suggested there is probably NOTHING THAT YOU CAN DO to get that bird to take off...at least not in that area without "creative" rollbacks to your bird and DJI Go. You can thank DJI's ridiculous firmware and NFZ updates for seeing to it that you no longer own your drone.....THEY do. Many members will of course come to DJI's defense and imply that those of us with this problem are basically just too stupid to know what we are doing and its all our fault. They believe that since THEY don't have the problem than surely nobody else should either. The most likely reason for this line of thinking is that if you don't ever travel outside of your protective little safe flying bubble you will NEVER know that this problem DOES exist! For those of us who bought these drones to travel the world and get great video its a HUGE problem! Sadly, you wont even know if you have a problem or not until you try to fly once you are there and by then its too late because as I have learned you are just SOL and there is nothing that can be done. Some locations just cant be "unlocked" no matter what and other locations are locked for NO REASON and aren't even in DJI's own NFZ list!!!

FYI I got tired of dealing with DJI's control and took back control of MY DRONE and haven't had this problem since.
Look, I did not lie, this happened to me just last month. I declined the update, the notice disappears and I took off and flew 15 minutes. When I land it, I turn things off, go inside turn it on and follow the instructions, no problems.
Now if that is not how it happened for you, not my problem. But don't say that I am mis reporting what I experienced.

Look, I did not lie, this happened to me just last month. I declined the update, the notice disappears and I took off and flew 15 minutes. When I land it, I turn things off, go inside turn it on and follow the instructions, no problems.
Now if that is not how it happened for you, not my problem. But don't say that I am mis reporting what I experienced.

Thank you!!!! You just confirmed EXACTLY what I wrote. Because YOU did not experience the same problems as many others screw everyone else right? They must be stupid and like you said, "not your problem". Now other forum members can truly see the attitude on here that I am talking about. And apparently you didn't even read what I wrote in the first place. I didn't say anything about not being able to update. I was talking about the NFZ's that give you a "cannot take off" message in places where THEY SHOULD NOT BE THERE!

Thank you!!!! You just confirmed EXACTLY what I wrote. Because YOU did not experience the same problems as many others screw everyone else right? They must be stupid and like you said, "not your problem". Now other forum members can truly see the attitude on here that I am talking about. And apparently you didn't even read what I wrote in the first place. I didn't say anything about not being able to update. I was talking about the NFZ's that give you a "cannot take off" message in places where THEY SHOULD NOT BE THERE!
I don't really care how upset you are with DJI, don't take an attitude with me, you don't know me. I told my experience, you told yours, but somehow mine just doesn't have credence with you. Fine, conversation over,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic