NFZ but still able to fly....

Reaction score
I was doing some flying at a golf course yesterday and had an interesting experience. 1/2 of the course is in a NFZ and 1/2 is not. I taped some foil on my P3P and flew in ATTI to get some low flying shots in the NFZ, well below the tree line. After flying at that hole, I shut down the drone, and drove to an area that I thought was out of the NFZ. While the drone was off, I took off the foil and powered everything up. I noticed that the map and home point updated, but I was still in the NFZ. (turns out the NFZ extended onto the back 9, and I thought it was the front 9, so I was deeper into the NFZ than I was during the first flight). I thought I was going to have to fly with the foil on again, but it allowed me to take off and fly WITH GPS.

I can't remember 100%, but I think I forgot to take it out of ATTI mode when I powered up the 2nd time, then flipped the switch to P before I took off.

Any ideas why this happened? Is this a glitch and how safe is it to try and replicate? I'm unsure what would happen if it suddenly realized it was flying in a NFZ mid flight.....

Around my parents house is within 5 miles of a tower controlled airport .it says nfz as soon as the app opens. I guess being within 5 miles of a nfz it still lets u fly but warns you of the location ( and you're suppose to call and check in with control tower . I think if you're at/ or less than 2 miles from the airport -that's when the motors won't start . ) Took off and landed in nfz and kept it close ----- was worried it might auto land like what one member reported happening to him when he flew in nfz

Also I believe if u take off from a Non nfz and fly into a nfz( less than 2 miles of tower controlled airport --the bird will auto land at its current position. Not too sure about this as I'm too scare to attempt. I believe it has been confirmed by another user and also by Dji reps

Last edited:
From my experience, if you are in a RED zone, the motors won't start. A message comes up on the app that states you're in a NFZ and can't take off.

Some of the NFZs are stepped, as I understood it: no flight within the inner radius, low flight (<100ft) within a second, larger radius, etc

Hmmm interesting. Do they show up as different colors in the steps? Like a bullseye? I've only ever seen the zone as either all red, all yellow, etc.

65e663f002073646c49f73be28a341b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20