Nexus 7 tablet

Reaction score
Guys, seen a few threads mentioning the Nexus 7. Trying to decide on whether to have a tablet dedicated to the P3 or get a new phone (iPhone 6s+ or Galaxy S7 edge) and just use that. I'm due an upgrade in the phone anyway. Don't want to spend a lot on a tablet as I dont use the P3 that much.

So, what are they like to use in general?
Fast enough? Lag?

Screen brightness? 7 inch large enough.

Anything else? Can pick one up here in the UK for about £90, so for the amount of use it will get I dnot want to really spend anymore...

Cheers

Dave

You don't want to spend more, you are due to new phone. You have already given answer to your question. Upgrade your phone and use it also for P3

Reactions: TiaRosa
Nexus 7 (2013) is just the right size.
After using it, an 8 in tablet seems a little too big and phones are too small.
No screen's perfect in sunlight - always look for something to give you shade but the Nexus is brighter than the 8 in tablet I've been trying.

Get a Nexus 7. I have one dedicated to my P3A. Screen is the right size and brightness is good but like most in bright sunlight you may need a shade. I have an iphone 6 as a back up but too small and the clarity is not as good as the Nexus 7.

You don't want to spend more, you are due to new phone. You have already given answer to your question. Upgrade your phone and use it also for P3

There are a few more variables though really...General consensus is having a dedicated device is advantageous, as is a larger screen.

Just a word of advice.... I have a Gen 3 (I think) iPad (wifi) that as sitting around. I thought "PERFECT!". Except, it wont fit on my P3A's mount without an adapter. The LG 7" Android Tablet I have is a great fit, except I have no room for it in the DJI backpack case. GRRR. I have an LG G3 in a drawer... maybe I will try that next.

Reactions: DaveB68
Here's my experience with the Nexus 7 2013. It's a perfect product. I've used it since 2013 and have used it on every phantom 3 I've owned. It works every time. No lag. I've dropped it a few times with no problems. It's ultra thin. Battery lasts extremely long. I have not found a better tablet. I use it for everything. I can carry if in a jeans back pocket. A thicker and bigger 8 will not do it for me and in fact, holding a bigger tablet for reading is extra work. About six months ago, after dropping it, I figured, if this thing breaks what do I buy. After much research I came to the conclusion that many out there came to. There is absolutely nothing better in that size. Maybe even in 8 if one still wants that lightness, durability, 32 gigs and lightness. Speed is just fine and I play some pretty graphically intese games on it like Aerofly 2 with zero issues and graphics on full. Being a Google product it will always update to the latest Android. Last month I ordered two spares from Amazon. One was refurbished, the other unsold new. Two because my wife uses it as well and is brutal with it. So a spare for her was a no brainer. My mother uses one as well and did some research for a replacement. Her conclusion was to pick up a spare Nexus 7 as well. And here is the kicker. They are costing more than when they were new. 7 inch is ideal and I see zero sense with 8. Tried and didn't like them. If Nvidia shield were 8 and as thin and light.... But sadly it is not. And for phantoms, the Nexus 7 is the perfect size for the controller. I'm not changing any time soon especially with the flexibility of Android for my needs.

Last edited:
My Nexus 7 gen 2 works great!

That's the thing with them. They work perfect every time. I never had one issue with it. All in a perfect size. As I write this with it, I cannot imagine using something bigger and bulkier . A three year old tablet that has been dropped at least three times and runs every app at very fast speeds.

20160229_183751.jpg
20160229_183810.jpg

Nice one Bighi, thanks for that. Sounds just the ticket, gonna pick one up today... let you know my thoughts.

Cheers all for the replies.

Reactions: bighi
Picked one up yesterday and although not flown with it yet it all seems great. Nice size, connected quickly, and seems nearly lag free. Screen is a good size and it doesn't add too much weight to the controller. Early stage but overall quite impressed so far.

Be interesting to see how it performs in sunlight as the screen can go quite bright but will properly get a hood. Anyone recommend one??

Dave

Reactions: bighi
Picked one up yesterday and although not flown with it yet it all seems great. Nice size, connected quickly, and seems nearly lag free. Screen is a good size and it doesn't add too much weight to the controller. Early stage but overall quite impressed so far.

Be interesting to see how it performs in sunlight as the screen can go quite bright but will properly get a hood. Anyone recommend one??

Dave

Makes no sense why it's all gone away from that size. It's the perfect size. Anyway, enjoy that thing. You'll love it for flying.

Dave
I had other more expensive tablets that did not work as good as the Nexus 7. I am finally lag free and have a much better quality view on sunny days. Great little tablet!

It's mind blowing what a good job Asus did on these things. A three year old tablet that is not just fast, but comes without i spider app and i price.

For those who have used both or have knowledge: Nexus 7>>>Nvidia Shield K1

I have used both. The Nexus 7 is slightly smaller and thinner so it feels better. However, both tablets are solid and the size is pretty good. I like how the Nvidia has an hdmi port so you could use that if you want to for a poor man's version of FPV by not buying the hdmi module.

Personally, I get a free Nexus 10 from work so I use that and it's great but too big. It gives the same problem as the ipad air...it almost falls off a lot because of the size and weight.

I have used both. The Nexus 7 is slightly smaller and thinner so it feels better. However, both tablets are solid and the size is pretty good. I like how the Nvidia has an hdmi port so you could use that if you want to for a poor man's version of FPV by not buying the hdmi module.

Personally, I get a free Nexus 10 from work so I use that and it's great but too big. It gives the same problem as the ipad air...it almost falls off a lot because of the size and weight.
Does the nexus 7 have gps like the Nvidia?

Nexus 7 2nd gen has both sat. systems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1