Next step 550 Flame Wheel

Reaction score
I'm chugging along with my P2/Zen 2 axis/mini ios/immersion 600 mW/blue tooth ground station. Of course I've got the bug to go up a level. I'm thinking 550 flame wheel. I also have a 14sg Tx, so I'm thinking this is all I need to get started. I, also assuming I can transfer All the aforementioned gear to a 550. Do I have that right? I think other than the 550 kit all I'd need OS some batteries (which I probably already have for my big Heli.

Feel free to suggest something other than the 550. Don't think I'm interested in anything bigger at the moment.

http://www.helipal.com/dji-flamewheel-f550-combo-3-naza-lite-legs.html

jondrew said:
I'm chugging along with my P2/Zen 2 axis/mini ios/immersion 600 mW/blue tooth ground station. Of course I've got the bug to go up a level. I'm thinking 550 flame wheel. I also have a 14sg Tx, so I'm thinking this is all I need to get started. I, also assuming I can transfer All the aforementioned gear to a 550. Do I have that right? I think other than the 550 kit all I'd need OS some batteries (which I probably already have for my big Heli.

Feel free to suggest something other than the 550. Don't think I'm interested in anything bigger at the moment.

I'd go with the NAZA M....I don't think the NAZA Lite supports Mini iOSD but I could be wrong. I know there are some limitations so do some reading and compare the two before you buy. Good Luck!!

FangsCPO said:
jondrew said:

I'd go with the NAZA M....I don't think the NAZA Lite supports Mini iOSD but I could be wrong. I know there are some limitations so do some reading and compare the two before you buy. Good Luck!!

Thanks. That's the kind of advice I need. Still not sure I even know how to spell NAZA,let alone know the difference in flavors.

FangsCPO said:
jondrew said:

You also need the H3-2D controller - the Phantom has that built in. Get the Naza M and a gimbal control unit.

Is helipal one of these 3 days to 3 months places? I'm currently in shipping hell on my Fatsharks I ordered from Hobby King. (I'm in the US)

If you pay for express shipping it would be on your doorstep within 3-4 days. I just ordered on Friday from them....a FVP transmitter and it arrived this morning at 9am. Nice!!!

In many ways, DHL is the party responsible for these quick deliveries. They do a great job (most of the time).

I think Helipal ships in batches so they may wait a day or two to send orders out - but once it goes out, it gets to me in 48 hours (if using Express Mail - DHL)

I ordered some things from them last Wednesday evening, which is Thursday their time, and got it this morning. Foxtechfpv does the same thing - maybe a little worse. I've had to remind Foxtech a couple of times that my Express order was still waiting to be given to DHL - once DHL actually gets it, it zooms across.

However, Foxtech responds well to email queries. I had several questions while doing my last build and they always responded within 24 hours. Since they are 13 hours later than me - that means they are actually answering within a few hours of getting the email the following morning. Once, they sent me five pictures that illustrated what they were talking about - which was nice. They even sent me an email congratulating me on being a good pilot - which is typical Chinese politeness - the video they saw was the one where I tipped the 810 over in the first scene.

I think I would deal with either of them without worry... if I used Express mail.

So true but surprisingly this package was sent via FedEx. Now to go test out this new transmitter.

jondrew said:
OI Photography said:
Exactly :) With that kit and a GCU for an H3-2D, you can port everything else over from your P2.

So I'd need this GCU.

http://www.dronefly.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=H3-2D-GCU

Correct. The functions of that are built in to the Phantom's mainboard, so that's why it's not needed in there. Check around though, you'll probably be able to find "used" (but never actually used) examples for sale...a fair number of people got those when they bought the gimbal for their Phantom but didn't need the GCU.

My LHS has a 550 ARF for $320 so I drove over to take a peek. No controller at all and it may be an older model. Looks like the one on helipal has the E300 power system with self tightening props (like on the P2). The one at the store had red motors (stock DJI?) and did not have self tightening props. A NAZA V2 is $300 I think, so I'm back to north of $600 to get started. Helipal NAS that whole deal for $629.

I will keep my eyes open for a "used" GCU

I, too, am leaning this direction, versus dropping more cash into my P2 - like a gimbal and such.

How much soldering is required with this? God I suck at soldering...

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Fink said:
I, too, am leaning this direction, versus dropping more cash into my P2 - like a gimbal and such.

How much soldering is required with this? God I suck at soldering...

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

If you buy the RTF kit ($1k) then it is ready to go (without gimbal or FPV). No soldering. Add a gimbal and FPV kit and it is about 1.7K shipped. Still no soldering. I went that route with my 550 - but subsequently soldered on quite a few things (like power extensions and lights, etc). My only problem with the RTF kit (from Helipal) was the radio and rx. They are DEVO 7 and are for a minimal requirement. I put a t8fghs and rx on mine (still no soldering, though!). These things are like little boats - you keep throwing money at them. ;-}

If you build an ARF version, expect to do a lot of soldering - but it isn't terribly detailed stuff - mostly sticking big wires onto big pads or extending wires from the ESCs and such. I went through a 1/2 box of shrink tubing connecting all the wires on my current build.

I got tired of my crappy iron when I was trying to solder Deens connectors for my Helis and bought this. Makes all the difference in the world. Also one of those little jigs with the alligator clips and magnifying glass.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRC2XU/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll probably go this route. For $629 you get the ARF with NAZA 2 and get to do all the soldering yourself. I was thinking of contacting Helipal to see how much the $999 RTF kit would be without the Tx/Rx.

http://www.helipal.com/dji-flamewheel-f550-combo-2-naza-v2-legs.html

I've still got far more to do with my P2 than I have time for (add the Ground station that's been sitting on the bench, bind my Futaba and I just ordered a Flytrex). Most of this stuff will find its way onto the 550. I'm also watching Craigslist to see if a 550 shows up. There were a couple out there in the Melbourne and St Pete areas, but they were pretty built up and more expensive than I want to spend for something used.Probably older and don't have the E300 motor/prop kits

jondrew said:
I've still got far more to do with my P2 than I have time for (add the Ground station that's been sitting on the bench, bind my Futaba and I just ordered a Flytrex). Most of this stuff will find its way onto the 550. I'm also watching Craigslist to see if a 550 shows up. There were a couple out there in the Melbourne and St Pete areas, but they were pretty built up and more expensive than I want to spend for something used.Probably older and don't have the E300 motor/prop kits

Where are you located?

I was looking at that same ARF kit but would also be interested in the RTF kit minus the radio.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Fink said:
jondrew said:

Where are you located?

I was looking at that same ARF kit but would also be interested in the RTF kit minus the radio.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

That's a great question but I'm guessing not since part of the RTF deal they offer is that they calibrate it for you amd make sure it can fly right out of the box. Just sell the radio when you get it. It's worth $99 at Heli-pal....sell it for $50.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik