Next Gen cam

Actually, having a 360-FOV camera would simplify many things. You wouldn't need a gimbal anymore, assuming you had enough resolution that you could always crop to the desired shot. The complexity would move from the mechanical side to the software side.

This would be the real reason to need 4K or higher video. Capture a much larger FOV than you need, then later choose only the pixels that you want.

Or, for people with head-mounted displays (like Oculus Rift), you can look around in any direction, whether flying live or playing back a recording.

Its not a 360 FOV, it is 240. You would still want a gimbal for stability.

Assuming you had a wider FOV than you needed, and (ideally) had a recording of the flight data indicating the attitude of the craft, you could stabilize the video in software without a gimbal. You could stabilize it without the flight data, but having the data makes it easier.

I think it would add a new dimension to our hobby, being able to pick the exact frame you want to use from any portion of the drone flight path would be great. The drone would need to either have retracts or something similar to the inspire 1 to have an unobstructed view all around you.

This will definitely be a great camera to have on a UAV.

I've already been paid upfront (shhh, let's keep it a secret from the FAA) by some of my hunting buddies to do some scouting for spring turkey season here in PA in March using my Vision+. However, with the forward-facing camera and inability to spot game because of the max. 640x480 resolution in the Vision app, my initial trial runs of this kind of task have been rather dismal. But this new 360 camera would really help capture any possible game animals on the ground because I could simply fly over open fields and woods and get maximum footage with one pass.

I agree it still needs to be mounted on a gimbal or else you just end up getting jello video all over the place.

& its actually lighter than a GoPro. Only having an internal memory of 16gb shows the quality isn't going to be fantastic. Really would give some brilliant footage tho

It would be great if some of the gimbal guys like Rotorpixel could get their hands on one to come up with a prototype gimbal. I am sure if a gimbal could be added the UAV market would purchase the cam and gimbal in large numbers including me the price of the camera is on point with gopro, and DJI Cameras and if we could get at least a 2 axis gimbal I would be all over this. Maybe the 360Fly folks will see the growing market of consumer drones and dive right in.

I found this on Gizmag: I guess it truly is 360 horizontaly and 240 vertically.

"The 360Fly is a sleek-looking, tennis-ball-sized video camera that can be hand-held, mounted on a sports helmet or just left on a table. Its field of view is 360 degrees horizontally and 240 degrees vertically, which EyeSee360 says makes it the widest viewing camera in the world. Video is captured at a resolution of 1500 x1500 px at 30 frames per second. The device is designed to be tough for sports users, is waterproof up to 5 meters (16 ft), and weighs 120 g (4.2 oz).

The entry level, 16 GB version of the 360Fly can record 2 hours of continuous 360° footage. Though the panoramic video captured takes up more storage space than ordinary video, it is still only recorded by one camera and so it is perhaps not as much of a memory hog as might be expected.

"The size of 360 videos shot with 360Fly is only slightly higher than a regular HD video," explains Amey Kanade, Product Manager at EyeSee360. "So far the size of the video has not been an issue for us."

There's already heaps of 360 degree cameras out there. This one isn't that unique. Most of the projects tank or only deliver crappy resolution.

Badmojo109 said:
I wonder who will be the first to figure out away to put this on a drone?

https://360fly.myshopify.com/products/360fly

Very interesting.

I sell much smaller, full HD cameras with DVR and color screen, smaller than a match box and it has been out there for years.

What I see coming is 3D cameras and monitors and goggles. Now, that will feel as if you are in your drone! I doubt I'll get my RC site up in time. And don't move this to classified as of now, I have no RC products! (It's coming though!)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik