News and Updates – It’s (a) Grand! FAA Passes 1,000 UAS Section 333

• Thread starter Deleted member 29014
  • Start date
Still need a real pilot's license to use the 333 exemption, though, as I understand it. How many of those granted the 333 exemption actually have a qualifying pilot's license, or even knew of that supplemental requirement when they applied and were granted the 333 exemption? Hmmm...

Still need a real pilot's license to use the 333 exemption, though, as I understand it. How many of those granted the 333 exemption actually have a qualifying pilot's license, or even knew of that supplemental requirement when they applied and were granted the 333 exemption? Hmmm...
Many, like me, are hoping that the requirement for a pilot's license will be removed for our small aircraft. Maybe written tests and basic flight safety course. This, when the new regs are decided upon late this year or next. So it would pay to already have the exemption if you're going to do commercial work with it.

Many, like me, are hoping that the requirement for a pilot's license will be removed for our small aircraft. Maybe written tests and basic flight safety course. This, when the new regs are decided upon late this year or next. So it would pay to already have the exemption if you're going to do commercial work with it.
When the Part 107 rules are finalized and effective (my guess is early 2017), you will still need an FAA-issued pilot certificate. The Part 107 rules will create a new class of pilot certificate for UAS operators that will only require a written examination.

When the Part 107 rules are finalized and effective (my guess is early 2017), you will still need an FAA-issued pilot certificate. The Part 107 rules will create a new class of pilot certificate for UAS operators that will only require a written examination.
And that I can live with. I was speaking to the expense of having to get an actual pilot's license, learning to fly an actual plane. No way most commercial drone users are gonna do that.

And that I can live with. I was speaking to the expense of having to get an actual pilot's license, learning to fly an actual plane. No way most commercial users are gonna do that.
Exactly. But in the interim, most of those 1,000 333 exemptions are really premature and of no use, unless you outsource your commercial drone flying to a licensed pilot, or already are one yourself. Certainly raises the bar for competition, but so many are doing it illegally by flying "under the radar" that the competitive benefit is of no real practical use. When drone flying is outlawed, only outlaws will be flying drones! :cool:

Reactions: snerd
Exactly. But in the interim, most of those 1,000 333 exemptions are really premature and of no use, unless you outsource your commercial drone flying to a licensed pilot, or already are one yourself. Certainly raises the bar for competition, but so many are doing it illegally by flying "under the radar" that the competitive benefit is of no real practical use. When drone flying is outlawed, only outlaws will be flying drones! :cool:
Not illegal. Unless you hold a private or sports pilot certificate, there is no rule to be broken by a commercial flight of a hobby-type aircraft. If you do hold a Private or Sports Pilot certificate then you can be busted for violating 14 CFR §61.113 or §61.101 which specifically say that a Private or Sport Pilot cannot fly for commercial purposes.

Not illegal. Unless you hold a private or sports pilot certificate, there is no rule to be broken by a commercial flight of a hobby-type aircraft. If you do hold a Private or Sports Pilot certificate then you can be busted for violating 14 CFR §61.113 or §61.101 which specifically say that a Private or Sport Pilot cannot fly for commercial purposes.
I like that interpretation! Kind of like the Department of Real Estate has no jurisdiction over you unless you already have one of their real estate licenses! Better to be unlicensed than licensed, in many cases! Thanks for the clarification. Time to start charging for my drone flying skills for photography and video! No pilot's license to jeopardize! :cool:

I like that interpretation! Kind of like the Department of Real Estate has no jurisdiction over you unless you already have one of their real estate licenses! Better to be unlicensed than licensed, in many cases! Thanks for the clarification. Time to start charging for my drone flying skills for photography and video! No pilot's license to jeopardize! :cool:
It's all just a friggin mess, because the bureaucrats at the bureaucracy are so slow to act. Steve will say differently, but this was seen coming years ago. But we have a "very" anti-business regime in office now (you didn't build that). Look no further to know where the delay is.

Reactions: Goldni
It's all just a friggin mess, because the bureaucrats at the bureaucracy are so slow to act. Steve will say differently, but this was seen coming years ago. But we have a "very" anti-business regime in office now (you didn't build that). Look no further to know where the delay is.
Frankly, I see the delay as a window of opportunity. We have about 1 to 2 years before we'll be outlaws doing what is perfectly legal for now! I am flying as much as I can everywhere, shooting 4K video and stills that will be virtually impossible to shoot in the future!:cool:

While there are currently no rules, Part 107, when final, will codify the Section 336 definition of hobby flight in 14 CFR 101.1 (a)(5)(e). Meaning, there will be a rule prohibiting unlicensed commercial operation of hobby-type UAS. You can expect some FAA activity in the enforcement of these rules when they become effective.

While there are currently no rules, Part 107, when final, will codify the Section 336 definition of hobby flight in 14 CFR 101.1 (a)(5)(e). Meaning, there will be a rule prohibiting unlicensed commercial operation of hobby-type UAS. You can expect some FAA activity in the enforcement of these rules when they become effective.
What do you foresee for hobbyists? Basically the same? Maybe some stricter recommendations with teeth?

Yes, I will disagree. The Part 107 rules are proceeding through the FAA channels at bureaucratic light speed. The new rules could be final in as little as three years from their first proposal, but I really expect it to be early 2017. Most FAA NPRMs take between five and ten years to finalize.

Keep your right-wing misinformation out of the posts, please.

Yes, I will disagree. The Part 107 rules are proceeding through the FAA channels at bureaucratic light speed. The new rules could be final in as little as three years from their first proposal, but I really expect it to be early 2017. Most FAA NPRMs take between five and ten years to finalize.

Keep your right-wing misinformation out of the posts, please.
Not misinformation, leftie. It's almost impossible, when discussing new regulations, to "not" have to touch on what is happening behind the scenes. It (politics) plays a big role, and is involved in any discussion of it. I will try to contain my rants, though. :cool:

Reactions: Goldni

I love No Rules! :D I can live with early 2017. That's roughly an 18 month window of opportunity! Plenty of time to shoot everything I want! :cool: Might need a couple of P3P's, in case the current one reaches the end of its useful life before then!

I DO. Only a person who does no research whatsoever would not know a license is not required. The FAA places every approved 333 application online!.

I DO. Only a person who does no research whatsoever would not know a license is not required. The FAA places every approved 333 application online!.
Cool! I have heard here on the Forum of those that applied for it who did not realize a pilot's license was required to use the granted exemption. Just not sure how widespread it is.

I love No Rules! :D I can live with early 2017. That's roughly an 18 month window of opportunity! Plenty of time to shoot everything I want! :cool: Might need a couple of P3P's, in case the current one reaches the end of its useful life before then!
Early 2017 is my guess only. It could be as early as 1Q16 since they are getting congressional pressure to do something.
you would still be subject to 14 CFR 91.13 - 'Careless or reckless operation', so be careful. Stay out of the news and don't give the FAA a reason to finalize the rules any faster.

Early 2017 is my guess only. It could be as early as 1Q16 since they are getting congressional pressure to do something.
you would still be subject to 14 CFR 91.13 - 'Careless or reckless operation', so be careful. Stay out of the news and don't give the FAA a reason to finalize the rules any faster.
That's the plan! I am already on what I consider Bonus Time! Appreciate the input. The longer they take the better! Responsible flying only, and as discretely as possible!:cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic