Newest firmware less stable?

Does this look normal for 11mph winds with 16mph gusts?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I belive that looks fine, I'm going to go out later today to fly and I'll double check,we have a front moving through so we have some gusts as well o can compare to.

Reactions: KingDad1985
I have noticed it. I thought it might of just been the wind but even when I got out of the wind and came in low to land it was all over the place. It really makes me feel uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Ever since the new firmware update my bird has been unstable as heck and I thought I was the only one! Even after a VPS it wasn't any better for me, after auto launch with no joystick input the bird will get very close to the ground :(

You are right! It's definitely not as stable as the last firmware! I believe it has to do with the VPS,I was flying over my driveway and street,the sway I would say was about 3ft from where it was positioned. However when I flew over a storm drain,that had a huge silver lid around the concrete the phantom stayed locked on and didn't sway at all. I'm almost thinking if the VPS is having problems seeing the ground. Can anyone else try this and see what results you get?

You are right! It's definitely not as stable as the last firmware! I believe it has to do with the VPS,I was flying over my driveway and street,the sway I would say was about 3ft from where it was positioned. However when I flew over a storm drain,that had a huge silver lid around the concrete the phantom stayed locked on and didn't sway at all. I'm almost thinking if the VPS is having problems seeing the ground. Can anyone else try this and see what results you get?
I downgraded. I never had any of the problems the current firmware fixes. So I should be OK

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

There are many situations which will give the VPS trouble.
As you've seen it needs a definite pattern to lock on to and can't deal with uniform textures.
I suspect that's what some here have been observing and blaming on firmware.
To check, just fly your Phantom higher than VPS range and let the Phantom use GPS for stability or disable VPS and see how this changes things.
Here's a list from the manual of limitations for the VPS/Obstacle Avoidance systems.
Obstacle%20Avoidance-L.jpg

Actually, come to think of it, I was hovering a white cemented parking lot. Possibly the VPS was just seeing white with nothing to lock on to.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yeah mine is definitely worse within range of the VPS but I was hovering over grass in my instance.. This is why I thought i had to calibrate the VPS but i didnt really notice any improvement. I havent actually been flying enough to know for sure

I'm learning as I go, but I thought the VPS was used, when in range, to enhance stability already offered by sat...when sats are acquired and used. Is what is being mentioned to suggest sat stability is either not used at all when VPS is in range, or sat stability is trumped all together when VPS is in use?
I hope not.

I'm learning as I go, but I thought the VPS was used, when in range, to enhance stability already offered by sat...when sats are acquired and used. Is what is being mentioned to suggest sat stability is either not used at all when VPS is in range, or sat stability is trumped all together when VPS is in use?
I hope not.

AFAIK, VPS will be used in conjunction with GPS (when in P-mode and VPS is in range <15m) to give the best possible positioning or at least I would assume so. There might be a bias towards VPS or GPS at certain altitudes.. Narrow sensing hold feature for example relies more heavily on the forward/backward facing sensors and less on the side sensors, im sure it would be similar..

This is from DJI website for p4pro.

Vertical:
±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning)
±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
Horizontal:
±0.3 m (with Vision Positioning)
±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)

AFAIK, VPS will be used in conjunction with GPS (when in P-mode and VPS is in range <15m) to give the best possible positioning or at least I would assume so. There might be a bias towards VPS or GPS at certain altitudes.. Narrow sensing hold feature for example relies more heavily on the forward/backward facing sensors and less on the side sensors, im sure it would be similar..

This is from DJI website for p4pro.

Vertical:
±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning)
±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
Horizontal:
±0.3 m (with Vision Positioning)
±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)

You and I assume the same then...but if this was the actual case, I would thing they would have listed the vertical and horizontal accuracy, as you included above, as "when using both VPS and GPS...". Looks like they have broken them out maybe to suggest they are not utilized at the same time?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic