Newegg Buying Experience - Refurbished P4

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on a refurbished P4 sold through Newegg and thought I'd check and see if anyone has experience to share regarding buying or returning new / refurbished Phantoms from them.
Chatted with their support to ensure their 30 day return policy applies and 'trumps' DJI's 15 day window for refurbs.

Thanks

I actually ordered a refurbished P3A from the DJI Official Store on newegg as well yesterday. Are y'all still showing "Order Verification" as your status?

I actually ordered a refurbished P3A from the DJI Official Store on newegg as well yesterday. Are y'all still showing "Order Verification" as your status?
Can you buy the DJI protection plan with those?
upload_2016-11-14_12-43-1.png

Not to go completely off topic but since I've seen John Locke's post on range testing....Going from a P3A with a GL300C remote to a P4 with GL300C remote (assuming it will be the GL300C) do you foresee significant loss of range? As well, something I don't see discussed much, are the video dropouts typically more or less pronounced P3A (GL300C) vs P4 (GL300C)? I know the live feed quality is better but haven't see my questions directly addressed, only indirectly answered (perhaps inadvertently LOL).

Uhoh, one more: when I lost signal on my P3A I would frequently experience exaggerated inputs being processed by the bird. Is this typical of the product family or just the P3 OR was mine just atypical?

BTW: Thanks for all the info you've posted JL.

Not to go completely off topic but since I've seen John Locke's post on range testing....Going from a P3A with a GL300C remote to a P4 with GL300C remote (assuming it will be the GL300C) do you foresee significant loss of range? As well, something I don't see discussed much, are the video dropouts typically more or less pronounced P3A (GL300C) vs P4 (GL300C)? I know the live feed quality is better but haven't see my questions directly addressed, only indirectly answered (perhaps inadvertently LOL).

Uhoh, one more: when I lost signal on my P3A I would frequently experience exaggerated inputs being processed by the bird. Is this typical of the product family or just the P3 OR was mine just atypical?

BTW: Thanks for all the info you've posted JL.

I don't have experience with the P3A with GL300C. I do know that when using a P4, the GL300C is the weakest Lightbridge RC that DJI has ever produced, based on my testing. That's why so many P4 owners upgrade their antenna setup. However, MaxxUAS has evidence that each craft link may influence the power output of the RC. They say that the same RC can demonstrate different RF power characteristics when linked to different craft. I find this interesting, but haven't tested this theory myself with different combinations of craft linked to the same RC, measuring the RF outputs for comparison.

It's logical that P3A with GL300C would not perform as well as older P3A or P3P with GL300B or GL300A, given what I've measured for RF output from these RCs. But I cannot say for sure, because I haven't tested it. Maybe others have, such as MaxxUAS who has DJI hardware and the test equipment to compare things.

One mystery for me is how can P3A, P3P and P4 all ship with the same model GL300C? One of them has a PSA mode switch LABEL and the other two has a PAF mode switch LABELs. I realize both radios operate identical, each craft just interprets the same signals differently. But these two craft should have different labels on the mode switch, right? Yet DJI uses the same GL300C model number on these differently labeled RCs. Can anyone explain that? Is it possible the inside is different too? I'm thinking this is unlikely since they use the same FCC cert number, printed on the RC (I think that's the case).

We should move this to a new thread.

Reactions: Badgenes
I don't have experience with the P3A with GL300C. I do know that when using a P4, the GL300C is the weakest Lightbridge RC that DJI has ever produced, based on my testing. That's why so many P4 owners upgrade their antenna setup. However, MaxxUAS has evidence that each craft link may influence the power output of the RC. They say that the same RC can demonstrate different RF power characteristics when linked to different craft. I find this interesting, but haven't tested this theory myself with different combinations of craft linked to the same RC, measuring the RF outputs for comparison.

It's logical that P3A with GL300C would not perform as well as older P3A or P3P with GL300B or GL300A, given what I've measured for RF output from these RCs. But I cannot say for sure, because I haven't tested it. Maybe others have, such as MaxxUAS who has DJI hardware and the test equipment to compare things.

One mystery for me is how can P3A, P3P and P4 all ship with the same model GL300C? One of them has a PSA mode switch LABEL and the other two has a PAF mode switch LABELs. I realize both radios operate identical, each craft just interprets the same signals differently. But these two craft should have different labels on the mode switch, right? Yet DJI uses the same GL300C model number on these differently labeled RCs. Can anyone explain that? Is it possible the inside is different too? I'm thinking this is unlikely since they use the same FCC cert number, printed on the RC (I think that's the case).

We should move this to a new thread.
Ah, good point and one I am surprised I missed especially given I read the P4 manual last night (hurry up newegg) and noted the added 'pause' rather than 'playback' and the difference in mode selection.

Well, hopefully I get near the same range and don't experience the odd control behavior my P3A did. I wonder since that one I had to send back due to cracking in 28 days, roughly 14 flights into it.

Interesting point.

I have 2 Phantoms, a P3P and P4. Both came with GL300C remote controller. I get better range in my P4 stock, without using range booster, than the P3P.
Yesterday afternoon was a relaxing day so decided to go to my local park and brought the P4 (blackout) and forgot the range booster in the backpack where the P3P is. I flew out to 3,900 feet at about 300 ft high and no problems, I have never been able to go this far in my P3P without the range boosters.

Mine has been in that status since day of order (Wed 11/9 @ 820pm EST). Yesterday at 118pm, I got email from Newegg that my order is authorized and verification is now complete. Looks like it's moving along, but glacially slow.

Mine has been in that status since day of order (Wed 11/9 @ 820pm EST). Yesterday at 118pm, I got email from Newegg that my order is authorized and verification is now complete. Looks like it's moving along, but glacially slow.
That is unfortunate it is taking so long! I am extremely excited as this will be my first REAL UAS.

Please keep us updated on the progress! I'd really really hoped to have mine by Turkey Day, not looking too good if they are this slow :(

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have the Order Status page bookmarked and check it a few times a day. Also monitor my email account for an email from either DJI or NewEgg. I assume yours is also "Sold and Shipped by DJI Official Store"?

Currently my status is as follows:
http://screencast.com/t/wM8xI5eav

I will keep this thread notified as things progress. I hope to have it by Turkey day as well. Keep our fingers crossed...

Interesting point.

I have 2 Phantoms, a P3P and P4. Both came with GL300C remote controller. I get better range in my P4 stock, without using range booster, than the P3P.
Yesterday afternoon was a relaxing day so decided to go to my local park and brought the P4 (blackout) and forgot the range booster in the backpack where the P3P is. I flew out to 3,900 feet at about 300 ft high and no problems, I have never been able to go this far in my P3P without the range boosters.
A range of 3900' in my book is getting robbed of your freedom of the sky, but that's me. That's exactly the range I got with my P4 and GL300C controller (custom quiet ch, 4mbps). The problem is my P3P with (GL300A) was always going 2 to 3 miles with a windsurfer. For months I didn't fly my P4 because of it's poor range. Then I linked a GL658A Inspire controller to my P4 craft. Now it can easily go 2+miles, and I've gone over 3 miles in quiet areas. I don't feel I'm a distance junkie, but I certainly like the freedom of going somewhere without worry of a weak signal. Ocu-Sync? I'm in, if it's really got a better range.

I've learned not to believe DJI marketing hype. Remember the P4 hype.... 28min? 3.1mi? NOT ! It's more like 21min and <1mi using a stock GL300C controller.

I still love the DJI products, the best!

Last edited:
Just got email from DJI. Appers they are currently out of stock and waiting for more refurb inventory... http://screencast.com/t/KvDlauAFM

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31