Newbies, please read this...

Reaction score
Newbie? Here is a brief summary of this board. It'll save you going through pages and pages...

0. Read the manual. And watch loads of YouTube videos. There's a GREAT manual here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23596

1. If you’ve crashed it and bent the gimbal or tore the little black ribbon cable, you can only send it back to DJI for repair or buy a new camera/gimbal combination. You CANNOT substitute a GoPro camera with a Zenmuse. End of story.***UPDATE*** the thin black ribbon cable has been made available in VERY LIMITED numbers. You might be able to get one. Try eBay, but they're v expensive. ***Further update*** There are a couple of helpful guys on here Hani and Bulbark who are now able to repair gimbals.

2. If your gimbal is shaking and vibrating or off the level, you may be able to repair it following the advice here viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19653&hilit=solved

3. If the gimbal is off level slightly, a full IMU recalibration in the software assistant may cure it. Make sure that you are plugging the cable into the slot under the white rubber grommet on the airframe and not plugging it into the camera...

4. If you remove the camera/gimbal, you will not be able to see anything in the app.

5. The camera is NOT replaceable with a GoPro. *update* Dronexpert have introduced a kit that will allow a GoPro to be used, but it's relatively untested and fairly expensive.

6. If you dunk your V+ in sea water throw it away. Little apart from the plastic is worth saving.

7. If you dunk your V+ in fresh water, get it out as quickly as possible and take it apart. Use a hair drier liberally and then put everything in a sealed container and cover it in uncooked rice. Leave it there for three or four days before attempting to turn it back on.

8. Do not take off until you have home point recorded. This is the second set of rapidly flashing green lights. The number of satellites indicated on the app will turn blue.***Update*** There is a new dynamic home point available in the app that recalculates where the TX is every two seconds and adjusts the home point to there. However, if Return To Home (RTH) is initiated and you're moving, it will fly back to where the home point was when the RTH was initiated. Important if you're in a boat!

9. If you lose satellites when in flight, the craft will enter ATTI mode and MAY get blown away. This is not a fly away, it is normal.

10. When taking off from the ground give it full throttle and release when it gets up a few feet. Let it sit and hover for a while to make sure it responds to all of the controls. It is easy to hand launch.

11. You cannot turn down the yaw sensitivity. Learn to be more gentle with the controls.***update*** some guys have put resistors (or other electronic gubbins) in their transmitters to slow down the yaw. It is possible to lengthen the sticks by unscrewing them out a little further. They come in two halves, the lower being a lock nut. Screw them out almost to the end of the threads and lock in place. About 1/2 an inch can be gained.

12. You can adjust the Return to Home height via the assistant software or via the app. Standard RTH height is either current elevation OR 20m (66feet) whichever is highest. If there are buildings or trees in the way when flying at this elevation on Return to Home, the aircraft WILL hit them. You can mitigate against this by setting RTH height higher than the tallest obstacle in your area.

13. When using waypoints, the craft will fly from the ground to the first waypoint altitude gradually. Imagine a wire stretched between the waypoints that you have added. If there is a tree or a building on that travel route, the aircraft WILL hit it.

14. The aircraft will complete its waypoint mission even if the transmitter is turned off. It will hover above the home point until you regain control by flicking S1 to ATTI and back again.

15. Do not use prop guards as these are almost universally accepted to enhance a wobbling state when hovering or descending called Vortex Ring State (Google it). If you have had them on, but are in the process of taking them off, use the original screws not the longer ones that came with the prop guards. The long ones will eat into the motors and ruin them.

16. Standard props and batteries are good. Carbon fibre props have been proven by many to adversely affect the handling of the Phantom.

17. Flickering in video may be caused by the props creating shadows while filming straight into the sun. A little electrical tape to shield the top of the lens often helps.

18. There are lots of opinions on using the latest firmware. And everyone will tell you something different. I always use the latest. Just my preference.

19. If using Windows to upgrade firmware, you have to download the DJI drivers first.

20. The ‘7th channel’ lever (if you added it) to control tilting the camera down will not work when the app is switched on unless you have selected the upgrade remote option in the assistant software. Even then, the system is set up for use with the new controller with the central stop. You may need to modify the lever to include a click stop unless you have very sensitive fingers! ***update***The updated transmitter with the wheel tilter works really well, very smooth.

21. Booster apps are available to extend the FPV range. Some do a modification with shields behind the antennae to reflect the signal.

22. There are numerous upgrades to antennae to extend both control range and FPV range.

23. You can switch the aircraft from Phantom mode to NAZA mode to enable other goodies such as Intellegent Orientation Control (course lock and home lock).

24. The camera is NOT replaceable with a GoPro. (see 5)

25. Do the compass dance when moving to a far off location (>30 miles).

26. Remove the Gimbal lock before powering up the aircraft.

27. You can increase the transmitter range by changing from CE mode to FCC mode. On the rear of the transmitter turn the pot in the lower hole on the right hand side clockwise. When switching on you should hear two beeps. Also check in the software assistant that FCC mode is engaged.

28. There is a pilot training guide that can be downloaded from DJI's website. Work through this before attempting any adventurous manoeuvrings!

29. If you forget to stop recording a video before turning off the aircraft, and subsequently find that the video won't play on your pc, put the SD card back into the slot and power on the craft again. Leave it for about 30 seconds to finalise. You should be able to watch the video, but may lose a few seconds off the end.

30. The camera is NOT replaceable with a GoPro. (see 5 above)

31. You cannot replace the transmitter with a non-DJI one as they operate on different frequencies. The V+ operates on 5.8GHz and this frequency is not yet commercially available from other manufacturers.

happydays said:
Newbie? Here is a brief summary of this board. It'll save you going through pages and pages...

1. If you’ve crashed it and bent the gimbal or tore the little black ribbon cable, you can only send it back to DJI for repair or buy a new camera/gimbal combination. You CANNOT substitute a GoPro camera with a Zenmuse. End of story.

2. If your gimbal is shaking and vibrating or off the level, you may be able to repair it following the advice here viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19653&hilit=solved

3. If the gimbal is off level slightly, a full IMU recalibration in the software assistant may cure it.

4. If you remove the camera/gimbal, you will not be able to see anything in the app.

5. The camera is NOT replaceable with a GoPro.

6. If you dunk your V+ in sea water throw it away. Little apart from the plastic is worth saving.

7. If you dunk your V+ in fresh water, get it out as quickly as possible and take it apart. Use a hair drier liberally and then put everything in a sealed container and cover it in uncooked rice. Leave it there for three or four days before attempting to turn it back on.

8. Do not take off until you have home point recorded. This is the second set of rapidly flashing green lights. The number of satellites indicated on the app will turn blue.

9. If you lose satellites when in flight, the craft will enter ATTI mode and MAY get blown away. This is not a fly away, it is normal.

10. When taking off from the ground give it full throttle and release when it gets up a few feet. Let it sit and hover for a while to make sure it responds to all of the controls.

11. You cannot turn down the yaw sensitivity. Learn to be more gentle with the controls.

12. You cannot adjust the Return to Home height. It is either current elevation OR 20m (66feet) whichever is highest. If there are buildings or trees in the way when flying at this elevation on Return to Home, the aircraft WILL hit them.

13. When using waypoints, the craft will fly from the ground to the first waypoint altitude gradually. Imagine a wire stretched between the waypoints that you have added. If there is a tree or a building on that travel route, the aircraft WILL hit it.

14. The aircraft will complete its waypoint mission even if the transmitter is turned off. It will hover above the home point until you regain control by flicking S1 to ATTI and back again.

15. Do not use prop guards as these are almost universally accepted to enhance a wobbling state when hovering or descending called Vortex Ring State (Google it).

16. Standard props and batteries are good.

17. Flickering in video may be caused by the props creating shadows. A little electrical tape to shield the lens often helps.

18. There are lots of opinions on using the latest firmware. And everyone will tell you something different. I always use the latest. Just my preference.

19. If using Windows to upgrade firmware, you have to download the DJI drivers first.

20. The ‘7th channel’ lever (if you added it) to control tilting the camera down will not work when the app is switched on. Developers are working on a solution but it’s not ready yet.

21. Booster apps are available to extend the FPV range. Some do a modification with shields behind the antennae to reflect the signal.

22. There are numerous upgrades to antennae to extend both control range and FPV range.

23. You can switch the aircraft from Phantom mode to NAZA mode to enable other goodies such as Intellegent Orientation Control (course lock and home lock).

24. The camera is NOT replaceable with a GoPro.

Good job, should be a sticky! But not in the "sticky section", nobody looks there before posting.
PS # 5 & 24 is the same, might be intentional?

So are you saying I can't replace the camera ?
Only joking......
I would add a number 25, Read the ******* manual before asking stupid questions.....

And view as many Youtube videos on setup, instruction and use as possible.

Re No. 13 - I sent mine on a 0.8 mile waypoint mission yesterday. First one after updating firmware and app. Strange behaviour at end. It came back to final waypoint and then the app showed ' Uploading Waypoint 1, 2, 3, etc' again. No idea if it was going to loop the mission like in main GS but has never done that with the basic app before. Just wondering if they have changed/added that feature. I've not found anything to turn it off. Naturally, I switched to manual mode and brought her down.

Anyone else notice any changed behaviour with the new app?

I agree with harbourside. Add "Have you read the manual?" as the first troubleshooting step.

I am all for helping people and wanting new people to participate in the forums but at the same time, seeing post after post of the same questions is poor forum etiquette. :roll:

Agree, reading manual can solve most problems before they happen. Suggest one addition to the list: Always do compass calibration when flying at a new location.

There are two settings for transmitter power.
For the US market phantoms will usually be supplied in FCC mode.
This is a slightlyhigher transmitting power and will give greater range than those supplied to the European market in CE mode.

You can change between the two modes by turning a pot on the back of the controller and selecting as appropriate in the assistant software. Obviously you would not think to do this except to be fully compliant with local requirements should you travel with your phantom.

wattsn said:
And view as many Youtube videos on setup, instruction and use as possible.

Re No. 13 - I sent mine on a 0.8 mile waypoint mission yesterday. First one after updating firmware and app. Strange behaviour at end. It came back to final waypoint and then the app showed ' Uploading Waypoint 1, 2, 3, etc' again. No idea if it was going to loop the mission like in main GS but has never done that with the basic app before. Just wondering if they have changed/added that feature. I've not found anything to turn it off. Naturally, I switched to manual mode and brought her down.

Anyone else notice any changed behaviour with the new app?
This is really a hijacjacking post. No offence...just create a new topic thread for better responses. :)

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Happydays: this is a great post but like so many before you including myself it will drift down and get lost in the deep abyss of this forum. Until the mods take up the challenge and create a FAQ section it will sadly be a waste of space except for newbs connecting at this instant. Its been talked about and suggested but nothing ever done. Stickies are not the answer except maybe in a newb forum. If there was a comprehensive FAQ all we have to do is say 'Answer is in FAQ section, please check it out'. I'm all for helping people, Lord knows I've done so many times, it does get tedious and in the end I'm more chosey in my responses.

Please Mods can this be done? There are loads here that would help.

Reactions: dirkclod
Number 15 rule only applies if you are in completely open country with no people around whatsoever. If you fly without them in a populated area in any way it will be the difference between possiby giving somebody a nasty scratch on their face and taking their eye out should the Phantom come down. That said all the others are excellent and will save Newcomers a lot of time.

happydays.
thanks, great info...

IrishSights said:
Happydays: this is a great post but like so many before you including myself it will drift down and get lost in the deep abyss of this forum. Until the mods take up the challenge and create a FAQ section it will sadly be a waste of space except for newbs connecting at this instant. Its been talked about and suggested but nothing ever done. Stickies are not the answer except maybe in a newb forum. If there was a comprehensive FAQ all we have to do is say 'Answer is in FAQ section, please check it out'. I'm all for helping people, Lord knows I've done so many times, it does get tedious and in the end I'm more chosey in my responses.

Please Mods can this be done? There are loads here that would help.

unfortunatelly phpbb isnt the most robust forum solution and it misses key functions, like sending a welcome message/emal to new registered users where this info could be attached.
i have no idea about who is the owner of this forum, but might consider switching to vbulletin, he's still on time :)

All good, with the exception of 6. I did send my Phantom 2 Vision to the bottom in salt water and it lived to fly another day.

1. Remove battery ASAP
2. Flush with fresh water ASAP
3. Remove case (and camera case) and flush with distilled water.
4. Blow out with compressed air.
5. Place in front of air conditioner diffuser for 48 hours
6. Reassemble and install new battery

Great post.. I too wish this info could be auto forwarded when joining the board.

Re #12 - has this been confirmed? I remember reading on several posts that several have said the altitude used on RTH resets when you establish a new home point during flight. The telemetry data stays the same, but RTH altitude is reset. Wanna these days, if I remember, I'll give it a try to see what mine does.

Thanks again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl