FCD

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new to the drone thing and thought I might pass along some of my experience.
I've actually I have a lot of experience operating radio controlled cars, boats and planes. Not the $20 toys but fairly sophisticated models.
While learning to fly the P4, I had a couple of minor incidents resulting in very hard landing or minor crashes. Lucky for me the damage was limited to Propeller's. This forum was very helpful in diagnosing my errors. I learned that my problems were related to firmware updates. I wasn't doing them in the correct order or not updating the drone itself. After correcting the updates, i've had no problem flying.
I have now moved on to getting the most out of my camera. I'm not a photographer but I am learning.
My next real challenge is that I would like to fly over water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, any maintenance tips would be helpful.
Thanks in advance for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My next real challenge is that I would like to fly over water.
It's just like flying over land. The only real difference is that your Phantom will land in the water if it must auto land for some reason. As for tips:
  • If taking off from a boat, set the "Main Controller Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" --> "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover".
  • If taking off from a boat, learn how to hand launch/catch.
  • Mark the home point at a location over land if possible.Turn off the "Main Controller Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" --> "Smart Retun-to-Home" setting.
  • Monitor your battery voltage and ensure you land before the first battery cell reaches 3.3V.
  • Attach a GetterBack to the landing gear so you can retrieve your Phantom if it crashes into the water.

Hi guys. I'm new to the drone thing and thought I might pass along some of my experience.
I've actually I have a lot of experience operating radio controlled cars, boats and planes. Not the $20 toys but fairly sophisticated models.
While learning to fly the P4, I had a couple of minor incidents resulting in very hard landing or minor crashes. Lucky for me the damage was limited to Propeller's. This forum was very helpful in diagnosing my errors. I learned that my problems were related to firmware updates. I wasn't doing them in the correct order or not updating the drone itself. After correcting the updates, i've had no problem flying.
I have now moved on to getting the most out of my camera. I'm not a photographer but I am learning.
My next real challenge is that I would like to fly over water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, any maintenance tips would be helpful.
Thanks in advance for advice.

As soon as you said Radio controlled and not remote controlled I knew you were experienced lol.
Just remember to always hand catch on landing.
As for flying over the water it is fine. Signal is great just be careful of birds. They always congregate around water.

Thank you folks for the tips.
You have been very helpful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.