Reaction score
Picking up my P3S today....let the games begin

Have fun!
Make sure your first flight is in a nice big field.

OK....
Open Box ---- Check
Read all material ---- Check (Paperwork instructions really lack - website is very useful)
Registered with FAA ---- Check
Charged batteries ---- Check
Updated Firmware ---- Check
Calibrated Compass ---- Check
Hover ---- Check
First flight ---- Wow...Very impressed

I did not check the different flight modes yet, it was too dark. I did notice that no map showed up, I selected satelite view and still had a blank window. My cell reception at home is not very well so that might have been the issue, unless I missed a setting....Anyone have any other ideas?

I was very pleased on how well and easy everything went. I read alot of issues regarding the FW update but it worked flawless for me. Looking forward to some daylight flying tomorrow.

Last edited:
As my status states....Noob....I should have searched the forum before I posted the question. I did see a thread with the same issue and many solutions were to clear the cache, so I will try that tomorrow and see how it goes.

Edit: Didn't have to do anything....replayed flights and video from first flight....went back out and maps were there

Last edited:
Flew today no map overlay again....using Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Edge...can't find where to clear cache....China is turned off...any help would be greatly appreciated

Thx

Flew today no map overlay again....using Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Edge...can't find where to clear cache....China is turned off...any help would be greatly appreciated

Thx
Connect to WiFi and GPS and open the app. It should bring up your location on the map and you can zoom in and scroll around where you intend to fly. That will cache the map for when you connect the WiFi to the controller and help if you don't have or have crappy cell service.

If you shut down the Note then it will clear the cached map

I think you hit it right....I believe the issue I have been having is cell signal....Around here (Palm Coast, Fl) AT&T doesn't like us and the strength is poor....I did notice earlier that I was 4G lte and when I had a straight 4G signal the map showed....lesson learned!

Took the memory card out of the drone and put it in my computer (Windows 7 Pro)...Windows media player would not play the video. Downloaded VLC and it plays fine. I went back and checked the camera settings and it is defaulted to 2.7k (as it should). I switched it to 1080p and recorded a small video. Media player had no issues with that video. So I am posting this incase anyone else comes across the same problem.

I am currently trying to use VLC to convert the files...not sure what I am doing but going to see if it works.

One thing you might want to do is get the FAA's before-you-fly phone app to make sure there are no airports you have to notify when you fly. FYI: Their database is out of date in many cases so some of their reported airports aren't actually open anymore. For me personally, of the 4 airports in range, only one of them is actually still opened.

Also check for state or local laws where you fly.

I'm suggesting these things because I didn't when I started and had to course-correct as I gained knowledge. I ended up having to delete some recorded footage because in TX you can't record private property w/out permission. Stuff like that. :)

Also: You should look into the Litchi for DJI app. It's pretty great. It does sometimes conflict with the regular DJI GO app so you need to force-quit that before starting Litchi, FYI.

One more thing regarding the videos:

1) I would always choose 2.7K. The quality is just so much better. Windows media player is a piece of junk anyway, though it's likely the reason that the 1080p video worked later is actually because VLC installed a video codec that windows media player didn't have the first time around. There's a good chance the 2.7K video will work in media player now that VLC is installed.
2) Youtube will take the raw 2.7K files, so you can just upload them straight to there and keep a private video collection on youtube. :)

1) I would always choose 2.7K. The quality is just so much better. Windows media player is a piece of junk anyway, though it's likely the reason that the 1080p video worked later is actually because VLC installed a video codec that windows media player didn't have the first time around. There's a good chance the 2.7K video will work in media player now that VLC is installed.
2) Youtube will take the raw 2.7K files, so you can just upload them straight to there and keep a private video collection on youtube. :)
I am trying that now...I have never uploaded to YouTube before, will I be able to edit the video once it's uploaded?

I am trying that now...I have never uploaded to YouTube before, will I be able to edit the video once it's uploaded?
You can do some simple edits like color correction, trimming, and adding music on youtube. Nothing too advanced, but if nothing else it's great for just dumping footage into so you don't have to keep it on your HDD and/or worry about losing it if a meteor hits your computer. :-D

You can if you like. I believe it is a button that says manage videos (or. Close to that :)). You can add music, change color, etc.

You can do some simple edits like color correction, trimming, and adding music on youtube. Nothing too advanced, but if nothing else it's great for just dumping footage into so you don't have to keep it on your HDD and/or worry about losing it if a meteor hits your computer. :-D
Thanks....I always want to be prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse :)

Reactions: Hickeroar

Youtube will take the raw 2.7K files, so you can just upload them straight to there and keep a private video collection on youtube. :)

Finally figured out how to upload....the next step will see if I can post the link here.

Reactions: Hickeroar
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

One thing you might want to do is get the FAA's before-you-fly phone app to make sure there are no airports you have to notify when you fly. FYI: Their database is out of date in many cases so some of their reported airports aren't actually open anymore. For me personally, of the 4 airports in range, only one of them is actually still opened.

Also check for state or local laws where you fly.

I'm suggesting these things because I didn't when I started and had to course-correct as I gained knowledge. I ended up having to delete some recorded footage because in TX you can't record private property w/out permission. Stuff like that. :)

Also: You should look into the Litchi for DJI app. It's pretty great. It does sometimes conflict with the regular DJI GO app so you need to force-quit that before starting Litchi, FYI.
So in TX if your flying lets say in a public park and you fly over some farmland or a neighborhood that's over a treeline while your recording, you've broken the law??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers