Reaction score
Hello, I didn't see an introduction or a welcome area, so hopefully I'm posting in the right area as a newcomer to this forum and as a newbie to the RC world.

I will have some basic questions to get started and wanted to make sure the General Discussion topic area is a place to post them.

My interest is in shooting video for recreation and fun. My photography background has me interested in this very different perspective, I find it very fascinating and interesting from viewing stills and video from this perspective. However, shooting out of the gates with my quadcopter is not my intention. I want to get proficient at flying first, without having the added hardware and cost aboard.

Thank you,

Chuck in Indy

Welcome to the site! I assume that you are in Indianapolis correct? Im only about 30 miles outside of indy (south west) and there are several guys on the forum that are fairly near to you also. Do you have a Phantom yet? if so what kind? Where do you fly?

Welcome. What are you looking to get? The Phantom is very easy to fly and you can be shooting video and stills from your very first flight.

chuddly, i'm in the INDY area - south just at tad in Morgan county.

Catalina/Chuddly - I do not have a Phantom YET, I'm in the very beginning stages doing my research of reviews and pros/cons on the quadcopters. The Phantom leads the way by far from the casual user to the more experienced.

I'm writing to ask for help for first timers to the Phantom drones.

Here are some of my desires - please let me know if my intended purchases needs adjusted.

I'd like not to invest in the gimbal/camera at this point, just to keep the extra hardware safe from beginner mistakes.

I'd like to start with a good radio, the FUTABA seems to be leading the way in this area.

I'd like to swap out the motors with the higher end T-MOTOR motors.

Do I purchase the Phantom shell and 'soup' it up a little (or have is 'souped' up) with quality components, i.e. GPS receiver, etc.

The reason I'd like to start out with quality gear is to take the question out of the equation. If I have problems, do I blame the equipment/hardware or is it operator error? Some of the problems I've read about with the Phantom out of the box (one motor not acting like the others, the radio/controller components made not of the FUTABA quality).

If, I'm going to upgrade motors and radios anyway, I find it financially smarter to start off doing that out of the gates instead of purchasing potentially inferior hardware at first then eventually upgrading. Although the inverse thinking would be to get the 'lesser quality' hardware now incase of damage.

These are thoughts that are certainly best answere by you all and would certainly appreciate any opinions. Just looking for the first few steps a novice can take (joining a club, books, training, purchasing of good equipment or starting with a very chead quadcopter, etc.)

Thank you!!

i would say that your research has got you thinkin' funny. If it is dollars that you wish to conserve when you start this project, then I recommend you get the Phantom FC40. great quad and will do more then you want at this time. the camera comes separate and you can either have it on or off, the quad works either way. If you want to see what the quad is looking at then leave the camera on and watch your smart phone. It is really cool and cost you nothing, part of the package. At this point you don't need any motors or other radios, in that you have expressed no project that would require you to invest in those items. Nothing you get from DJI is inferior or not the best, sure you can soup things up, and I am sure you will but you might want to just fly stock till you learn. As you learn you will discover what things will make for a better experience and unless you have an unlimited bank account, you might wanna go kinda slow. Otherwise just go get a matrix or other heavy lifter and cut to the chase

I too am new to this - just a little further down the road having bought a setup. I am a keen amateur photographer/videographer hence my purchase.

I already had a Gopro hero 3 black which takes incredible 1080 50p footage to compliment my main camera. I am using/intend to use the Phantom for some extra interesting shots to add to my film making, not to become to aerial and loose the magic. I don't really have much use for going super high so it looks like google earth!

I bought the Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse 3D gimbal and a FPV monitor so I can frame shots. My reasons for this was firstly having a Gopro, but even if I had nothing, I probably would have gone down this route as in my opinion the Gopro footage look better than the Phantom Vision footage and has the added bonus of being able to be used off the Phantom and even underwater. I see no need to upgrade parts, it flies very well and much more than I need.

If you are a videographer, the gimbal is a must. If you look at the older vids on youtube, they are jerky as hell, have the dreaded jello effect and look really amateur. From my very first flight and footage with the gimbal it looks pro. So smooth, not a hint of wobble - basically a super smooth Hollywood look no matter how I threw the Phantom around.

If you are buying to video, you will not be disappointed. In the past I have made booms and cranes to get smooth elevated shots, but they are now totally redundant with this incredible kit. Easy to fly with minimal practice, but as you progress, so will your shots.

indy_chuck said:
chuddly, i'm in the INDY area - south just at tad in Morgan county.

Catalina/Chuddly - I do not have a Phantom YET, I'm in the very beginning stages doing my research of reviews and pros/cons on the quadcopters. The Phantom leads the way by far from the casual user to the more experienced.

I am in Morgan County also! I live in a small town called Eminence. I work down in Bloomington. I spend alot of time in Martinsville.

I agree with the guys above. for what you are talking about there is really no need to upgrade motor and all that stuff. I would get a P1.1.1 or a p40. they are the basic quads with nothing on it. Learn to fly it then start to modify it to fit what you want to do. I have done the same thing. I started with a P 1.1.1 then added my GoPro, then added a gimbal, Then added FPV setup. I also changed out my props to the P2V props for the benefits they give. Doing it this way puts the least expencive rig in the air while you are learning. If you crash (or should i say when? LOL) and tear up a motor then you can look at upgrading if you want. I have seen no reason that i need to change my motors yet though. If you wanted to meet up sometime you can see how mine is. Mine does fly more sluggish due to all the extra stuff....but you can see how it all is. Just let me know.

I dont think i would buy that set up....for a couple reasons.

1. the batteries- you can get better ones than that and if your going to pay for them then why not get better ones for the same price
2. Do you really want the whole FPV set up now? that was kinda the point of flying a light/simple machine so you dont tear up alot of stuff when/if you crash.

Im not saying its a bad set up....but i dont think its what alot of us were suggesting when we suggested something more simple.

I must be looking in the wrong area for a P1. Can anyone provide links or sites that have what is suggested as a starter kit?

Thanks!

Welcome. I am new to quad copters as well. Been in RC for many years, fixed wing and rotary wing. I'm in bartholomew county just south of Indy. Have had my FC40 for about 5 days at this point. Have done about 10 flights at this point. Only used the camera for a couple of flights. Just starting to go through basic flight training exercises to get my flying skills tuned up with this craft.

Looks like there are a good number of us in the general area. Would be great to find a place and time to do some flying together.

GfFlyer said:
Welcome. I am new to quad copters as well. Been in RC for many years, fixed wing and rotary wing. I'm in bartholomew county just south of Indy. Have had my FC40 for about 5 days at this point. Have done about 10 flights at this point. Only used the camera for a couple of flights. Just starting to go through basic flight training exercises to get my flying skills tuned up with this craft.

Looks like there are a good number of us in the general area. Would be great to find a place and time to do some flying together.

Thanks for the info, I actually work in Columbus.

Do you know if the FC40 or the P1.1.1 can be purchased without the camera and mount? This hardware will be upgraded and taken off anyway, so if there are companies that are selling these without the added hardware/cost, then that would be a route i'd like to pursue.......just trying to avoid wasting money on unwanted and unneeded accessories early in the game.

Thanks!

on the P1.1.1 its just a solid mount (probably $10 worth of a part) its really the cheapest way to go if your going to upgrade.

chuddly said:
on the P1.1.1 its just a solid mount (probably $10 worth of a part) its really the cheapest way to go if your going to upgrade.

Looked to me like you could buy the FC40 for like $20 more than the P1. To me I'd spend the $20 and get the FC40 camera. At that price difference the later upgrade would be an non-issue

GfFlyer said:
chuddly said:

Looked to me like you could buy the FC40 for like $20 more than the P1. To me I'd spend the $20 and get the FC40 camera. At that price difference the later upgrade would be an non-issue

No way i would get the FC40....it has 1/3 the range the P1.1.1 has (according to DJI's information) and it cost more. Plus because its on 5.8ghz it DOES NOT do well with anything that is not LOS. Yet another reason to not get the FC40

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj