Newbie!

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am totally new to drones. I acquired a used (all complete in box) DJI Phantom 3 Standard. I tested that it worked only in my apartment as I am in a controlled area, (Feather Sound) with St. Petersburg airport just a mile from me. On Christmas Day I decided to find a place to test it out. When I did one of the rotors was not working. All had done since it worked last was but and connect rotor guards to it. I now realize that I damaged the motor by choosing the wrong screw initially. The guards came with two different lengths, and of course I chose the longer one! Anyway I have a new motor coming on Thursday and I’m going to attempt to mount it myself. Anyway, just a warning. If you do mount rotor guards, don’t make the same mistake I did!

BTW, can anybody recommend a safe “legal” place where I can practice with my drone? Thanks for any advice!

Mark

Reactions: GFields
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. 👍

Reactions: GFields
Welcome. Suggest you take the FAA Trust exam, register the bird, as well as download the B4UFly app to see if it's kosher to fly at a particular destination.

Thank you for your reply, Yes I have taken those steps. I understand the “controlled vs uncontrolled”, just not sure about flying certain parks etc. Also not quite sure about “following the safety guidelines of a CBO”…do I need join a club in order to do that. Again, I appreciate any advice!

Thanks
Mark

Safe "legal" places to fly a drone will require some research on your part, as there is no general rule when it comes to that. States and local governments make their own rules regarding drones. I would suggest starting with your local city, county, and town and look at their posted regulations which are often found on their website. Keep in mind, while the FAA is the only government entity that controls the US airspace, local governments can prohibit use of the land for takeoff and landings - in essence making it very difficult if not impossible to legally fly within their municipality.

Reactions: snowghost
Hi folks, I am totally new to drones. I acquired a used (all complete in box) DJI Phantom 3 Standard.
Welcome Mark.

I now realize that I damaged the motor by choosing the wrong screw initially. The guards came with two different lengths, and of course I chose the longer one!
Many others have done this. Back in the day, we'd remind people at least once per day about the different screw lengths.

I have a new motor coming on Thursday and I’m going to attempt to mount it myself.
Be sure to strip the enameling (coating) from the motor wires. That enameling needs to come off with sand paper or some other means or the motor wont work.
Note that this is a coating on the wire itself. This is not the plastic insulation.
Stripping off the enameling is another thing we've highlighted to people many times over the years. Good luck sir.

Safe "legal" places to fly a drone will require some research on your part, as there is no general rule when it comes to that. States and local governments make their own rules regarding drones. I would suggest starting with your local city, county, and town and look at their posted regulations which are often found on their website. Keep in mind, while the FAA is the only government entity that controls the US airspace, local governments can prohibit use of the land for takeoff and landings - in essence making it very difficult if not impossible to legally fly within their municipality.
Thank you very much for your response’

Welcome Mark.

Many others have done this. Back in the day, we'd remind people at least once per day about the different screw lengths.

Be sure to strip the enameling (coating) from the motor wires. That enameling needs to come off with sand paper or some other means or the motor wont work.
Note that this is a coating on the wire itself. This is not the plastic insulation.
Stripping off the enameling is another thing we've highlighted to people many times over the years. Good luck sir.
Really good to know, I would never have known that! 👍

Thank you!
Mark

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.