Newbie with second hand Phantom 2

Reaction score
I have recently received a second hand Phantom 2, I can fly it fine but am struggling to get any decent distance out of the FPV setup, most I have had is 500 meters and that was with video breaking up all the time.

The video seems to break up all the time there is no stable feed, I thought that this was quite normal but after watching others on YouTube I see that people have solid video with the odd blip here and there.

I've attached a few photos of the set up.

Can anyone name the parts I have (mainly the transmitter)?

Did I have everything setup correctly?

Black Pearl is 8 channel and set to DV, band F. The channel I am using is channel 8.

Any advice for a newbie?

Thanks,

Malcolm

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442535664.532007.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442535698.053158.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442535016.325981.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442535743.003483.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442535763.177882.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442535801.265215.jpg

Get the Skyzone TS5823 200mw video transmitter

Last edited:
You can probably get about 1.5km away

Last edited:
I had the same experience before but found out that it makes a big difference on your power sequence, meaning which device to turn on first before the others. Power on in this sequence;

1. Controller
2. Phantom
3. GoPro
4. Monitor

Let me know how it goes. Hope that helps and happy flying!

Vz Note 5

Could you tell me what transmitter is on now?

I'm guessing I can see the name on the other side but don't want to pull it off the phantom as it's stuck on pretty good.

I'll try that sequence next time I fly.

Are my FPV antennas setup correctly?

Thanks

I have recently received a second hand Phantom 2, I can fly it fine but am struggling to get any decent distance out of the FPV setup, most I have had is 500 meters and that was with video breaking up all the time.

The video seems to break up all the time there is no stable feed, I thought that this was quite normal but after watching others on YouTube I see that people have solid video with the odd blip here and there.

I've attached a few photos of the set up.

Can anyone name the parts I have (mainly the transmitter)?

Did I have everything setup correctly?

Black Pearl is 8 channel and set to DV, band F. The channel I am using is channel 8.

Any advice for a newbie?

Thanks,

Malcolm

View attachment 31043View attachment 31044
View attachment 31042
View attachment 31045
View attachment 31046View attachment 31047

There's no need for a new transmitter because that isn't causing the the video drop outs. You do have a directional antenna on the monitor which has to be pointed in the direction of the P2. Also the antenna on the P2's TX is a stock antenna and should be pointed straight down and you might what to change that to a cloverleaf. That monitor comes with a sun hood did you get that with the set up?? With out it you 'll have a hard time seeing anything on the screen on a bright sunny day

By the way how far would like to fly as 500 meters is a good distance for VLOS.

Thanks for your help, I though I might need to upgrade the antenna on the transmitter, will invest in one of those. Would the Nimrod female antenna not be best?

Which is the directional one, Nimrod or Horizon?

The monitor does have a sun hood, just don't have it fitted at the minute.

The video feed constantly flickers with static and seems to be worse when directly above me and when flying back to me.

I was told by the person I bought the P2 from that the antennas would go 1km. I'd like to go further if possible.

I'm in the UK, where is best to buy antennas, there just seems so many US online stores but not many UK.

Hope your aware of the CAA rules regarding VLOS.

I am, but I do not always fly in the Uk, I do a lot of traveling and plan to take the P2 with me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik