Newbie with a bad aircraft?

Reaction score
Hey all,

Brand new to drones and brand new to this forum. Howdy!

I bought a new Phantom 3A a little over a week ago. I spent a ton of time on this forum, learning the ins and outs (thanks!). Read the owners manual twice. When it arrived, I charged the batteries and updated the firmware on the RC, aircraft and batteries. (I'm in IT so firmware updates don't scare me).

Everything updated just fine, and it was off to the park for it's first flight. I calibrated the compass and away I went, holding my breath the whole time. It seems to preform pretty well but it did want to change to ATTI mode and did throw some compass errors, but they were momentary.

The second day I went out and got a little braver and went higher and further. Was up around 150' and the aircraft switched to ATTI mode and started drifting away. I lost it in the sun about the time the low battery warning went off. CRAP! Hit the return to home button and it returned and landed! Woohoo!

Since I' new to all of this, I don't know what's normal or not. Today I fired up the aircraft and RC and the aircraft went through it's boot, camera moving around and then the camera just dropped and pointed towards the ground. I pulled the battery and rebooted it several times with the same result. Does the same thing even with the remote off. The remote connects to the aircraft and I can control it, but of course I have no video.

I chatted with DJI (they're worthless) and they were no help.

My question, since I don't know what's normal, should the camera stay upright after boot, with or without the RC turned on? The aircraft seems to boot fine, the camera moves around, locks forward and then just dies. What's normal?

Also, Since I was in a remote area, devoid of any metal and did calibrate the compass, is it normal for this thing to bounce between P mode and ATTI mode? Should I be getting compass errors as well?

I think this unit has problems but I'd like to make sure it's not something I'm doing.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Hey all,

Brand new to drones and brand new to this forum. Howdy!

I bought a new Phantom 3A a little over a week ago. I spent a ton of time on this forum, learning the ins and outs (thanks!). Read the owners manual twice. When it arrived, I charged the batteries and updated the firmware on the RC, aircraft and batteries. (I'm in IT so firmware updates don't scare me).

Everything updated just fine, and it was off to the park for it's first flight. I calibrated the compass and away I went, holding my breath the whole time. It seems to preform pretty well but it did want to change to ATTI mode and did throw some compass errors, but they were momentary.

The second day I went out and got a little braver and went higher and further. Was up around 150' and the aircraft switched to ATTI mode and started drifting away. I lost it in the sun about the time the low battery warning went off. CRAP! Hit the return to home button and it returned and landed! Woohoo!

Since I' new to all of this, I don't know what's normal or not. Today I fired up the aircraft and RC and the aircraft went through it's boot, camera moving around and then the camera just dropped and pointed towards the ground. I pulled the battery and rebooted it several times with the same result. Does the same thing even with the remote off. The remote connects to the aircraft and I can control it, but of course I have no video.

I chatted with DJI (they're worthless) and they were no help.

My question, since I don't know what's normal, should the camera stay upright after boot, with or without the RC turned on? The aircraft seems to boot fine, the camera moves around, locks forward and then just dies. What's normal?

Also, Since I was in a remote area, devoid of any metal and did calibrate the compass, is it normal for this thing to bounce between P mode and ATTI mode? Should I be getting compass errors as well?

I think this unit has problems but I'd like to make sure it's not something I'm doing.

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum. Please delete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20