Newbie Wifi Question

Reaction score
Apologies if this is explained somewhere, but i have not been able to find it. A few days ago i bought a used phantom 2 vision plus on ebay. I'm experienced with rc helis and i've also got an ar drone 2 that i've rebuilt fully at this point. I wasn't afraid to get something that needed a little work. The phantom i've got is missing the vision plus camera. It only has the base bracket to attach the shock absorbers.
It flies perfectly fine but i am getting no wifi. I am having trouble finding info on if this is normal.
Does the wifi get broadcast by the camera itself or from the drone? As in, without the camera attached should i still at least be able to get telemetry? On the AR drone, the wifi is on the mainboard, so as long as it successfully powers on, the wifi will broadcast.
I am going to take the case apart later today to see if i can spot any obvious loose or unplugged connections, but some quick guidance would be appreciated.

Not sure I am understanding your question fully.

To obtain Wi-Fi, you need 1) the Vision+ with Wi-Fi module installed, 2) the Wi-Fi Extender to which the Phantom is bound, 3) the device you wish to connect for FPV.

Additionally, to receive telemetry from the Vision+ you also need at least the functioning base to the gimbal installed/connected. If the gimbal is completely missing, you will NOT receive telemetry.

To receive FPV you also require a functional camera attached to the gimbal..

To add to Db's comment.
And thus no wifi if that baseplate of the camera isn't installed.
No telemetry and no wifi even if the wifi module is in the bird.

ok- got it. that answers my question. i've got no baseplate to the camera and no camera/gimbal. there does appear to be a wifi module inside the body and i do have the repeater that was paired to the camera. After doing some more research, it looks like it's easier or more effective to simply get a replacement dji camera than go through the work of refitting it to handle a gopro. Is it correct that the majority of functionality specific to the vision models like the telemetry through the app and video downlink are tied to the dji camera and can't be reconfigured to be used on a zenmuse gimbal with gopro?

kenundrum said:
ok- got it. that answers my question. i've got no baseplate to the camera and no camera/gimbal. there does appear to be a wifi module inside the body and i do have the repeater that was paired to the camera. After doing some more research, it looks like it's easier or more effective to simply get a replacement dji camera than go through the work of refitting it to handle a gopro. Is it correct that the majority of functionality specific to the vision models like the telemetry through the app and video downlink are tied to the dji camera and can't be reconfigured to be used on a zenmuse gimbal with gopro?

The simplest solution would be to purchase a new Vision+ camera/gimbal assembly for $679. This not only provides FPV & telemetry, but also the ability to control the camera while it is in the air. If your bird flies well otherwise, this would be my suggestion.

Retrofitting is more involved than just installing a Zenmuse & a GoPro. You would also need to add an iOS-Mini to provide telemetry, and some sort of standalone FPV solution. Here the least involved method would be to remove the Wi-Fi module from within the Phantom, install the iOS-Mini & standalone 2.4 Ghz FPV solution. You will need something to receive the signal, for which I would recommend one of the self-contained 2.4 Ghz monitor-FPV receivers. You will have no in-air camera controls, and will need to click record or engage the GoPro's intervalometer to take stills.

if you go with the more common 5.8 Ghz FPV systems, you will need the same as above, only in a 5.8 Ghz variant. You will also need to purchase a new 2.4 Ghz controller and receiver for the Phantom. You could go with the standard Phantom 2 controller/receiver, or use the Phantom 2 receiver (2.4 Ghz model) and pair it with a Futaba FAAST radio for more features and programmability. Again no in-air camera control.

Lastly, there is the DroneExperts system (not sure if it has actually began shipping yet?). Problem here is if you purchase everything, and choose the GoPro Black, it is about the cost of a new Vision+!

You can see the retrofit options are much more involved and costly?

kenundrum said:
ok- got it. that answers my question. i've got no baseplate to the camera and no camera/gimbal. there does appear to be a wifi module inside the body and i do have the repeater that was paired to the camera. ........
Actually it's paired to the wifi module, you can swap the camera without pairing afresh.

To get some video you could more or less just stick a gopro or mobius etc on it, as a restored V+ you'd get so much more in a nice package and reasonable video and photos.
You need to bear in mind the Vision plus frequencies are not compatible with many FPV systems - it's not a sensible option to go that way you would be better with the standard P2 really. Or buy the V+ gimbal/camera and try to get it working.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4