Newbie Upgrade ?'s

Reaction score
Good day fine people ,
So im on my 6th or 7th flight and im ready for some upgrades. Im not going to get crazy just yet. No gimbal or monitor kinda things, im just flying it within eyesight distance, a little scared to take it out of sight and test its range. i installed a basic anti vibration mount for the stock gopro mount. now im ready for carbon fiber props and an extra battery. Reading confusing and conflicting stuff on what version i might have and what i can use cant use and im over whelmed at this point. Love to hear from someone willing to hold my hand and give me the easy english explanation of what carbon props i can get as well as best battery and where. Also considering getting the battery expansion kit to let me put 2 on board, so any comments/ advice on those kits are also most welcome. Im just north of Toronto Canada.
Respect,
Kitch

You do not want carbon fiber props. Most are not balanced, they don't enhance the flight experience, are dangerous if you come into contact with them, and might damage more of your phantom when/if you crash.

Stick with the plastic props.

Does your Phantom 1 have the self tightening props? (You turn the prop and it tightens itself without requiring a tool or nut to lock in.

If so, you have a 1.1.1. The 1.1.1 uses 9443 self tightening props. They have a new prop coming out with different dimensions to combat the decent issue. I can't remember the number but El Guano started a thread on the main forum for it.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20292

The double battery in theory is a good idea. But it does add weight and the Phantom will fly more sluggish due to that. Not overly sluggish but noticeable compared to a single battery in my experience. Think less agile. The main reason people add extra batteries is to increase flight time but it's not going to double the flight time, something less than that. All a personal choice and nothing wrong with experimenting with it just keep good records (logs) of time increase and judge for yourself.

Carbon fiber props weigh less than the same sized plastics ones so it will increase flight time a bit. Once I tried my first carbon fiber prop I never put a plastic one back on. Again, personal choice. They are a little more expensive and if you're learning (and crashing) the plastic ones are cheaper and good for learning without breaking the bank.

Battery discussions tend to be lengthy because there's a lot of factors involved. Stay with the type that came with it early, get an extra one or two (eBay is your friend) and read up on LiPo batteries before trying other brands. Never hurts to make a fully informed purchase.

Start reading and absorbing the info in the DJi Wiki and branch off from there. DJI UAV Wiki That is a well written simple to understand piece of wisdom.

Remember, have fun!!

much thanx pierrelogic, kydan. good stuff. i have a v1.1 im pretty sure, but where can i find that info to be sure ? Sounds like im gonna just stick with stock stuff til i master the pilot thing. The urge for upgrades is hard to beat down sometimes.
respect

The v1.1 has a center spring throttle on the tx (both of your sticks return to center when released), but does not have self-tightening prop mounts.

I agree with pierrelogic on most of what he said, and will just add that unless you are interested in acro/sport flying, dual-batteries, or higher capacity single batteries, are a default upgrade nowadays for loaded phantoms seeking to stay aloft longer than 7-8 min.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20