Newbie transportation question

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the drone world and new to Phantoms. My wife bought me the P3S for Christmas but I loved it so much and read enough I decided to upgrade to the P3A. With it came the hardshell backpack. I was disappointed when I found out I had to remove the props (and prop guards I bought) to put it in the case. I was wondering if any of you had a more convenient way to transport your Phantom? I would definitely disassemble completely and use the hardshell if I was hiking into the wilderness. However, if I am just putting it in the car and taking it a few miles down the road I would think there would be a better option...?

I'm against leaving your props on while in transport. This may cause memorable bending of the plastic props when stored extended periods of time which may result in abnormal flights. Anytime you put excess pressure on the props/motors/arms you're creating stress which could possible lead to cracking/malfunction.

Plus it reduces the likelihood of a proper pre flight check for defects. Naturally the props are what give the device lift and if they are cracked or any other defects.... down goes the bird.

While you may consider it an inconvenience - flying an object above lives/personal property is nothing to be short with when it comes to safety.
(This is my personal view. Others have and will disagree because you know.. "greener grass")

Reactions: GunnyPapa
Hey everyone. New to the drone world and new to Phantoms. My wife bought me the P3S for Christmas but I loved it so much and read enough I decided to upgrade to the P3A. With it came the hardshell backpack. I was disappointed when I found out I had to remove the props (and prop guards I bought) to put it in the case. I was wondering if any of you had a more convenient way to transport your Phantom? I would definitely disassemble completely and use the hardshell if I was hiking into the wilderness. However, if I am just putting it in the car and taking it a few miles down the road I would think there would be a better option...?
I use this one. Stores 5 batteries and I leave the props on.

Professional Carry Case from MC-Cases fits for DJI Phantom 3 Professional & Advanced: Amazon.co.uk: Luggage

I also use the awesome @dji branded hardshell backpack.
I don't mind spinning the props off or on. It only takes a moment of time. And you get to handle the drone more... Ha
As stated, check them rotor blades over good, before & after each flight.

I rYde a '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S, and the hardshell backpack fits perfectly for my lifestyle. ;-)
It goes nearly everywhere, with me. And feels right.

RefHotPoker

Reactions: GunnyPapa
If I am just going down the road a few miles I just turn my props out of the way and tilt her on the edge for the ride. Been doing it for a year and a half and no issues even with a few hard brakeings. I put here against the back of the seats for blocking unposed. Long trips it in the case.

I always take the props off! 30 seconds work. As for prop guards, there are removable guards out there with fixed mounts for those who use them regularly.

Reactions: Robmora33
Using anything 3rd party on your Phantom voids your DJI Warranty. I have seen the snap offs crack the P3 shell and replaced a few for customers.
FlyByVideoPros.com

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Using anything 3rd party on your Phantom voids your DJI Warranty. I have seen the snap offs crack the P3 shell and replaced a few for customers.
FlyByVideoPros.com

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
It would not be my choice to use them as I only use prop guards when frying in ATTI mode when control is not as smooth especially on landing. Problems with shell cracks are an issue for DJI without adding 3rd party parts.

If I am just going down the road a few miles I just turn my props out of the way and tilt her on the edge for the ride. Been doing it for a year and a half and no issues even with a few hard brakeings. I put here against the back of the seats for blocking unposed. Long trips it in the case.

There is no excuse for being irresponsible!!! ALWAYS use a seatbelt! Click-it or ticket-it!!!

:p

Yes, you will need to remove your prop guards every time you put your P3 in its case as well as props. You never want anything bending while it is in the case. I got quick connect prop guards, so you can just pull them right off when done. No need to unscrew anything. The case I purchased was this one. I am in love, and it is the best case out there. It holds everything for me including my three batteries.

DJI Phantom 3 Nanuk 950 Custom Foam Hard Case Wheeled P3-Black-Case

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    752.4 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: aka1ceman
1. No case
2. The box it came in (props off)
3. Hard case big enough for storage with props on
4. Soft case big enough for storage with props on

I used the original shipping box for a while. I had to assemble the props on location, but it's part of my routine. It fits the P3 perfectly. ;)

SD

Thanks for everyone's input! I've found prop removal to not be bad. You guys have me second guessing my aftermarket guards though.

Rotor guards aren't much use, on my Phantom 3, it's too stable...
image.png
Even with rotor guards, stuff happens...

RedHotPoker

How I remove the props quickly is to grab the prop and motor with one hand and twist slightly to loosen. I then spin the prop and, while it's spinning, move into the next one. When I'm done with all four I just quickly pluck them all off as they have spun loose. Takes about 5 seconds. I don't use prop guards.

You just need three more intelligent flight batteries, to make your flight kit complete. ;-)

RedHotPoker

You can get the quick release prop guards, and cut the foam to fit those attachments. I'd advice against leaving on props, you can't safety check them for damage and shouldn't put pressure on them via a box.

I'm quite happy with my hard shell case, fits 3+1 batteries and all other needed items.

Prop guards reduce flight time and drag.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr