Newbie SOS: Rewiring a connector

Reaction score
I have no experience with fixing electronic problems, so I need a pointer.

I had a "small" accident today. Flew around a while, had to pause for a moment so switched to GPS mode and the phantom decided to make it's own mind about where to go, moved hard right for about 15 meters and the cut it's engines at 30m or so high and hit the ground pretty hard.

Luckily there was only a small amount of damage. One of the power supply connectors was torn off, so once I learn to solder I can fix that.

What I don't know how to fix myself is a small wire that came out of the 4 pin plug that goes into the NAZA from the LED. Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a youtube guide that shows how this works? My guess is that it somehow pops open and I can reinsert it.

What I'm hoping is that I don't have to get a new connector to the LED that I have to resolder to the LED PCB.

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

It sound's like you're saying one of the pins pulled out of the connector that plugs in to the NAZA (from the LED), correct? If that's the case, you might be able to pop the pin back in the connector, but odds are the little plastic piece that keeps it in there is broken. It's fairly simple to just pop the other two pins out and replace the plastic plug housing and then pop them in the new one...it just takes a small (tiny) flat-blade screwdriver and a steady-ish hand. Much easier if you don't know how to solder yet. The replacement plastic plug can be cannibalized off another unused cable, either one you have now or purchase for a few cents from any of the many suppliers who carry them.

Thank you OI Photography.

I spent a good while googling how to do this, and ofcourse sods law dictates that straight after I decided to ask for help I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHayL9ya2a8 which shows how to fix a JST.

I didn't realise you could pop out the connector. My problem is that the wire got ripped out, so it looks like a wire that's been clipped. I'll try to pop out the connector part, and strip the wire that's left so that maybe I can reinsert it.

I understand now how to handle the JST connector problem, but now I'm not sure what to do about the battery power cable problem.

The power cable connection to the main board was pulled away. I can see a silver bit on the board with 5 "connection dots". Initially I thought I should just go out and buy a solder iron and (once I've learnt how to do this with some practice before hand) just solder it back on.

But should I be fixing this connection back on with something else instead? Some kind of special glue? That's kind of what it looks like was on it already.

Quite worried about just blindly soldering this and causing more damage. So advice would be very appreciated.

And thinking about what happened with the crash.... After the phantom started to fly away after I put it in GPS mode, it just seemed to lose power and drop. I'm starting to wonder if this power cable popped off before the crash.

DanCH said:
And thinking about what happened with the crash.... After the phantom started to fly away after I put it in GPS mode, it just seemed to lose power and drop. I'm starting to wonder if this power cable popped off before the crash.

Quite possibly. Did the LED lights go out as well when it started to drop?

The power lead(s) will need to be resoldered to the pad on the board. It's a basic soldering job, as long as you are careful and follow the basic procedures you can find in dozens of instructional clips on youtube regarding attaching a wire to a pad on a circuit board.

While you're at it, go ahead and check all the main visible solder points in there for the same problem...two for the power leads going to each arm, and 5 on each of the little ESC boards they lead to (where the motors are connected).

Thanks again OI Photography, that's really helpful advice.

I don't remember if the LEDs went out before it dropped, it all happened so fast and it was about 50m away. Guess I'll never know what exactly happened.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.