Newbie questions & can't decide Advanced or 4K

Reaction score
HI all,
Can't decide on either the Advanced version, or the new 4K version (not the professional). Currently here in Australia they are both the same price.

1) I don't have any 4K gear yet, but 4K would be nice. I'm concerned about the limited range issues with the standard 4K version. What happens if you accidentally exceed its range? Whilst I never intend on flying as far as Lightbridge allows, the "buffer" zone I guess is a nice feature. I mainly want the drone for aerial photos and video - am I going to be happy with the Advanced 2.7K?

2) Is the video relayed to the controller screen the same quality between light bridge and non?

3) I've also never had a drone before. I gather you can either fly it by FPV (looking through the screen on the iPad), or by staring up into the sky at a tiny dot? One thing that I read said flying by FPV is illegal in Australia. Whys that?

4) Can you take a still photo while video is being recorded?

Thank you.

HI all,
Can't decide on either the Advanced version, or the new 4K version (not the professional). Currently here in Australia they are both the same price.

1) I don't have any 4K gear yet, but 4K would be nice. I'm concerned about the limited range issues with the standard 4K version. What happens if you accidentally exceed its range? Whilst I never intend on flying as far as Lightbridge allows, the "buffer" zone I guess is a nice feature. I mainly want the drone for aerial photos and video - am I going to be happy with the Advanced 2.7K?

2) Is the video relayed to the controller screen the same quality between light bridge and non?

3) I've also never had a drone before. I gather you can either fly it by FPV (looking through the screen on the iPad), or by staring up into the sky at a tiny dot? One thing that I read said flying by FPV is illegal in Australia. Whys that?

1. If you don't know that you need 4K, you don't need 4K. 1080p is fine for just about everything and the Advanced also does 2.7K which is more than most folks need most of the time anyway.
2. That's the big issue that most people don't know about the new P3 4K . It has crummy 480p live view rather than the 720p that all the other P3s have.
Lightbridge live view is particularly good in comparison to wifi..
3. CASA don't want you flying just on the screen - but that doesn't mean you don't look at the screen. A Cessna pilot still has to look at his instruments - same with a Phantom.
4. No - stiils or video but not both together

The Advanced is a fantastic machine and at the current sale price it's almost a giveaway.

There are plenty of threads here to assist in your decision.

1) The 4k uses a sony exmor sensor, some say it outclasses the panasonic sensor in the standard. I cant say as i havent seen for myself. Standard is 12mp vs 12.4mp still so should be pretty much on par resolotion wise, i suspect most notable differenced will be in low light performance.

Light bridge is amazing, generally anyone who has come from a wifi link to lightbridge agrees on this point.

2) lightbidge wins easily here, resolution and latency.

3) you would need to enquire with the authorities, we arent alone in this respect.

4) no. But you can get some very usable frame grabs from 4k video.

HI all,

Thank you.
Get the Advanced, they both take the same quality photos and 2.7k will be good enough until the 20+mp 8k drones are released, haha

Iam from Melbourne , got my P3A during Christmas .

You should grab one now when prices are low, but make sure you buy a good hard shell backpack , trust me you need one.

It's so easy to make sure everything is safe especially when you are taking it around.

Also get a tablet hood, it's a must.

I got mine from Helipal, good discount and also quick shipping .

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20