Newbie question - prop motors

Reaction score
Hi all.
After much deliberation over the P3S and P3A, I finally got myself a P3A. I'm in the UK and a complete newbie when it comes to drones at this level so just have a quick question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

All 4 props rotate freely if I spin them by hand with the unit turned off but one is a lot stiffer than the other 3. I've only done one flight since it arrived which was fine and the prop rotated as freely as the others when I tried it again after but after a few days of it sitting, it's back to being a bit stiffer again. Is that normal and ok? The 3 will rotate what looks like 5 ish times for example when I spin them by hand but this one will only go round 3.
Probably worrying about nothing but just wanted to check :)

I have a P2 and notice the same thing.
Doesn't seem to affect flying though.
It may be that the one motor's bearings are a little tighter when cold.
don't really know for sure, but the only thing that could affect "stiffness" would be the bearings, although I notice that the magnetic drag is a little bit stronger on that one motor... could be my imagination though...
I might try flying for a few minutes and then use my thermal camera to see if the motors are all the same temeprature.

Key is if motors start and then stop at same time. All is well..If that one lags.... Not good.

If the motor is stiff during flight it will show up when you throtle up to ascend while moving.
For example there is one motor,the rear left,on my P1 that has become stiffer than the other 3 so when I throtle up while moving forward the Phantom tends to turn a bit to the left as the left rear is not spinning up as fast as the right rear so that makes the Phantom want to turn.

So try flying in all lateral directions and throtle up and see if it stays strait or tries to turn.
If it stays strait in all directions you have no problem.If it wants to turn at any point you may need to replace the stiff motor or bearings just in case it is a bearing on it's way out.

Usually if they rev up and all stop at the same time their is no bearing drag. If one of the bearings on one of the motors is tighter or heating up and causing a drag the motor will stop way before the other three and should be replaced but if they all start at same time and then stop at same time even after a flight usually the motors and bearings are ok. If one jerks a little or twitches some it usually point to an ESC failing. If the quad is hovering and drifting one way or the other that pints to IMU calibration and compass calls.

Many thanks for the replies. They all seem to spin up and stop at the same time, I've done 4 full batteries of flying and have not noticed any issues with it turning in directions it shouldn't.

I still don't think it's right that one of them spins so much less by hand but I guess based on this it should be ok. Amazon have said they will replace it so could just do that for piece of mind.

One other thing I forgot to ask, I've got a set of DJI prop guards which are great but it obviously now won't fit in the box or a case for transport.
I notice a lot of people use 3rd party quick release prop guards, are there any that people would recommend? Have been nervous to get non DJI ones in case they fall off or something mid flight!

Thanks again
Dan.

I had a Rc plane that had a motor like that. the bearing was defective I got 30 or so flights on it and thought notting of it till it locked up on final I saved the plane but the motor was toast!!

The 2 morals of the story are planes can glide not phantoms lol and second if I addressed it and repaired it or replaced it it would of never failed your drone is to expensive for 40$ replace the motor and save $1000

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's the thing, this is brand new and Amazon will replace it if I want so I don't even have to replace the motor myself.

I think I'm going to do that, if something happens and it ends up being due to that motor I'll be kicking myself.

I would have them replace it I know it sucks but it's the right thing them gimbals are very expensive to repair trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

When in doubt its the safest to change it out!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair