Newbie Questio!

Reaction score
Sorry all if this is basic, already answered, wrong forum, etc.! But My son and I are pulling our hair out trying to figure this problem. Haven't found anything online to address.

Brand new phantom 2, h3-d3 gimbal.

All started up fine, green all around.

Tried to take off with left stick up but it front dives immediately into the ground before liftoff.

Checked props, reviewed all start up procedures, but have no idea what up. Tried with and without gimbal, same problem.

Anyone willing to help a newbie or point me in the right direction!?

Brian

I'm going to give you a brief, simple answer until someone more equipped can do a better job. Some radios are configured reversed to what might be considered normal. In other words, your radio may have the throttle and yaw on the right. Try lifting off with the RIGHT stick. Therefore you will find the forward, reverse, left and right on the LEFT stick.
If that is the case, be sure you're out in an open area to be safe.
Hope this helps and works for you.

Thanks! Appreciate the response so quickly.

My boy had the same idea so we gave it quick test but wouldn't lift with right stick. Will try again tomorrow though.

Brian

Sounds like your Radio Controller is set to Mode 1. If you want the throttle to be on the left stick as I presume you do, you want to switch the configuration to Mode 2.

You'll need to hook your Radio Controller to your computer via the USB cable and run the RC Assistant software. With your controller on, plug the USB cable into the Radio Controller then into your computer. Then start the RC Assistant Software program. You should see the little blinking lights when you open the software program. Those tell you that it is communicating with the controller.

You might get a message telling you to update the controller. Make sure you do the update first.

On the main page of the program you should see the option to select Mode 1 or mode 2. Make sure you select Mode 2.
Then click Calibration and follow the instructions on the screen to calibrate the joysticks. You won't calibrate the Gimbal tilt lever using RC Assistant. You will do that when in the Phantom Assistant Software.

Once you have completed the steps in the RC Assistant Software, turn off the Radio Controller and after a second or Two, turn it back on and confirm you are still in Mode 2 and your sticks are moving correctly and in the Green when they are released.

Now you can turn off the controller and unplug it and exit the RC Assistant Software.

You will still need to run the Phantom Assistant Software program for the rest of the updating and calibration procedures. That is where you will calibrate the Tilt Lever on the back of the radio and update the Phantom if needed and change any other settings. The Phantom will need to be hooked up to the computer via the USB cable for that stage. Radio should be turned on the whole time you are doing it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for detailed reply!

I checked and the rc was on 1 so switched to 2 (after doing the upgrade). Also made sure the phantom was fully updated as well.

Still no luck, same problem. Tried switching back to 1 and flying that way but still same problem.

Was hoping it was something easy but I'm baffled.

Also seeing strange behavior with the gimbal but I'll get it flying first and then tackle that one.

Hate to have to return it but not sure what else to do at this point.

Brian

Here's a dumb thought of mine (forgive me): Are the correct propellers on the correct motors?

Short of that I'm wondering if the motors are turning in the correct direction.

You aren't trying to lift off slowly are you? You need to give it full throttle until it lifts off as the gimbal is probably set forward of the centre of gravity to try and keep the legs of the phantom out of the camera view :?:

Madwak said:
You aren't trying to lift off slowly are you? You need to give it full throttle until it lifts off as the gimbal is probably set forward of the centre of gravity to try and keep the legs of the phantom out of the camera view :?:

X2.. I first time I flew I took off too slow and it just fell on it side. Go ahead and give it full power until a few feet off the ground.

Back to your post about switching from mode 1 to 2 and then back. You never said if you calibrated your joy sticks? Make sure they are fully responding. Good luck...

Flying Cephlopod said:
Here's a dumb thought of mine (forgive me): Are the correct propellers on the correct motors?

Short of that I'm wondering if the motors are turning in the correct direction.
You can't mix them up. Have you not noticed that the threads are different?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Thanks all, appreciate the help.

I can't figure out how the props could be on wrong, they only screw on one way.

I have not tried full power on lift off, too scared! Whatever level I have used always resulted in front end dive. Plus, I would think that it should compensate for fully loaded gimbal and camera. And to add to that, I've also tried without gimbal and camera, same result.

Sent question to dJi and will see if they can help.

Brian

brians said:

I have not tried full power on lift off, too scared! Whatever level I have used always resulted in front end dive. Plus, I would think that it should compensate for fully loaded gimbal and camera. And to add to that, I've also tried without gimbal and camera, same result.

Brian

I'm not sure what too scared means? If you try to ease it off the ground it's going to pitch one way or the other. Give it full power for at least a second.

Another thing to try to make sure all props are spinning up equally. Put a weight on the landing gear that weighs a pound or so. I don't know a small brick. Power up you quad copter and then throttle up. See if you can tell if all props are at the same rpm. You description makes it sound like back props are spinning up faster than front props, or the front props are spinning up after the back props hence the front crash. Just an idea to see if you can tell by sound or visual inspection.

brians said:

Brian
You have been advised by many in this post, including experienced pilots, to do full power on takeoff yet you won't follow the advice. What's the point in asking for advice then?

Its a process working through your perceived problem. Try this first and report back. Then we can talk about the next step.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Can you please confirm that you have done full calibration in the RC Assistant and the P2 Assistant and in that order. If you have done firmware upgrade you need to do full IMU calibration as well. Please report back.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

You've received the correct answer. You have to give it full throttle at lift off. Once it is 3-4 feet off the ground, you can release the throttle.

When in flight, the Phantom automatically levels itself. It can't do that at the slow RPM of a tentative takeoff. Not only that, but as the phantom SLOWLY lifts off, the heaviest side of the Phantom will leave the ground last, and the airborne side will push into the direction of the lower, heavier side, unceremoniously plowing your Phantom into the ground. Taking off at maximum or near maximum throttle minimizes the time that the heaviest side remains on the ground, allowing the Phantom to auto-level.

brians said:

Brian

Brian,

Yes, it will compensate for a fully loaded ship even a bad CG. BUT it first has to detect the movement that is why DJI changed the s/w to cause a more aggressive takeoff so as to allow some distance from the ground so if it starts to tip the flight controller will have room to automatically compensate for it.

If you give it full throttle for take off the props come up to speed at a controlled rate and as soon as its airborn you can reduce the throttle to neutral as mentioned above.

Just saw that Bobunplugged had answered the question in a far more understandable manor than my response.

Just do it.

Tom

It took me forever to learn that it won't lift off slowly-you must give it full throttle for lift off. Once it's 10+ feet off the ground, then you can do whatever you need to. But I went through this as well. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't just slowly start climbing. The P2 just isn't made that way.

Ok, thanks again all for the advice and encouragement.

Firmware updated, rc and quad calibrated, removed gimbal until I figure out how to fly better. All advice taken, just haven't had a chance to get to it until today.

Finally had a chance to get it out again today. And guess what, full throttle gets it up in the air. It does immediately pitch forward then levels out after a few feet and climbs.

Now I just need to learn fly it (amazingly tough little machine though, it's survived a couple of good crashes).

Brian

'Full throttle' take-offs are completely counter-intuitive and has been applicable to every model and type of r/c a/c I have ever flown (fixed wing, single rotor, etc.). :mrgreen:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4