Newbie Q...can it fly a prescribed distance from the ground?

Reaction score
I'm seeing these guys that do real estate fly these things up a long winding driveway on a grade. Is there anyway the thing can be set up to fly at say 5 feet from the earth? Like following a contour and staying 5' off the ground? Or is it all done using the controller? i've tried it and I keep having to make corrections up and down - which aren't very smooth.

Did you try with VPS system on?

Reactions: snowghost
Did you try with VPS system on?
I was just reading about the VPS and and as i understand it, it is now always on with no way to toggle it on or off. But to answer your question, I've only used the drone a handful of times and with stock settings. I'm really new at this and just looking for some help in getting it to do what i need it to do - safely. I was hoping there was a magic button that would allow me to set the height that I wanted to fly relative to the earth below. Thanks!

The VPS system only works when the drone is about 10' or less above the ground. It will also keep the drone at the same height above the ground even when the ground rises. I've tested this on a P3 (it should be the same on the P4) and it works as long as the Phantom is not going to fast. DJI claims it works up to something like 15mph but personally I'd not fly this fast. I'd fly no faster then I could detect if everything was okay and correct if needed.

Reactions: Shayne
The VPS system only works when the drone is about 10' or less above the ground.
For the Phantom 4, VPS is effective when the Phantom is between an altitude of 0.3 to 10 meters.

Keep in mind that VPS relies on "visual" as well as ultrasonic "cues" so some of it's accuracy is reliant upon what the ground "looks" like. Things like repetitive patterns, high reflectivity, water, and other factors can cause problems with VPS accuracy. Always fly in "defensive" mode with attention to the aircraft and changes in terrain.

Is VPS always on or is there something you have to do to engage it? Plus, do you have to disengage GPS flying to do this? Can you set the distance from the ground you want to fly?

Thank you all for your help!!

Based on my P4 test the P4 can not maintain a height above the ground if the ground height is changing. For my reasons I did several test in an amphitheater by flying up and down steps, bleachers, and over balconies. In all cases the height was stable from its reference point even with highly varying ground level features.
To OP to meet your objectives of Cinema Intro Fly In: Check out way point options, and maybe TapFly.

Based on my P4 test the P4 can not maintain a height above the ground if the ground height is changing. For my reasons I did several test in an amphitheater by flying up and down steps, bleachers, and over balconies. In all cases the height was stable from its reference point even with highly varying ground level features.
To OP to meet your objectives of Cinema Intro Fly In: Check out way point options, and maybe TapFly.
For what I'm wanting to shoot - a long driveway - it will be flat, but the grade is subject to change.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl