Newbie Q about how you use your copter and then view footage

Reaction score
As someone who will purchase a Vison 2 realtively soon, I have a few questions on how you use your copter.

Do you guys fly every day, once a week or is this something that you have grown bored of and moved onto the next hobby? So you know I plan on using mime often filming and taking pics of various things and hope to get the courage to use it on the boat and on our vacation to the Outer Banks.

I'm curious, so I send thins thing up for say 20 minutes. Am I shooting video the entire flight? And post flight, do you guys save every flight video onto your computer? That's a lot of video and storage needed if everything is saved.

Is there a way to view from the SD card to a monitor or TV and not have to save every video?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm just trying to get a feel for how these things are used and then how are the recordings viewed.

Re: Newbie Q about how you use your copter and then view foo

With the gopro hero camera, as soon as you press the button to record, you're recording even while the bird is on the ground.
At this time there is no way to turn the camera on or off in flight that I know of.
Unless it can be done with the camera remote control, but that has limited range.

As for viewing the video on a monitor or tv, yes you can quite easily.
With the gopro all you do is hook up the USB cord between camera and PC and view that way.

Yes the file sizes are quite large. As they are in MP4 format.
A ten minute video will have about 1.5gigs of size.
So what you do is, edit the video as needed, upload to youtube and let them compress it to a more manageable size.

I have stored in my HardDisk only videos that showed any new condition for analysis or comparation. ie: A new prop test, new gimbal settings, new gains in Naza, new controller, etc.

I've more than 250 Gb from "a year of phantom video history shots", but really have edited and used around 30 Gb. :lol:

With the GoPro 3+ there is hdmi output for quick view. If its worth saving it goes on my hard disk, auto backed up to an external usb 3 drive.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Each of my flights works out to about 3.5gb with at hero3+ filming at 1080p60. I have every single flight, with the exception of the ones where I forgot to press the record button :roll: it adds up to quite a bit of space but I just use a 3TB internal HD and 3TB external for backup. Lots of space, should be good for about 800+ unedited flights!

Cool stuff. I was just curious as my Phantom Vision 2 should be arriving on Friday!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20