Newbie Phantom 3 Standard owner !!

Reaction score
Hello !!! I would appreciate any help with a question I have. Can I use a USB phone wall charger and the Phantom USB cable to charge my Controller and does the controller have to be turned on while charging?

Yes you can use it but it will charge slowly unless your wall adapter is at least two amps. No the tx does not need to be on to charge.

Must be the dji phantom controller charger and from my experience so far you have the controller turned off to charge.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Must be the dji phantom controller charger and from my experience so far you have the controller turned off to charge.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
He's referring to the Phantom 3 STANDARD transmitter which charges via micro usb.

When I attach the cable to charge the Controller, the red light to the right of the power switch illuminates.....nothing else. When I turn the power switch on, the green led's start flashing from left to right. When I first turned it on, the first two led's would flash. Now there are three led's flashing. It appears to be charging. Will it charge if I turn the switch off? I can't tell because the green led's do nothing when the power switch is off.

When I attach the cable to charge the Controller, the red light to the right of the power switch illuminates.....nothing else. When I turn the power switch on, the green led's start flashing from left to right. When I first turned it on, the first two led's would flash. Now there are three led's flashing. It appears to be charging. Will it charge if I turn the switch off? I can't tell because the green led's do nothing when the power switch is off.
Send us a video of what's going on. That will make it easy to diagnose. Are you sure the controller isn't already off and you are switching it on resulting in the red light??

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Hmm... are you sure it isn't fully charged? The lights will not come on if it is. Leave it on for an hour or so with it charging and see if the greens go away. If that doesn't work hopefully someone else will see your video on here and give you a better solution. Good luck

Neat videos on your channel by the way! I also did a light show this past Xmas. Subbed.

Hmm... are you sure it isn't fully charged? The lights will not come on if it is. Leave it on for an hour or so with it charging and see if the greens go away. If that doesn't work hopefully someone else will see your video on here and give you a better solution. Good luck

Thanks !!!!
Before I connected it, when I turned it on, there were only two green led's illuminated. Now when I turn it on (charger not connected), all four green led's are illuminated. It appears to be charged.

Thanks !!!!
Before I connected it, when I turned it on, there were only two green led's illuminated. Now when I turn it on (charger not connected), all four green led's are illuminated. It appears to be charged.
It is .

I use a 5 volt 2 amp USB phone wall charger to charge my phantom standard controller. The red light you are talking about will turn green when the controller is fully charged.

When you are getting ready to fly the drone and you first turn on the controller, and the battery on the drone, that light will first be red and will change to green when the controller and drone are connected. If the light turns red while you are flying the drone, it means that the connection between the controller and drone have been lost, and the drone will return to the home point and land on it's own. If the light turns green again while the drone is returning home, it means that they are connected again, and you can cancel the return to home and take control of the drone again, or just let it in RTH mode.

Neat videos on your channel by the way! I also did a light show this past Xmas. Subbed.

Thanks !! I have been doing the light show for eight years. My neighbor joined me a couple of years ago. I started with a 24 channel controller and now we have almost 400 channels all controlled wirelessly. Over 50,000 lights between us !!!

....and does the controller have to be turned on while charging?
Leave the controller off while charging.
The status led will be red when charging and will turn green when fully charged.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460227763.404648.jpg

Figured it out. Controller off. Red LED until Charged and then Green !!!
Thanks for all the help !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.