Newbie... Phantom 2 with FPV and gimbal.

Reaction score
The beast is being delivered this Wednesday!! Ordered the kit from BH Photo with the FPV and the Gimbal with go-pro. I've never flown one of these before... What's the best advice you can give me to get me started on the right path? I do wedding video, and will be branching out into property overview videos and other services with this phantom.

What should I learn to do well? What should I not do.. (besides crash) ha.

Are there any accessories that I need to buy? Some that I should not waste money on?

PacecarProductions said:
The beast is being delivered this Wednesday!! Ordered the kit from BH Photo with the FPV and the Gimbal with go-pro. I've never flown one of these before... What's the best advice you can give me to get me started on the right path? I do wedding video, and will be branching out into property overview videos and other services with this phantom.

Are there any accessories that I need to buy? Some that I should not waste money on?

Get a ND filter for your GoPro,
A flight case
3 Spare batteries+Chargers
an anemometer
a Tracker
2 32gb class 10 minimum SD cards!
I use a simulator, (AeroSIM). Helps me a lot in between flights.There are training sessions for the P2, FPV, Game mode as well.

Don't waste money on prop guards. They can't be installed/uninstalled in seconds, and certainely not in the field. they are heavy as well and very present in the footage.
Read the manual! Do the training. Not only useful but challenging.
Don't enable the Naza mode before 20 flights
Watch all the video you can about pre/in flight/post flight
Watch videos about failsafe
Never take off without your 7 sats mini
Calibrate the compass but don't rush on calibrating anything else
Don't rush on firmware updates.
Don't fly further than 20 meters radius and high at the beginning (no need to check how high or far it can go. It can go VERY far
Be familiar with the front and the back
Basically learn to walk before running, and it will be just fine.
Be aware about the laws concerning the security of people around you. (Do not fly close to people you do not control). The props can cut fingers or worse
Be aware of the laws about flying close to drowds, individuals, structures and vehicles, as well as no fly zones, close to airports.
Be insured.
Stay out of trouble.

This is all what I see for now...

so what' the highest wind speed that it's safe to fly at? I live in the texas panhandle and it's fairly windy around here... Will the wind actually carry away the phantom? so much so, that you cannot control it back home??

PacecarProductions said:
so what' the highest wind speed that it's safe to fly at? I live in the texas panhandle and it's fairly windy around here... Will the wind actually carry away the phantom? so much so, that you cannot control it back home??
Some say do not fly by more than 15mph. I think it's reasonable, but sometimes the wind speed maybe very different up there. I try to fly when it's calm.
The wind has to blow quite hard to beat the phantom, however, when you are in failsafe mode for some reason, you have only 50% of power,It might not be enough for a" return to home" and it could be a case of "gone with the wind".
In ATTI mode as well, the phantom is like a feather in the wind and can drift very quickly if you don't pay attention.

PacecarProductions said:

The FIRST thing you want to do is NOT to fly it with the gimbal, camera or FPV system mounted. Fly the Phantom thru 5-6 batteries charges and LEARN what it can and can not do and how it responds to your commands.........

FASTFJR said:
PacecarProductions said:

The FIRST thing you want to do is NOT to fly it with the gimbal, camera or FPV system mounted. Fly the Phantom thru 5-6 batteries charges and LEARN what it can and can not do and how it responds to your commands.........

If it comes assembled and tested, how hard is it to remove the gimbal?

EDIT: Never mind I just looked on youtube. Looks easy to remove. I believe what I ordered comes fully assembled. I will remove the gimbal and just fly as is for the first 1/2 dozen or so flights.

WPSPETE said:
FASTFJR said:
PacecarProductions said:

If it comes assembled and tested, how hard is it to remove the gimbal?

EDIT: Never mind I just looked on youtube. Looks easy to remove. I believe what I ordered comes fully assembled. I will remove the gimbal and just fly as is for the first 1/2 dozen or so flights.

Well, I don't think you're blind so I will avoid to shout back bold in a 34 font. Do not remove anything, you are probably big enough to understand that you have to keep an eye on your bird when you start flying it and not stare only at the screen. You have all the time later for DIY, this is one of the most stupid comments i've got to read here, and there are many of them!
Yes concentrate on how it moves in space, but for god sakes do not touch it.(at least for now) :roll:

If I fly scared, I might as well just sell it now. I will be cautious, but I know that things will most likely get broken, cracked or need replacing..

FASTFJR said:
And if he crashes on the first or second flight he could be out the gimbal, FPV and iOS. Hey, its his bird :roll:
He could also put 2 loads of prop guards and bubble wrap it for the first 6 months.
Or even put it on a shelf and wait to have read all the BS here before taking it for its first fly!

sergekouper said:
FASTFJR said:
And if he crashes on the first or second flight he could be out the gimbal, FPV and iOS. Hey, its his bird :roll:
He could also put 2 loads of prop guards and bubble wrap it for the first 6 months.
Or even put it on a shelf and wait to have read all the BS here before taking it for its first fly!

Thats right its his bird. But since he has never flown one before why chance wreaking the gimbal and FPV? The gimbal is a hell of a lot more fragile than the PS

It's HERE!!! after work I'll have a unboxing party and then a first flight will come in the next few days I'm sure!!! super stoked!!!!!

PacecarProductions said:
It's HERE!!! after work I'll have a unboxing party and then a first flight will come in the next few days I'm sure!!! super stoked!!!!!

Congratulations! Happy new phantom day... Have fun with your new toy! :D

Hi All,

Great post - I too just ordered a P2 and am eagerly awaiting it's delivery. I was reading on the AeroSIM RC website that the white Phantom controller is not supported. Is that the P2 remote, or does the P2 remote work with that app?

Steve

No unfortunately the Phantom RC is not supported,(which is a bit stupid since the P2V is in the Sim.... You need a third party RC ( they have a list of compatible ones, some are cheap. )

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl