Newbie needs help,please!

Reaction score
My son and I recently purchased a second hand p2 and we have had great fun with her so far ! So much easier to fly than our old hubsan h502s.
Well we're not sure which model we have ,the controller is from a p3 we think as it has a wheel on top left as you look down on it and a row of LEDs by the on off switch in the centre ?
Yesterday we stuck a 4 k go pro clone to the part where the gimbal used to be and we were so happy with the results ( pathetic I know !? )
We now would like a cheap option for a gimbal and how to connect , and is it possible to have fpv without masses of expense ? As we are saving for a p3 advanced second hand from eBay uk
The copter has 2 sets of cables coming out of her one that has been chopped off yellow and red ribbon and a grey ribbon cable that has a white connector on it any help would be much appreciated.
df4145717f683a25934baa84038984b3.jpg
b884a998867eac810eea3d223fea0f9b.jpg
f98daed534d10a7789b07bf0ede70d55.jpg

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!

I purchased a P2 (no vision or camera) last February. My controller is identical, so you have the "second generation" controller for the P2. You have a USB port on it and you recharge the internal LiPo battery via your USB, unlike the original P2 controller that used for AA (or was it AAA) batteries. The roller button up on the left shoulder of the controller is for your gimbal control.

The aircraft is setup for installing the gimbal and camera. Page 7 of the Phantom 2 Users manual goes into detail about these connectors. My new P2 also has the identical cables taped down to the aircraft right out of the box. The suggested set up is in the manual also.

It really is in your interest to download and read the manual and you can download it here:

Phantom 2 - The Spirit Of Flight

The downloads are about half way down the page. While you are there, if you haven't already, you will want to download the controller Assistant and the P2 Assistant. These pieces of software are for your controller calibration and your aircraft IMU calibration as well as any firmware updates you might need.

This is a great aircraft and you will enjoy for a long time!

Reactions: Drusha
Do a google search on installing a cheap Chinese GoPro gimbal, easy to do and makes a big diffference

Reactions: Drusha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan