Newbie, need advice.

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm new to the DJI Phantom. Just bought one after looking around here for a while. Now I have read the manual that it came with and have assemble the Phantom, batteries are charged, but in the video's it says, make sure throttle is closed! My controller has both stick centred, with springs to keeping them centred! Is this something new or is my controller faulty.

The other thing is in the paper manual, it tells me to connect the Phantom to a pc, to the Assistant software for IMU calibration, to check if the firmware is upto date, I don't have a PC, I only have a MacBook, will it work with a Mac? Also is the software that I need, the "Nazareth-M Assistant software V2.16 ?

Look forward to your replies.
Many thanks.

Throttle stick spring is normal for the newer versions of the Phantom.

The software only works with Windows. A pain as I'm also a Mac user. I have a Windows virtual machine in VMWare Fusion purely for dealing with the Naza.

Thanks rilot for quick reply, so can I skip the firmware update part for now?

The other question I wanted to check was, the two switches either side of the antenna, for first flight what position should they be in?

Left switch- off/CL/HL

Right switch- GPS/ATTI/ATTI

Sorry, just being cautious for first flight. :oops:

Left CL: Course Lock. When GPS loccked if you activate CL you can Pull right stick and the phantom will come right to the take off point.
Left HL: Home Lock. When GPS loccked if you activate HL you can Pull right stick and the phantom will come right to the take off point and keep flying in a circle around it.

In both CL / HL only works if GPSlocked 6 or more satellites.

Right GPS mode will stabilize and keep position if GPS locked. In ATTI mode no position stays and you must correct position with sticks. In 3th position, right control can be programed via Naza Assistant for activate Manual Mode (not suggested for newbies) or RTH for returning home safe mode.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Raining at the moment, so will have to wait until tomorrow for the first flight.

Wonder why DJI changed the throttle stick closed position from down fully closed to a central position? Seems odd to me, but hey I don't know a lot, what's the general consensus on which is preferred? :mrgreen:

It looks like many newbies were tiping and crashing when taking off for not enough throttle, so the DJI solution was Auto Take Off with 50%+ throttle.

jumanoc said:
It looks like many newbies were tiping and crashing when taking off for not enough throttle, so the DJI solution was Auto Take Off with 50%+ throttle.

I'm not sure, as when I started it up, it just ran on idle, with the stick central, then as you push the stick forward the revs pick up. Maybe it's a safety thing, where is you let go of the stick, the spring returns it to center and back to idle!

In GPS and Atti modes the throttle stick isn't actually a throttle at all. Well, not in the same sense as a throttle on a helicopter or plane.
All the throttle stick does in GPS and Atti modes is control how fast you ascend or descend. Center stick just maintains current altitude. The Naza controls how much throttle to actually apply depending on information it gets from it's sensors. Notice how center stick maintains a hover no matter how much (or little) weight you apply to the Phantom?

If you switch to manual mode, center stick is really 50% throttle. Don't try this on the ground by the way as as soon as you left go of the stick and it centers, the rotors will spin up and depending on how heavy your Phantom is, it will either tip over or shoot up in to the sky.

As I don't have a PC, only a MacBook and an ipad, I'm wondering if I can use the DJI Naza M App, with a BTU, for doing firmware update and re configuraring etc. I don't really want to put windows on my Mac and they currently don't support Mac. So does anybody know if the Naza M App with the BTU will do all that can be done with the PC assistant?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic