Newbie initial startup advice

Reaction score
hi all,
I purchased a P3P in August of 2015, life got in the way.since then I have acquired the following
Head play goggles
HDMI output module
Shield K1
Maxuav with sunhans
4 extra batteries
Hard case

I have never powered up or installed the props.

I installed go app on my iPhone back then and set up an account.

My main question is

On initial startup should I use the iPhone for activation or install go on the new nvidia shield and use it. I seem to understand on activation I will need wifi or cellular service.

Will the current go app work with the older firmware that I am sure is on the bird? I would think initially I would want to not update. Will it ask me? None of the a accessories have been installed as I figure I would get familiar with it first.

I have printed out and made a binder of all the manuals and read and reread to the point where I can see mistakes some owners made when they describe a "flyaway".

One other question I have not yet done the FAA registration, will I need any of that info when doing initial activation?

Thanks in advance I have learned a lot here already and yes I know it's hard to believe 16 months without powering up.
Nikev

On initial startup should I use the iPhone for activation or install go on the new nvidia shield and use it.v
Either will work.

I seem to understand on activation I will need wifi or cellular service.
That's correct.

I would think initially I would want to not update. Will it ask me?
It should prompt you if a firmware update is available. You can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

I have not yet done the FAA registration, will I need any of that info when doing initial activation?
No. You can register now here.

Reactions: flyboy73
Thanks msinger
When it prompts for the update will I have the option to decline and if so any idea if the current app will fly the bird with the old firmware?

Eventually plan to update, but hope to at least fly a bit when I first activate.
Nikev

any idea if the current app will fly the bird with the old firmware?
I haven't tried running firmware from August 2015, but I don't think it'll work. It wouldn't hurt to try it though.

hi all,
I purchased a P3P in August of 2015, life got in the way.since then I have acquired the following
Head play goggles
HDMI output module
Shield K1
Maxuav with sunhans
4 extra batteries
Hard case

I have never powered up or installed the props.

I installed go app on my iPhone back then and set up an account.

My main question is

On initial startup should I use the iPhone for activation or install go on the new nvidia shield and use it. I seem to understand on activation I will need wifi or cellular service.

Will the current go app work with the older firmware that I am sure is on the bird? I would think initially I would want to not update. Will it ask me? None of the a accessories have been installed as I figure I would get familiar with it first.

I have printed out and made a binder of all the manuals and read and reread to the point where I can see mistakes some owners made when they describe a "flyaway".

One other question I have not yet done the FAA registration, will I need any of that info when doing initial activation?

Thanks in advance I have learned a lot here already and yes I know it's hard to believe 16 months without powering up.
Nikev
With all the reading you have done you probably already have a good idea about this, but I would strongly suggest you find an area to fly that is wide open, ie no trees. Trees are not your friend when learning to fly a drone. In addition, I would suggest not using the goggles for takeoff and landing. It is much better to be able to see exactly what the drone is doing during those two critical stages. Good luck, and have fun.

Thanj you flyboy
The goggles and hdmi module were a.gift from my wife. I intend to get quite a bit of flying under my belt before attempting any FPV.
I have access to an old quarry for an open area for practice.
All suggestions appreciated.
Nikev

Update
Bird would not fly on old firmware, could control camera.
After carefully following msingers post on updating (thanks) I had no issue upgrading AC and RC to 1.3.20
When update was complete and showing success on both I had control of the AC, but with a motor obstructed pop up even with no props installed.
Did some more reading and upgraded both AC and RC to 1.8.80. Again following instructions to the letter and waiting patiently through all the beeps and flashes success on both.
I just had my first flight outside and feel pretty pumped.
Thanks to all on this forum.
Nikev

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj