Newbie here with a ?

Reaction score
Hello All,

Let me give you a background first. I was just given a Phantom 1 that has never been flown yet. I have been trying to learn as much as I can about this original model, but sometimes it's hard to tell which model people are talking about.
Anyway, I have updated the firmware using Naza M 2.20 Assistant. And I don't see where I can change the RTH height.
Is that not available in this version? And should I be using a different version software?
This is what is listed on the DJI site for the Phantom 1.
I still have a lot to learn about this aspect of RC. I've been in RC for over forty years.:eek:
This is not my first quad, but it is my first video platform.
Thank You
Brian

I have 3 Phantom 1s. One is on 4.00 and the other 2 are on 4.02. You can not change the rth altitude in the software. The default height is about 60 feet from take off level. That may not clear some trees.. Here's what to do. Take off and raise your phantom to a certain level, like tree tops. Use your S2 switch(left toggle) and starting at middle position , flip switch from middle to down position and back to middle position quickly five times ending in middle position. Watch the led on Phantom for quick green flashes indicating you have reset home point. The rth altitude will be 60 feet above that point. So if you went up to 60 feet and reset home point, your rth altitude is now 120 feet. Be sure to put S2 in top position after doing this. You can take off in one area and walk and fly and reset your home point along the way if you wish. You can also reset course lock direction by flipping S2 from top to middle and back 5 times ending at top position. Again, watch for the quick green flashes . I may take off around trees and fly to an open area and reset home point. Hope this helps.

Thanks Monte55,
That makes total sense. Is there a thread where all the Phantom 1 upgrades and mods are together? I don't have the time to read over 2000 pages of the Phantom 1 thread.
Thanks again
Brian

Thanks Monte55,
That makes total sense. Is there a thread where all the Phantom 1 upgrades and mods are together? I don't have the time to read over 2000 pages of the Phantom 1 thread.
Thanks again
Brian
Not sure about one page for that. If you have a particular question, you could try the search function. Another thing to note... pay attention to the direction the phantom is facing at start up. First set of quick green flashes is setting the course lock and the second set of green flashes is recording home point. Course lock can screw you up if you don't understand it. You have to select IOC in software to use those functions. Do you have two antennas coming down the legs. if so that is a later model P1. You should also have a pitch lever on back of remote but that has to be set up in software. That is if you will be using a gimbal and want to control pitch of camera,

Hey Monte,
I had a little trouble connecting to the Naza M assistant until I found the driver signing issue in Windows 10.
I had to do an advanced calibration to get it to fly correctly.
It doesn't have the dual antennas. There is a main board in with all the extra stuff. How can I tell if this is the old board that has been replaced or is the upgrade board yet to be installed?
I did enable IOC in the assistant and I do understand the difference between homelock and courselock. In manual she seems pretty fast, thou I didn't try that too much as I've only ran two batteries through it so far.
The gimbal tilt lever is in a package, I plan to install. The gimbal included has no directions or literature on what it is. If I took a picture, I wonder if anyone would recognize it?
He said it gyro stabilized. I don't have a camera yet. I have a GoPro 3 Black on it's way.
My next step is to find bigger batteries. There are two stock batteries and they don't last long. I need to see what mods make sense for this old of a bird.
The guy that gave me this P1 is getting a P4 and I'll be helping him get that all set up.
Oh, and I picked up a backpack case on Ebay for $14 new.:D
Cheers
Brian

Hey Monte,
I had a little trouble connecting to the Naza M assistant until I found the driver signing issue in Windows 10.
I had to do an advanced calibration to get it to fly correctly.
It doesn't have the dual antennas. There is a main board in with all the extra stuff. How can I tell if this is the old board that has been replaced or is the upgrade board yet to be installed?
I did enable IOC in the assistant and I do understand the difference between homelock and courselock. In manual she seems pretty fast, thou I didn't try that too much as I've only ran two batteries through it so far.
The gimbal tilt lever is in a package, I plan to install. The gimbal included has no directions or literature on what it is. If I took a picture, I wonder if anyone would recognize it?
He said it gyro stabilized. I don't have a camera yet. I have a GoPro 3 Black on it's way.
My next step is to find bigger batteries. There are two stock batteries and they don't last long. I need to see what mods make sense for this old of a bird.
The guy that gave me this P1 is getting a P4 and I'll be helping him get that all set up.
Oh, and I picked up a backpack case on Ebay for $14 new.:D
Cheers
Brian
I was thinking you had a later P1. Mine are Phantom 1 1.1.1. Has two antennas and the lever is already on back of remote. I have no ides about the circuit boards. I have never had the need to open my birds. I never set up the camera pitch lever. I see no real need. I cant see what the camera see so I never messed with it. I have 2 Walkera gimbals. One is a 2d and the other is a 3 d. They do not need to be connected to the inside of Phantom. Just add power by using a small battery or use the aux power leads coming out of Phantom and using flight battery. You set pitch and level with a small screw driver on gimbal itself. With the gimbal, the camera is very close to ground. You will want to raise the bird some, There are longer legs and other things that can be fitted to do this. The most simple is what I did. and really cost nothing. I used pvc water pipe. About 1 inch diameter. ,If you add longer legs etc , it may not fit into a case. These just snap on and off easily.

Attachments

• Phantom feet.jpg
    Phantom feet.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 346
  • Phantom Gear Extension.jpg
    Phantom Gear Extension.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 377
After much reading and seeing what some others have done I started using the Multistar 4000 ma battery. You will have to modify the battery opening some to accept the larger battery. I also went to 9 inch props for the phantom carrying the gimbal and camera. Bare Phantom does well with stock battery and props.

Hey Monte,

I like those gear extensions. Can you tell me if I can use the upgrade board to run one of the cheap Chinese gimbals? I've been trying to find any info on that with no success. All I can find is how to connect the gimbal to the Naza M for tilt and roll. I installed the upgrade board thinking I would use it for the gimbal. But it looks like it will work with the Zenmuse gimbal, but not with the cheap Chinese gimbal I have here. Unless there is an adapter from the 8 pin to the gimbal. If I had a wiring schematic I could adapt myself. Is there a reason to use the upgrade board connection for this or is it better to Naza M to control the gimbal?
Also, I noticed that there is a LightBridge category in this Phamtom 1 forum. Does that mean the software can be used with this Phantom 1?
Thanks Cheers
Brian

Hey Monte,

I like those gear extensions. Can you tell me if I can use the upgrade board to run one of the cheap Chinese gimbals? I've been trying to find any info on that with no success. All I can find is how to connect the gimbal to the Naza M for tilt and roll. I installed the upgrade board thinking I would use it for the gimbal. But it looks like it will work with the Zenmuse gimbal, but not with the cheap Chinese gimbal I have here. Unless there is an adapter from the 8 pin to the gimbal. If I had a wiring schematic I could adapt myself. Is there a reason to use the upgrade board connection for this or is it better to Naza M to control the gimbal?
Also, I noticed that there is a LightBridge category in this Phamtom 1 forum. Does that mean the software can be used with this Phantom 1?
Thanks Cheers
Brian
I guess the additional board you are speaking about is the PMU:this board gives you additional Canbus port to be used to interface DJI equipment like mini OSD (for telemetry) and the Zemmuse Gimbal. For the cheap chinese gimbal (I have one) what you can do is to control the camera pitch from the Phantom remote(by installing the lever on the back side of the transmitter). NazaM gives you the possibility to control also the camera ROLL, but you need an additional potentiometer that is not available on the stock Phantom transmitter.
The Gimbal is simply controlled with 1 or 2 wires from the NazaM F2(pitch) and F1 (roll) , without using the Canbus port.
About the batteries, the biggest I could find that fits in the stock battery compartment is the BlackMagic 3000mah that gives me a flight time of about 13min 30 sec with stock 8" propellers and something more than 15 minutes with 9043 self tightening plastic propellers. This battery fits perfectly the compartment if you insert the connectors first. I prefer to make 2 small holes at the side of the stock cover in order to be able to connect the battery and live the connector ourside, as shown in the attached picture.
More pictures are available in post #12 of this discussion:

Phantom 1 Lipo battery advice?

Attachments

• DSCN9307.JPG
    DSCN9307.JPG
    871.7 KB · Views: 342
Hey Gianni,

The upgrade board that I installed, replaces the original main board, is for controlling the H3-2D gimbal. And it also has a plug in for tx power and a couple of other plug ins that say reserved. Reserved for what I don't know.
I already have the gimbal tilt working, but not to my satisfaction. I can tilt the gimbal, but I had to lower the end point as the camera was looking up at the Phantom. But when I lowered the end point to get the gimbal to be level, I have lost about half the travel on the lever. I can move the lever almost half way before the gimbal starts to tilt. How do I get the resolution back in the tilt so I use all the throw of the lever?
It looks like you have the same board on your gimbal that I have, any help would be greatly appreciated.
As far as the battery, I'll probably end up doing a double exterior battery.
Cheers
Brian

Well,

I got the gimbal worked out. I had to put the naza setting that I had at -200 back to -1000 and change the setting in the SimpleBGC software.
Cheers
Brian

I have 3 Phantom 1s. One is on 4.00 and the other 2 are on 4.02. You can not change the rth altitude in the software. The default height is about 60 feet from take off level. That may not clear some trees.. Here's what to do. Take off and raise your phantom to a certain level, like tree tops. Use your S2 switch(left toggle) and starting at middle position , flip switch from middle to down position and back to middle position quickly five times ending in middle position. Watch the led on Phantom for quick green flashes indicating you have reset home point. The rth altitude will be 60 feet above that point. So if you went up to 60 feet and reset home point, your rth altitude is now 120 feet. Be sure to put S2 in top position after doing this. You can take off in one area and walk and fly and reset your home point along the way if you wish. You can also reset course lock direction by flipping S2 from top to middle and back 5 times ending at top position. Again, watch for the quick green flashes . I may take off around trees and fly to an open area and reset home point. Hope this helps.

If you reset your home point 60 feet in the air and press RTH somewhere during your flight, will it think it has landed at that altitude and shut off the motors while still 60 feet up? I know that's a dumb question but it begged to be asked! :)

If you reset your home point 60 feet in the air and press RTH somewhere during your flight, will it think it has landed at that altitude and shut off the motors while still 60 feet up? I know that's a dumb question but it begged to be asked! :)
On the P! remotes, there is no button to press for RTH. The right toggle switch has three positions. S1. The top position is GPS mode...middle is ATTI....bottom is Atti...or RTH..or Manual mode. You select that in the assistant software.
Now to answer your question. If the quad enters RTH mode due to loss of signal from remote....turning off transmitter...or flipping right toggle switch to lower position and it is RTH as selected...the quad will come home and land. It will not stop 60 feet up in the air. It has a barometer that measures air pressure and when it senses no more downward travel, it will assume it had landed on the ground and will turn off props. Now, if you should land in a tree and no more descending it will shut off rotors thinking it's on the ground. Just like if you hand catch and hold it still for a bit.

Thanks Monte. I Never owned or flew a P1, didn't realize they don't have an RTH button like my P3P. I kinda figured the "no more downward travel" would be the case the same as it is for my P3P. I think I was just mess'n with ya! :)

Thanks Monte. I Never owned or flew a P1, didn't realize they don't have an RTH button like my P3P. I kinda figured the "no more downward travel" would be the case the same as it is for my P3P. I think I was just mess'n with ya! :)
I like my P1s. they are not restricted by NFZs and other crap. Just go out and fly it. I really have no need for the long distance flying and dealing with all the other things like constant upgrades etc but I will admit the newer ones can do some amazing things.

Hey guys,

Are there any expo adjustments for the tx? SR6 and Phantom 1.0. I turned down the yaw gain from 100 to 90. I'm going out now to see how much difference it made.

Well,

I got the gimbal worked out. I had to put the naza setting that I had at -200 back to -1000 and change the setting in the SimpleBGC software.
Cheers
Brian

Sorry for the delay, but I read your post right now.
About the problem of the camera facing up , it depends on which side the IMU sensor is mounted.Y BGC2_2B2_1.jpg ou have 2 possibilities:
-in the BGC "BASIC" page, swap the "TOP AXIS" parameter from Z to -Z or viceversa.
-In the "RC Settings" page put in "PITCH MIN ANGLE" parameter a value greater than "PITCH MAX ANGLE" parameter.
Attached you find the pages of my settings.

Attachments

• BGC2_2B2_2.jpg
    BGC2_2B2_2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 283
  • BGC2_2B2_3.jpg
    BGC2_2B2_3.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 335

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads