Newbie Here with a couple of Questions

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am new to this but have owned the Phantom 1 for a few years but with work commitments have never had it out the box etc.
Well that's changed and I have managed to make some time and have had it out the box and have done a little flying, with some success.

However I am guessing the Firmware is a little out of date and needs updating, I have seen some U Tube video's that talk about plugging a USB lead into the Controller, (Mine is an SR6) However there is no Micro USB connection on the inside of my Controller, I have posted a Photo to Show it. Any help on upgrading the Firmware would be appreciated.

The second question is,
I also have a Walkera G-2D Brushless Gimbal that has never been fitted (Still Boxed) Is there any advice and tips on fitting this and also I don't seem to have a Pitch Lever for the Gimbal on my Controller I am guessing these can be brought separately and retro fitted so any advice with this as well.

Thanks in Advance
James

Attachments

• 2016-08-26 13.46.53.jpg
    2016-08-26 13.46.53.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 399
Jim,

My gut feeling tells me you may not be able to upgrade firmware on your P1 because I don't believe DJI supports P1 upgrades anymore on its website. Last time I looked only P3 and P4 Phantom downloads were available.

Early DJI firmware upgrades changed flying characteristics that may pilots did not like changed (maximum landing speed, etc.), so if your happy with how it flies now, you may be better off not trying to find upgraded firmware.

If your interested in activating Home Lock and Course Lock, however, which are off by default in "out of the box" P1's, take a look at this series of posts:

Phantom 1 firmware - RC Groups

Lastly, try this link for information about attaching a gimbal control lever...
Google

P.S. I can't vouch for it being the most current version of the P1 manual but if it helps, attached is a copy for you to look at.

Attachments

• PHANTOM_Advanced_Manual_en.pdf
    655.5 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Which Phantom 1 do you have? Does it have 2 antennas on landing legs? I have 3 Phantom 1s 1.1.1. I got my first in April 2014 and the firmware is v er 4.00 and the other 2 bought in 2015 are on ver 4.02. I have never upgraded firmware and have no problems. never have connected my transmitter to computer either...only the bird. They all fly fine. There are some changes you will want to do when connected to assistant software like selecting IOC, setting range to max, setting up S2 switch to what you want it to do. I also have the Walkera G2D white plastic gimbal and a few months ago got the Walkera G3D metal gimbal. If I can help you, let me know. You don't get much response here on these older birds as many are flying P3s and P4s now and never touched a P1. The P1 is still a very smart bird and you don't have to worry about no fly zones . It doesn't see them although you still need to follow the rules.
Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for your Reply, I am not totally sure which Phantom 1 I have, it on,y has 1 Antenna on the Legs. I haven't actually connected the Drone to the PC/Software yet. How do I determin what Firmware I am on, although based on what you are saying it may not be worth upgrading anyway.
Sorry if I seem a bit Dumb, What is IOC and what do I need to set it to, what sort of things can I set the S2 switch to.
Also anything I need to watch when fitting the gimbal or any advice, I plan on doing that next week. I have just order a just ordered a gimbal pitch switch to add to the controller.
Thanks again for your help
James

Hi Nick, thanks for your Reply, I am not totally sure which Phantom 1 I have, it on,y has 1 Antenna on the Legs. I haven't actually connected the Drone to the PC/Software yet. How do I determin what Firmware I am on, although based on what you are saying it may not be worth upgrading anyway.
Sorry if I seem a bit Dumb, What is IOC and what do I need to set it to, what sort of things can I set the S2 switch to.
Also anything I need to watch when fitting the gimbal or any advice, I plan on doing that next week. I have just order a just ordered a gimbal pitch switch to add to the controller.
Thanks again for your help
James
I would get numbers off of quad or box and track that down to see which one you have and find the proper software to download to your computer. S1 switch has 3 positions. Top is GPS, middle is atti, bottom can be atti, failsafe, which is return to home, or manual which is what I have selected. IOC is very cool. If IOC is not selected in assistant software, The S2, left switch, really doesn't do anything. IOC lets you select HOMELOCK and COURSE LOCK. HL is cool. if your phantom is a long ways out and you can't see it well to control it, set S2 all the way down . No matter which way the quad is pointing, pulling right stick back will fly quad back to your home point. Youtube has many videos on this. I have the camera pitch control on my txs but never have used it. never saw the need since you can't see what your camera sees . I would hold off of that until you get more important things sorted out. I am not familiar with the firmware on the earlier P1s than mine. Probably very similar though. On my Walkera white G2D gimbal, I reversed the top plate above the rubbers. This sets the camera back a but further and does not interfere with battery door. To simply use the gimbal, it doesn't even have to be connect to quad. A small 7.4 850ma battery strapped to leg will power it fine. The pitch and horizontal can be adjusted by the two pots on the gimbal bottom side with the little plastic screwdriver they give you. One step at a time to put this all together. .

Last edited:
I would get numbers off of quad or box and track that down to see which one you have and find the proper software to download to your computer. S1 switch has 3 positions. Top is GPS, middle is atti, bottom can be atti, failsafe, which is return to home, or manual which is what I have selected. IOC is very cool. If IOC is not selected in assistant software, The S2, left switch, really doesn't do anything. IOC lets you select HOMELOCK and COURSE LOCK. HL is cool. if your phantom is a long ways out and you can see it well to control it, set S2 all the way down . No matter which way the quad is pointing, pulling right stick back will fly quad back to your home point. Youtube has many videos on this. I have the camera pitch control on my txs but never have used it. never saw the need since you can't see what your camera sees . I would hold off of that until you get more important things sorted out. I am not familiar with the firmware on the earlier P1s than mine. Probably very similar though. On my Walkera white G2D gimbal, I reversed the top plate above the rubbers. This sets the camera back a but further and does not interfere with battery door. To simply use the gimbal, it doesn't even have to be connect to quad. A small 7.4 850ma battery strapped to leg will power it fine. The pitch and horizontal can be adjusted by the two pots on the gimbal bottom side with the little plastic screwdriver they give you. One step at a time to put this all together. .

@ Montee5,
Since the DJI website no longer offers P1 downloads where would Jim go to get P1 firmware?

@Jim
Since you have the SR6 remote you have either the v1.1 or v1.2 Phantom (see the below link)
DJI Phantom SR6 2.4GHz Radio Controller (Part 13) [DJI-PHRADIO] | Drones

I think Montee5's advice is good.... go slow, practice learning how important orientation is (learning where the nose of P1 is at a distance) and then practice, practice until you have to think less and less about how to make P1 do what you want.

Fred

It means I hit the wrong button....:oops:

See above...
I've done that many times. I usually just go back and delete it or write something that makes it appear as though I had something to say. Ha.

Ok. I wasn't sure. I see this all the time. Are you saying P1 assistant is no longer available. I have it on my 4 year old laptop and no problems but what happens if my computer crashes?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. None of the P1 (or for that matter P2) programs, firmware or manuals are on the DJI website any longer.

Might be a good idea to backup anything you want to preserve on a flash drive (or in the Cloud) just in case your pc goes down.

I would get numbers off of quad or box and track that down to see which one you have and find the proper software to download to your computer. S1 switch has 3 positions. Top is GPS, middle is atti, bottom can be atti, failsafe, which is return to home, or manual which is what I have selected. IOC is very cool. If IOC is not selected in assistant software, The S2, left switch, really doesn't do anything. IOC lets you select HOMELOCK and COURSE LOCK. HL is cool. if your phantom is a long ways out and you can't see it well to control it, set S2 all the way down . No matter which way the quad is pointing, pulling right stick back will fly quad back to your home point. Youtube has many videos on this. I have the camera pitch control on my txs but never have used it. never saw the need since you can't see what your camera sees . I would hold off of that until you get more important things sorted out. I am not familiar with the firmware on the earlier P1s than mine. Probably very similar though. On my Walkera white G2D gimbal, I reversed the top plate above the rubbers. This sets the camera back a but further and does not interfere with battery door. To simply use the gimbal, it doesn't even have to be connect to quad. A small 7.4 850ma battery strapped to leg will power it fine. The pitch and horizontal can be adjusted by the two pots on the gimbal bottom side with the little plastic screwdriver they give you. One step at a time to put this all together. .
Hi thanks for all the I no very much a appreciated. I will check numbers and determine exact model of my Phnatom 1.
Then get the software installed and look at the changes and updates.
Will report back.
Thanks again
James

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. None of the P1 (or for that matter P2) programs, firmware or manuals are on the DJI website any longer.

Might be a good idea to backup anything you want to preserve on a flash drive (or in the Cloud) just in case your pc goes down.

You find all the software in this page.

DJI Phantom Drone

Just click on the Phantom 4 picture in foreground to make it disappearing, then you find all the specs and downloads for the P1

check here DJI Phantom Drone for the old phantom website all the information and downloads are still available there.

Dan

Sorry mallard12: I did not realize you post the link before me (it was not shown as a link on my laptop).

Hmm.... for some reason DJI is making it difficult to get P1 & P2 downloads.

Most people would try DJI.com and see no information about the earlier models.

No where in that link's menu structure does it show P1 or P2 information.

Thanks for posting a link showing this information.

Hmm.... for some reason DJI is making it difficult to get P1 & P2 downloads.

Most people would try DJI.com and see no information about the earlier models.

No where in that link's menu structure does it show P1 or P2 information.

Thanks for posting a link showing this information.

The reason is commercial: they are discouraging people to buy the last remaining P1 and P2 stocks available at distributor premises, in order to push the people to buy the new products. We can agree or not, but this is the business...
However I found the link simply searching on Google "Phantom 1 software" and I got directly the link I posted you.
Another remark on a point that was discussed in this Forum some time ago. If you find problems in installing the driver on Windows 10 Pro, one of the ways to bypass the problem is to temporarily set the date of your PC in 2014(I am not sure if it works setting 2015 as well). Then install the driver and Nazam software. Then switch back your date and time to the current date and time and everything should work. I tried in this way and I was successfull.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4