newbie got some Q's

Reaction score
Hello and I hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas.

I have purchased a DJI Phantom 2 without camera or gimble and I have a few questions for when I want to purchase my GoPro and Gimble and I'm sure someone here can assist me.

What is the difference with a H3-2D and a H3-3D Gimble Support please?

I want in the future to have very smooth flight recordings as well as camera quality. Could anybody please advise the top 3 cameras and gimbles please. Would really appreciate it a lot as I'm somewhat confused as to what I should purchase and if it's compatible (if that's a thing with these).

Again thank you for reading and thanks in advance with any assistance that anybody can offer.

Regards

Dave.

AtrociousTroll said:
Hello and I hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas.

I have purchased a DJI Phantom 2 without camera or gimble and I have a few questions for when I want to purchase my GoPro and Gimble and I'm sure someone here can assist me.

What is the difference with a H3-2D and a H3-3D Gimble Support please?

I want in the future to have very smooth flight recordings as well as camera quality. Could anybody please advise the top 3 cameras and gimbles please. Would really appreciate it a lot as I'm somewhat confused as to what I should purchase and if it's compatible (if that's a thing with these).

Again thank you for reading and thanks in advance with any assistance that anybody can offer.

Regards

Dave.

Hard to beat a GoPro Hero 4 for video quality and flexibility in editing, and the Zenmuse H3D3 gimbal is reliable and pretty robust (H3D3 manages camera angle in 3 axes, the H3D2 in 2 axes. Three is better, you'll get more stable video). So, you'd get the best video with the Zenmuse H3D3 video and GoPro4. However, you won't have FPV, therefore you won't know for sure what the camera is shooting, and you won't be able to control the camera in flight. Meaning that you first have to decide if you're shooting stills or video, then set the camera to that mode, start recording, then take off on your flight. If you're shooting stills, you have to set the camera's intervalometer.

It would be possible to cobble together the ability to use different gimbals, but AFAIK there are none that are better than the Zenmuse, just cheaper. As to cameras, also likely possible if you're into tinkering and frustration, but GoPro/Zenmuse is going to be pretty much plug and play, with the limitations I mentioned above (which all camera/gimble combos are going to have).

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of nice and knowledgeable people here. I fall into the first category (I hope) and sometimes I fall into the latter category!

The best way I know to compare 2d versus 3D gimbals is that a 2D gimbal moves the camera up/down and side to side. A 3D gimbal adds the ability for the camera to rotate in another direction. For example, if you are holding the drone so the camera is facing you, if you tilt the Phantom with the right side down, then the left side down, a 3D gimbal allows the camera to tilt left and right, to maintain the camera being horizontal to the ground.

Search on Google for 2d gimbal versus 3D gimbal. There will be a YouTube video there that shows the difference, in video being filmed. I apologise for not putting the link here. But, I will find the video and I'll post the link here, to this response.

As for cameras, the Phantom 2 doesn't have a lot of lift capacity. So, basically the Hero camera line is the best choice. I have a Hero 3, Black edition. I had it before buying the Phantom. I would love to have the Hero 4 and if you can afford it, buy it! Watch out though, as the new Hero 4 is smaller. You need a gimbal made for Hero 4's.

I use the Zenmuse 3D gimbal made for a Hero 4. However, I've heard talk of another popular gimbal here. I haven't looked into it, so I can't guarantee which is best.

Don't feel disappointed about only being able to use the Hero cameras. They are very impressive and the Hero 4 shoots at full motion picture resolution. The only thing that is lacking is it not being able to accept different lenses. I feel that will happen someday, but it will be hard to do as the camera is so small. Plus, the Hero's come with an underwater housing. I bought the LCD, clip on screen. Even a rear housing, to accept the the LCD screen, is included!

I hope that I helped you. Again, welcome!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4