Newbie first crash

Reaction score
Hi

I just crashed my p3s for the first time and now i'm a 40yr old who wants to cry!

Thankfully there are no visible signs of damage, but i think i have a bigger problem.

I am a total newbie and i was trying to be clever by bringing back closer to home myself when i panicked and clipped the side of my house.

When i picked it up and carried it to an open space so i could try and start it i noticed the battery had come out.

Now when i turn it on the drone flashes red, yellow & green. Also internet is unavailable and when i try to turn it off the drone flashes yellow and the battery on/off button flashes red.

Please don't tell me i killed it already. I took it away with me for four weeks so i could learn how to fly it and i broke it after just 1

I'm not sure about the battery flashing part, however, after a crash I would suggest recalibrating EVERYTHING. IMU, Gimbal, and Compass. Also try uploading your flight record to HealthyDrones.com (and share here if you choose) to see if there's anything to be uncovered from sensor data.

I don't know what internet availability has to do with your problem. The Phantom is able to fly without it, in fact the Standard (I have this one so I know this to be true) can be strictly flown LOS by RC without any app at all albeit without camera functionality.

That's a good starting point. Let us know how that works to start.

I'm not sure about the battery flashing part, however, after a crash I would suggest recalibrating EVERYTHING. IMU, Gimbal, and Compass. Also try uploading your flight record to HealthyDrones.com (and share here if you choose) to see if there's anything to be uncovered from sensor data.

I don't know what internet availability has to do with your problem. The Phantom is able to fly without it, in fact the Standard (I have this one so I know this to be true) can be strictly flown LOS by RC without any app at all albeit without camera functionality.

That's a good starting point. Let us know how that works to start.

Thank you very much for the reply. I will try these steps tomorrow and get back to you.

Also do a visual inspection of the P3 for any minor cracks or breaks, particularly along the arms and around the motors. Are you able to arm the motors? If so, listen for any changes compared to baseline.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've tried a few things now, but it's still not working. I can't connect, therefore I can't reset imu etc. I've watched videoes but i'm getting frustrated and losing patience now. I think I will eventually taken it to someone to repair it.

First of all, pull the props just in case, with every thing on is the remote light green or red. If its green the you should be able to start the motors.

Rod

This won't help right now but, while your getting it repaired go and buy yourself an inexpensive bird with no GPS. Learn to fly it, get your orientation techniques downpat. I started with a Syma x5c-1, $50, crashed the crap out of it. It's tough! Now, I don't worry about having to take control of my EXPENSIVE phantom if I have to! Just food for thought brotha, hope you get your bird fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using PhantomPilots mobile app

This won't help right now but, while your getting it repaired go and buy yourself an inexpensive bird with no GPS. Learn to fly it, get your orientation techniques downpat. I started with a Syma x5c-1, $50, crashed the crap out of it. It's tough! Now, I don't worry about having to take control of my EXPENSIVE phantom if I have to! Just food for thought brotha, hope you get your bird fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had an inexpensive one for about 7 months, that's another reason why i'm passed off. I didn't crash my p3s at speed that's what annoys me, I know I wouldn't have done the same with the cheap one.

What about the light on the remote, green or red?

...When i picked it up and carried it to an open space so i could try and start it i noticed the battery had come out...
Wait a minute, wait a minute! You didn't notice the battery was out until AFTER you carried it to an open space? There's a very noticeable weight difference without a battery! You should have noticed that the instant you picked it up! Oh well, you were probably in shock. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you get it all back to normal. I've been flying since March, including several 2+ mile Litchi flights and haven't crashed yet but I still get butterflies before every long range or over water flight. Had one compass error (over the lake!) but switched quickly to Atti mode and landed it (my fault - I took off from a metal dock and KNEW it might be problematic but did it anyway. ) My nearest miss was a low battery warning as I tried to land in the bed of my truck. I'd only been flying a few days and I got cocky, overestimating my skill level. I got nervous and backed it out to land on the ground. Maybe a foot before landing, RTH kicked in and it shot straight up to 100 ft. I cancelled RTH and landed ok BUT if RTH had kicked in while it was over my truck bed, it would have gone straight up into the clutches of the evil oak tree hanging menacingly over it, waiting for just the right moment to snatch my Phantom and devour it. One day, it'll happen to me and I'll be posting about it. I just hope it's later rather than sooner!

Reactions: Neon Euc
Wait a minute, wait a minute! You didn't notice the battery was out until AFTER you carried it to an open space? There's a very noticeable weight difference without a battery! You should have noticed that the instant you picked it up! Oh well, you were probably in shock. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you get it all back to normal. I've been flying since March, including several 2+ mile Litchi flights and haven't crashed yet but I still get butterflies before every long range or over water flight. Had one compass error (over the lake!) but switched quickly to Atti mode and landed it (my fault - I took off from a metal dock and KNEW it might be problematic but did it anyway. ) My nearest miss was a low battery warning as I tried to land in the bed of my truck. I'd only been flying a few days and I got cocky, overestimating my skill level. I got nervous and backed it out to land on the ground. Maybe a foot before landing, RTH kicked in and it shot straight up to 100 ft. I cancelled RTH and landed ok BUT if RTH had kicked in while it was over my truck bed, it would have gone straight up into the clutches of the evil oak tree hanging menacingly over it, waiting for just the right moment to snatch my Phantom and devour it. One day, it'll happen to me and I'll be posting about it. I just hope it's later rather than sooner!

Yeah, I think he was in shock, started his thread "Newbie First Crash" ;)
Yep, that's kind of the first thing we look for now, what is the battery level.
Actually while writing a reply to your super long message:rolleyes:

Here is my new thought,
If the battery popped out on impact of the house, or from its drop to the ground, and it is not working, then some damage had to be done.

For the followers,
Any ideas he should try, or any anybody agree or disagree with me?

Sorry I should have made it clearer. The battery wasn't out fully, it just wasn't clipped in place. Like I said, it wasn't till I set it down did I notice.

I've just had an online chat with dji and they tried to run through with me what to do.

We tried linking the remote but I told him I don't see a link button only a light. He said don't wRory just push it, which I did and nothing happened. I am sure there is no button!

I will go back to the chat later.

Yeah, I think he was in shock, started his thread "Newbie First Crash" ;)
Yep, that's kind of the first thing we look for now, what is the battery level.
Actually while writing a reply to your super long message:rolleyes:

Here is my new thought,
If the battery popped out on impact of the house, or from its drop to the ground, and it is not working, then some damage had to be done.

For the followers,
Any ideas he should try, or any anybody agree or disagree with me?
Agree. Unless the battery wasn't seated well ("clicked in" top and bottom), it should take a pretty good impact to knock it out.

I've just had an online chat with dji and they tried to run through with me what to do.

We tried linking the remote but I told him I don't see a link button only a light. He said don't wRory just push it, which I did and nothing happened. I am sure there is no button!

I will go back to the chat later.
There HAS to be a button unless yours is the ONLY Phantom without one. There's a diagram/drawing in the manual that shows you where the button us.

The light IS the button -- Or, at least it is on my P3S. Get a little pencil/poker/similar object to use when connecting to the RC. It should do the trick.

Btw, I'd recommend investing in a set of prop guards while you're getting accustomed to flying. I have them on mine and they saved me from damaging my P3S when it had an altercation with a birch tree in my front yard.

Good luck!

Reactions: JonnyBenson
Agree. Unless the battery wasn't seated well ("clicked in" top and bottom), it should take a pretty good impact to knock it out.

I admit i'm a total newbie, but i'm not completely stupid. The battery WAS clicked in properly. Contact with the house was minimal but still enough to bring it down. The fall was approx 15ft onto grass, so for sure that was probably enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl