Newbie Device Help?!

Reaction score
Hi guys just wondered if anyone can help.. I am picking up an ipad air 2 for my new phantom 4 today.

Which one of these 2 would you pick which I can get for the same price? (Not sure how important gps will be to me)

Ipad Air 2 64GB WiFi

Ipad Air 16Gb WiFi & 4G

GPS is only important if you want to use the Follow Me feature or reset the home point to your current location after takeoff.

The 64GB tablet will resell for more later, but it'll be overkill if you're only using it to fly your Phantom. I buy 16GB tablets and have not even used 10% of the available memory.

Hi guys just wondered if anyone can help.. I am picking up an ipad air 2 for my new phantom 4 today.

Which one of these 2 would you pick which I can get for the same price? (Not sure how important gps will be to me)

Ipad Air 2 64GB WiFi

Ipad Air 16Gb WiFi & 4G
I have the iPad Air 2 9.7", 16 GB and only use it with the P4.
Does very nice job and is better to see in bright sun then most other pads. Screen reflections of your face are much less then other brands of tablets. You will really like it.

I fly with an iPad Mini 4 64GB WiFi model. I tether it to my iPhone 6s which allows me to use the GPS feature as well. Air 2 is also excellent, if you're interested in that size then I would suggest to check out the Pro Mini. If you're using it for flying only then smallest GB will suffice. I love my iPad and use it for everything else as well as flying so I went with the 64GB version.

I have a 16 GB Air with 4G/LTE.

It's a little tight in the memory department. They are advertised as having 16 GB, but after the operating system is installed, you only have 11.9 GB of memory left. Add a few apps and that goes down fast.

I would go with the 4G/LTE model. That way you can get map updates and use other internet functions when flying out in the middle of a field without having to WiFi tether to a phone set up as a hot spot.

I've read in various forums that WiFi can interfere the RC's receiver because the frequencies they work on are very close. But I don't know this for sure.

Another thing to consider is that in most cases, there is an extra cost for the iPad cellular service. My carrier lets me add the iPad to my phone plan for an extra $10 per month.

I fly with an iPad Mini 4 64GB WiFi model. I tether it to my iPhone 6s which allows me to use the GPS feature as well.
Which GPS features are you referring to?

The follow me and updating home location
You're confirming that you've actually done this? I haven't personally tried it on an iPad Mini 4 Wi-Fi version, but countless people have said it does not work.

Last edited:
Does a cellular version have to be activated on a cell network for the GPS/Follow Me/Reset Home Point to work?

Thanks for the replies.. so basically what your saying is that it would be more beneficial to me to have the option of GPS rather than more memory on the device

Thanks for the replies.. so basically what your saying is that it would be more beneficial to me to have the option of GPS rather than more memory on the device
You can get 300MB of data free each month from T Mobile (assuming you're in the US) if you have an iPad with Cellular capability. You just need to buy the sim card from them for like $10.
I would go with the LTE version. There are so many times I wish I had LTE on my iPad mini, for convenience.
Another thing to consider is how long it will be until the iPad air is outdated. The iPad air 2 (speed wise) will be better in the long run.

Reactions: Sim597
You can easily tether to get the GPS, besides, it's less of a go-no go when using a P4 with active trac, you really don't need it, if you don't mind the extra expense of the data plan, (which u don't NEED)and can't tether to an IPhone then maybe, otherwise the 64gb air 2 to me, would be my choice (I have an IPhone 6+ and an Asus ZenPad s8 and love the setup, the screen is higher density per pixel then the apple, 264ppi to 320ppi for the Asus, even tho both are like 1500x2500

Reactions: Procharged97

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4