Newbie Checking In

Reaction score
Hey all,

Newbie checking in here. Just ordered my first Phantom yesterday on Amazon - should be here tomorrow (Amazon Prime rules). I am more than excited.

A little background on me, I'm an IT Service Desk Manager for a living and love it. Been flying/driving/crashing anything remote control since I was a kid and just recently got back into flying. Started back with a little Syma S107G for $19 on Amazon. Once I got my wings back I moved up to a UDI U818A w/camera and was obsessed with trying to get cool aerial shots. Got quite proficient with that and finally made the plunge on the Phantom 2 Non-Vision. No gimbal or GoPro - just too expensive for me right now. I want to get absolutely proficient with the rig itself before I start adding anything to it. I find the physics behind flying these things and how even the littlest draft or environmental change can completely change the experience to be one of the coolest aspects.

In a few days I'll be signing up for UVU's UAV Pilot Training (http://www.uxvuniversity.com). I've read mostly good things about it aside from some bashing that manned aircraft pilots have posted. Not looking for anything crazy structured and obviously not backed by the FAA or anything. I consider it a good foot in the door and also a chance to fly the DJI S800 and Hubsan SpyHawk which will be my first true FPV experience.

As for me personally, I am no newb to forums as I've been on them for going on 10 years now and have been a mod on other sites for around six years or so now. Each place operates differently and I absolutely still consider myself a newbie when it comes to PhantomPilots and the Phantoms themselves.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I look forward to getting to know everybody and learning more about these things. If there is anybody active in the Southeast, specifically the Central Florida area, please post up and maybe we can schedule a get together at some point.

Cheers!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

iResq said:
Welcome, I hope your not disappointed at how easy these things are to fly!

Ha! I hope not, too, but regardless of how easy they are to fly it's one more vehicle under my belt and maybe one day I'll add a gimbal and GoPro to it and try to regain some of the money I dropped on it. :D

Thanks for the response!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Ha! I hope not, too, but regardless of how easy they are to fly it's one more vehicle under my belt and maybe one day I'll add a gimbal and GoPro to it and try to regain some of the money I dropped on it. :D

Thanks for the response!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif
Hey, welcome to the forum!!
You are going to really enjoy your Phantom. Whatever version you buy will be fine. These aircraft are very stable and easy to fly once you get used to them.
DJI has made a number of improvements to the Phantom aircraft over the last few years and the end result is always a better aircraft.
The latest version(Phantom II Vision Plus 3.0) is the 5th aircraft in the evolution of the Phantom line and it has all the upgrades/improvements. Motors,avionics,controller,compass, and propellers have all been improved.
Aircraft performance(speed,lift and stability) have been improved.

Take your time, first learn how to properly fly it....THEN, work on handling the camera and getting those still and video shots you want.
If you ever find yourself on the East Coast of Canada, let me know and we'll go flying.

Jim.....

Welcome !
What P2 hopefully you got the 2.0 (newst)?
I would not update the software it probably has the 3.08 on it their is nothing wrong with that software .
Read the manual .
Learn the lights (what the mean) they do tell you what's going on .
Do not be afraid to ask questions we have a good group of people here .
The biggest thing be safe & have fun :)

Reactions: SirAchie

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20