Newbie buying Phantom 3 on eBay

Reaction score
Hello,

After drooling over the thought of owning a quadcopter I finally took the plunge yesterday and bought one of these : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221825475322 It's due to arrive tomorrow.

I heard from the vendor today however that it's a brand new US spec boxed item and they are supplying a UK plug for the charger.

Should I send it back and buy from somewhere in the UK? I'm just beginning to read about some of the bad things that can happen with this amazing quadcopter and I really regret stumbling on talk of "flyaways" and having to provide proof of purchase in the event of an RMA if things need repairing. Would it be ok to send them the invoice from the ebayer? They are listed as a registered business on the site.

Obviously hoping nothing does go wrong! Any advice would be appreciated.

Stop panicking and just get it and fly it... everything will be fine.. and if there is a problem.... the warranty is with DJI in the case of a issue of some sort
Your warranty starts when you register the quad in the initial stages of setting up

Worrying about what might be.... will drive you nuts thousands apon thousands of P3 are flying with no issues at all

Thanks Mikee that was exactly what I was hoping to hear. There are so many posts all over the net saying do this and don't do that, it's hard not to read a little too much in to it. Fully intending on spending plenty of time learning all the controls before I fly but that's about it. Cheers

If the dealer you are paying is listed on the DJI site as authorized then you're OK.
(In fairness, it does seem that not all authorized dealers are currently listed...)

With regard to the horror stories you may have read or heard I recommend that you check your FW version which will probably be 1.1.9 on the air-frame and 1.1.2 on your controller.

DO NOT update the firmware on either !!!
You will see the DJI Pilot App telling you you need to update but that is an auto push message and just ignore it.

Download and RTFM. No, not the best written but there is some good content.

With Props OFF: Charge your flight batteries and controller. Perform a compass calibration. Perform an IMU calibration. Perform a gimbal calibration. All easy to do and it will force you to navigate around the app.

Next spend 30-60 minutes just browsing the app with the P3P turned on and the app on.
Learn where basic functions are located. Set your RTH parameters, etc.

I ran two flight batteries down to 50% doing just this the week before I maidened my P3P.

If you have not flown a multirotor or any RC aircraft before just take it easy for the first flights.
Concentrate on flying the P3 in front of you at all times. Do some slow 360 turns next. Practice landing manually after that. Ideally, find a co-pilot to help guide you through the first flights.

If you're an experienced flyer you'll have a blast almost immediately. The stability of the video image is astounding and the range of the P3 is fantastic.

:harry

Reactions: bobmyers
If the dealer you are paying is listed on the DJI site as authorized then you're OK.
(In fairness, it does seem that not all authorized dealers are currently listed...)

With regard to the horror stories you may have read or heard I recommend that you check your FW version which will probably be 1.1.9 on the air-frame and 1.1.2 on your controller.

You will see the DJI Pilot App telling you you need to update but that is an auto push message and just ignore it.

With Props OFF: Charge your flight batteries and controller. Perform a compass calibration. Perform an IMU calibration. Perform a gimbal calibration. All easy to do and it will force you to navigate around the app.

Next spend 30-60 minutes just browsing the app with the P3P turned on and the app on.

I ran two flight batteries down to 50% doing just this the week before I maidened my P3P.

If you have not flown a multirotor or any RC aircraft before just take it easy for the first flights.
Concentrate on flying the P3 in front of you at all times. Do some slow 360 turns next. Practice landing manually after that. Ideally, find a co-pilot to help guide you through the first flights.

If you're an experienced flyer you'll have a blast almost immediately. The stability of the video image is astounding and the range of the P3 is fantastic.

^ What he said!!

Great reply... !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31