Newbie about to buy - general advice please

Reaction score
Hello

Just after some opinions please and some valued advice.

For months now I've been saving up and slowly but surely getting enough funds to invest in my first DJI Phantom.

I have already bought the new GoPro in preparation and have been getting used to the controls and settings for that. I am looking to buy the Phantom 2 H33D

My main questions are:
When I buy the Phantom, will I be able to use my GoPro and a tablet (or phone) as FPV straight out of the box or do I need some kind of video down link add on?

Is it essential that I buy a range externder?

Should I buy a dedicated monitor and add on the iosd?

Is an extra battery essential?

What about a car charger / fast charger?

Any tips / advice / guidelines would be greatly welcomed

Thanks!

Welcome to the fun
Make sure when you order get the newer P2 has better ESC's , motors & controller .
No you can not use phone or tablet because they work on 2.4 same as your controller .
I use immersion transmitters for FPV but their are a few different transmitters to choose from 5.8 is what your looking for .
Yes I would add a OSD I like the mini .
Yes you will need monitor for OSD
Never fly with your Wifi on cam.
GL!

I could be wrong and I am certain that I will be corrected (please?), but I'll try to hit some of your questions. But first, where are you located?

Do not use the WiFi on the Hero4 while flying it on your Phantom 2. Both are on the 2.4 GHz band and will greatly reduce the range of both control and FPV.
Do not buy the Range Extender, for the same reason. That combination is for the Phantom Vision where the R/C control is over the 5GHz band.

You will be best served with the combination recommended by ddublu: "The Black Pearl monitor is a very popular option for FPV. It mounts on top of your transmitter. The ImmersionRC 600 is also a great option for the video to the Black Pearl." You can find lower-cost transmitters and receivers, but the transmitter will likely be lower power and the monitor could be lower resolution. You really get what you pay for here. Also, get some decent antennas, like these: http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=77&product_id=106.

Extra batteries, chargers - it really depends on how you want to fly. Do you want to spend a few hours flying or do you have specific missions in mind, like real estate videos?
Fast charger? I've never seen one for the DJI Smart battery, and I wouldn't trust one that wasn't from DJI.

Thanks Guys. It all helps.

I'm living in the UK.

I'd like to do decent length videos so I expect a couple of batteries for each planned mission would be the case.

Cheers again.

Welcome to the forum, I personally like the Flytrex " Black Mambs, transmitter it has 2000 mgh
And you can go greater distances.

richmix said:
I'm living in the UK..

i'm in Manchester, where are you

horne47789 said:
Hi Richmix. You'll find a lot of Phantom specific review material for the UK on this site:

http://rcqanda.com/?page_id=17

It will probably answer a lot of your initial questions.

Good luck - they're great fun :)

Damian.
Not to be a troll but only 3 DJI your missing about 5 if you count updated Versions.
1 gimbal
Hope that's work in progress ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav