Newbe Video Question

Reaction score
I am very new to the drone arena. Just got a Phantom 2 for Christmas. Wondering what equipment I need to be able to view live video from the drone (GoPro Hero 3) to a smart phone/tablet.

Thanks in advance. So far I have only crashed twice! :)

John Emmett

I am very new to the drone arena. Just got a Phantom 2 for Christmas. Wondering what equipment I need to be able to view live video from the drone (GoPro Hero 3) to a smart phone/tablet.

Thanks in advance. So far I have only crashed twice! :)

John Emmett

Well John if it truly a phantom 2 non vision smart phone/tablets are out as they operate on the same 2.4GHz frequencies as the P2. For a FPV (first person view) you'll need a gimbal, GoPro camera, video transmitter, mini iOSD for the P2 and a monitor/receiver to view what the camera is recording. Cost for all the equipment can run between $700 - $1000 depending on how much you buy on the used market. These prices are high but I'm assuming the P2 you have is a barebones unit.

Well John if it truly a phantom 2 non vision smart phone/tablets are out as they operate on the same 2.4GHz frequencies as the P2. For a FPV (first person view) you'll need a gimbal, GoPro camera, video transmitter, mini iOSD for the P2 and a monitor/receiver to view what the camera is recording. Cost for all the equipment can run between $700 - $1000 depending on how much you buy on the used market. These prices are high but I'm assuming the P2 you have is a barebones unit.
Thank you, Jason. I already have a GoPro and the gimbal. My original thought was to use the WiFi from the GoPro, but I am finding that isn't an option. I will research the FPV system that will work for me.

Don't use the WiFi on the GoPro because the phantom and your Gopro use the same frequency so your Gopro will mess up the signal that the phantom is sending out to its satellites and the transmitter and you could risk loosing your new phantom!

Thank you, Jason. I already have a GoPro and the gimbal. My original thought was to use the WiFi from the GoPro, but I am finding that isn't an option. I will research the FPV system that will work for me.

Since you already have the camera and gimbal the rest of the equipment will run you $383 or less depending on manufacture and bargains you find. What I am using is listed in red should give some idea of what to look for. Some of the brands most of us use are bocam, immersion and flysight.

Don't use the WiFi on the GoPro because the phantom and your Gopro use the same frequency so your Gopro will mess up the signal that the phantom is sending out to its satellites and the transmitter and you could risk loosing your new phantom!
Thanks so much for the info, Ethan. Now to find the right FPV system. Lots of research to do.

John Emmett

Black pearl fpv is probably the best system. Although it's a bit pricey

just got all the stuff and commented on the stuff i bought..iosd mini dosnt work,etc etc..just send it back and get a vision plus or something that is newer..MOST to ALL the newer drones have fpv.. period!

DONT waste your money, by the time i get done with a quality fpv i could have just bought an already fpv ready drone for bout $500 less then what i have into my P2. Some even have FOLLOW YOU mode..

Returning the drone isn't an option. It was a Christmas gift. Thanks anyway

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
mmmmm..bummer...u should look at ALL your options and prices for the same thing u are trying to achieve..and also think of the future of drones and fpv...my biggest fear with phantom is that once i get it all set up, there is still that chance that it could just go rouge and FLY AWAY...great feeling when i am trying to just play around with my RCs, to loose one...

just got all the stuff and commented on the stuff i bought..iosd mini dosnt work,etc etc..just send it back and get a vision plus or something that is newer..MOST to ALL the newer drones have fpv.. period!

Not getting the equipment to work was your problem but not everyone has more thumbs then fingers.

Not getting the equipment to work was your problem but not everyone has more thumbs then fingers.

no need to be pointing your thumbs, seems my questions and concerns about the system i bought are valid..and seeins that no one here had any answers, dont think it boils down to the system not working, more so the system is not very durable or the quality of it was never tested. either way there are alot of the same concerns that i have..

As for John being a new droner, he and all the others getting into drones, the main thing is FPV, people want FPV, peroid. and when they buy a drone, most newer/average hobbiest dont want to mess with open computer boards and micro wires that make a model look like it could launch the space shuttle. As for the phantom2, dji needs to make VERY CLEAR to all, that this will NOT work with a gopro/wifi/phone or tablet, because obviously after years of being on the market there are people who still expect FPV out of the box from the P2, then finding out later that another $500 will get them fpv.
As i look at an AD at the bottom of this page for a P3 ADV 1080P for $999, purchasing a regular P2 seems, well, you know..
As there are systems that will produce fpv for the P1s and P2s these systems can be spendy, So for a person who dosent necessarily want to mess around with batteries, open computer boards, and micro wires, just want to go out and hit the on switch,, welp, a newer drone with all the fixins built in, is the ONLY way to go.

and if any one thinks that any different, keep on wasting your money on the p2 and FPV systems. Personally, i dont have money to just throw away!
this comment is not for the dude who can build their own drone and are WAY deeper into the hobby then most..more towards the newbie/average family man with a budget guy.

no need to be pointing your thumbs, seems my questions and concerns about the system i bought are valid..and seeins that no one here had any answers, dont think it boils down to the system not working, more so the system is not very durable or the quality of it was never tested. either way there are alot of the same concerns that i have..

As for John being a new droner, he and all the others getting into drones, the main thing is FPV, people want FPV, peroid. and when they buy a drone, most newer/average hobbiest dont want to mess with open computer boards and micro wires that make a model look like it could launch the space shuttle. As for the phantom2, dji needs to make VERY CLEAR to all, that this will NOT work with a gopro/wifi/phone or tablet, because obviously after years of being on the market there are people who still expect FPV out of the box from the P2, then finding out later that another $500 will get them fpv.
As i look at an AD at the bottom of this page for a P3 ADV 1080P for $999, purchasing a regular P2 seems, well, you know..
As there are systems that will produce fpv for the P1s and P2s these systems can be spendy, So for a person who dosent necessarily want to mess around with batteries, open computer boards, and micro wires, just want to go out and hit the on switch,, welp, a newer drone with all the fixins built in, is the ONLY way to go.

and if any one thinks that any different, keep on wasting your money on the p2 and FPV systems. Personally, i dont have money to just throw away!
this comment is not for the dude who can build their own drone and are WAY deeper into the hobby then most..more towards the newbie/average family man with a budget guy.

No ones pointing thumbs but you seem to have more than your share of them. Since you seem to lack any sort of electronics knowledge then maybe you should have bought a P2 vision+ or a P3 instead of the basic P2. Don't sit there and blame the equipment because it isn't working for you or because it requires an understanding of how to make it works. When I purchased mine back in March 2014 I knew what was need to put it all together and the DJI user's manual had the needed info for those that needed help in wiring up the various FPV equipment.

No ones pointing thumbs but you seem to have more than your share of them. Since you seem to lack any sort of electronics knowledge then maybe you should have bought a P2 vision+ or a P3 instead of the basic P2. Don't sit there and blame the equipment because it isn't working for you or because it requires an understanding of how to make it works. When I purchased mine back in March 2014 I knew what was need to put it all together and the DJI user's manual had the needed info for those that needed help in wiring up the various FPV equipment.

TU-SHAY dude..so after testing the voltage to/from the plug and play hub and talking with someone who had answers instead of insults, it was, after all, the hub (equipment) that failed, and not lack off or smarts on how to plug a connector into its receiver..all though i admit not having a complete knowledge of ALL the electronics in the phantoms or any advanced drone, this is not the reason for the many questions of fpv systems malfunctioning (grey screen, no flight data, TX getting hot, iosd mini getting hot, etc) this is more of a quality issue.
that being said, instead of making assumptions that the person on the other end of the post is as advanced and has the "electronic knowledge" of custom drone builders or electronic geniuses, start with the assumption that this is a guy who just wants to play and not fix and fiddle and fk around with something that should just work. a guy who does want to spend hours tryin to figure out why the $600 system doesnt work..although some of you will disagree because they like fixing things that should work when purchased, is why you hobby on..not me,

hope this site helps others, personally this site was useless to me as the people here seem to look down on folks with less knowledge then an veteran drone owner.
so sorry for even signing up for or bothering, seems you guys have some electronics to order and fix..late!

TU-SHAY dude..so after testing the voltage to/from the plug and play hub and talking with someone who had answers instead of insults, it was, after all, the hub (equipment) that failed, and not lack off or smarts on how to plug a connector into its receiver..all though i admit not having a complete knowledge of ALL the electronics in the phantoms or any advanced drone, this is not the reason for the many questions of fpv systems malfunctioning (grey screen, no flight data, TX getting hot, iosd mini getting hot, etc) this is more of a quality issue.
that being said, instead of making assumptions that the person on the other end of the post is as advanced and has the "electronic knowledge" of custom drone builders or electronic geniuses, start with the assumption that this is a guy who just wants to play and not fix and fiddle and fk around with something that should just work. a guy who does want to spend hours tryin to figure out why the $600 system doesnt work..although some of you will disagree because they like fixing things that should work when purchased, is why you hobby on..not me,

hope this site helps others, personally this site was useless to me as the people here seem to look down on folks with less knowledge then an veteran drone owner.
so sorry for even signing up for or bothering, seems you guys have some electronics to order and fix..late!

To my knowledge you never asked for any help here but instead made a comment towards the OP not to waste his money. Instead of asking for help all you have done is complain.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl