New Years fireworks- anyone filming this year?

Reaction score
I know that nighttime flight is frowned upon and against the guidelines. But as you know people are going to be people and do what they want. I just hope that is done safely.
Have never done any night flying. And I surely have never tried to film fireworks. Any thoughts on the best camera settings should this be attempted. I saw a few threads on similar topics such as this. One was using the vision as opposed to the professional. Anyone have any thoughts on this

My thoughts are, I am gonna sit back, drink some beer, and watch the fireworks on my TV. I don't fly at night. I can't see it, I don't fly it. But.....I bet it would look cool from above...

Be sure to have your FAA number and ID with you. If the FAA is going to put teeth into their new regulations, this is a likely time to do it. I don't know what they can do, but we will surely find out. Don't forget, the President pushed these regulations through, so this increases the likelihood of some kind of enforcement.

I think it's hilarious to think the FAA would be out looking for drones on New Years Eve. Do you folks know how many people the FAA employs? Don't even say well the local PD. HAHAHA! Local departments don't have the time, resources or authority to do anything unless you do something really stupid... I would be willing to bet that 95% of the local PD's could care less about drones.

I may fly the bird. I'm headed up to the cabin at Lake Tahoe. I won't say where but I'll have fireworks roaring from 3 different areas in front of me :) Clear skies to boot!

..downside is it'll be 5-10 degrees out. A bit cold. Maybe too cold..we'll see. Batteries are charged :)

Be sure to have your FAA number and ID with you. If the FAA is going to put teeth into their new regulations, this is a likely time to do it. I don't know what they can do, but we will surely find out. Don't forget, the President pushed these regulations through, so this increases the likelihood of some kind of enforcement.
My bet is most owners bought their drone before December 21st so are not required to have a registration at this time.

Also, please link this law everyone keeps bring up about not flying at night. I'd really like to see it. And how did the President "push this through", this is the first I heard the Prez was involved.

My thoughts are, I am gonna sit back, drink some beer, and watch the fireworks on my TV. I don't fly at night. I can't see it, I don't fly it. But.....I bet it would look cool from above...
This doesn't make much sense to me. It is more visible at night then ever. And small plane traffic, the big "danger", is almost non-existent and night and easier to see anyway. Add that planes are NOT going to be flying anywhere near fireworks...

Last edited:
Reactions: aka1ceman
Because when you are up in the BLACK sky at night, 200 feet or so you can't see it. I want total visual contact with my drone.

I think it's hilarious to think the FAA would be out looking for drones on New Years Eve. Do you folks know how many people the FAA employs? Don't even say well the local PD. HAHAHA! Local departments don't have the time, resources or authority to do anything unless you do something really stupid... I would be willing to bet that 95% of the local PD's could care less about drones.

This is the best and most accurate comment so far..mojo..
Very true, but these people who post ridiculous comments about something, just show they are glass half empty kind of people. Not to mention the tension these negative people have is above and beyond normal people. I'm thinking a section should be made just for people who bash others on here and just call it, say what you want and show your true colors. Most of us buy drones to have fun with them, then come on here for a little guidance and get such negative comments and bashed. I' m sorry I am not as good as some of you. But just remember you were clueless and lost on day one also. Give newbies a break.

This is such a foolish answer. It isn't the FAA that is going to be out looking for people, it is your local police department. They will be GLAD to help!

..and no. I won't be flying. Too bad too because the camera control this thing offers would have been great!

Because when you are up in the BLACK sky at night, 200 feet or so you can't see it. I want total visual contact with my drone.
I must have got a different model then yours, because mine came with red and green LEDs that blink and really make it stand out in the dark. And the BLACK'er the night the easier it is to see.

Last edited:
Local PDs could care less about drones. (Fact) If a complaint isn't received why waste the time. It's covered by federal law not state or local unless that jurisdiction has adopted the code to run parallel with a local ordinance. True if you were cruising the White House or Macy's day parade, then yes it is an issue. But you can't fix stupid..not even with duct tape. There is a few in every crowd or group.
Hey, Here's is crazy bizarre idea...fly your drone responsible, don't cause problems and obey the guidelines set forth by the FAA or if someone with the authority ask you to move along, then move along. Otherwise enjoy your self..life is too short.

This is such a foolish answer. It isn't the FAA that is going to be out looking for people, it is your local police department. They will be GLAD to help!

..and no. I won't be flying. Too bad too because the camera control this thing offers would have been great!
You said his post is foolish, then repeat his point that its not the FAA who is going to come get you? And his point that the local PDs have bigger fish to fry is accurate. Most PDs are overworked as it is, especially on New Years Eve. They will respond to complaints (maybe) but are certainly NOT going to be actively looking for drone operators.

Reactions: Dirby

look I won't get into name calling but I will tell you they don't care. The locals don't. They have bigger worries. We don't care either. I wont be flying for one reason "skill" I have 4 flights under my belt. Proceed with your name calling.

....... They will respond to complaints (maybe) but are certainly NOT going to be actively looking for drone operators.
...like responding to ignorant drunkards firing guns into the sky to celebrate.

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
Again hilarious. Much larger problems than the few individuals that will choose to fly. The police force here will have plenty to do with the fighting, drunks, accidents etc.

Sure some idiot will fly their aircraft at 2000 feet and crash into a crowd of people somewhere in the world. It will be posted a million times here. BFD... Fly responsibly and within the law and you won't have a problem.

You said his post is foolish, then repeat his point that its not the FAA who is going to come get you? And his point that the local PDs have bigger fish to fry is accurate. Most PDs are overworked as it is, especially on New Years Eve. They will respond to complaints (maybe) but are certainly NOT going to be actively looking for drone operators.
No. His point was that NO ONE is going to come get you....

If you can't see those flashing green & reds at 200ft out then you probably need some optical help. I can see them at well over 1000ft & beyond and I wear specs

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik