New version of "google play services"

Dronason

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Having lag etc... on android device, I have in the past downgraded as advised by many the "google play services" on my tab (ACER Iconia One 8 (B1-820), cheap tab I agree). It was not too bad a the end including up to 1.3.20, but backlight cannot be set high in sun, balance readable display and crash/lag was the issue. So from in a car or in shadow of a tree, it was possible to manage it in a not too bad, but for sure not as expected.
I of coarse upgraded to the latest version 1.4.10 (hope to get reconnect/lag etc.. solved).
In several threads I get notice of possibility to upgrade instead of uninstalling any update, sounds much more positive as I get in the mean time better tab and phone that I don't want to fully dedicate to my Phantoms. I upgraded manually with success the "google play services" to version 8.1.13 (the latest one that was available to me for device type 236 (Samsung tab s 8.4), 8.1.14 was existing but not available for my tab) but I was only able to do a short test on it, with success I would say, no drop, no hang.
Next day I wanted to check the status of version for my various tabs/phone and list their current version to see the one that need/can upgrade but I noticed that in the mean time, all where at 8.1.14.
There was rain today, so no flight. I tried all my tabs that got "google play services" 8.1.14 and left it connected to by PH3P for some time. All stay connected, I can always reconnected without strange issue, at my surprise. Response to stick (just for test, rotate left/right generate a temporary change on the camera) was good even if bird was not flying. No disconnect other time. Ok, it is not a full real test, but it was so much better than what I had in same condition in the past for such testing.
- Did anybody get the upgrade of "google play services" to 8.1.14?
- Did anybody observe too an improvement in the operation of Go app with this upgrade?
I will for sure try again in real flight in the next days as soon weather improve.

If you look at the app page on Play store there's a lot of complaints about another recent update.
The problem with allowing it again is they are always forcing updates which could have unpredictable effects as we know already.
When that might mean crashing your DJI app and possibly losing the phantom it's no joke.

If you look at the app page on Play store there's a lot of complaints about another recent update.
The problem with allowing it again is they are always forcing updates which could have unpredictable effects as we know already.
When that might mean crashing your DJI app and possibly losing the phantom it's no joke.
Thanks for the advise. Yes, you are right, a lot of people complains apparently for standard use of their phone. As with anything new, you never know what will happen after an update and it need testing, that's what I am currently doing.
Maybe the devices I check were mostly with android 5 lolipop (apart a Samsung S3 & Asus transformer where they are mainly used not with the GO app).
I was unhappy with previous downgrade way as it works on dedicated tabs where you can disable a maximum of apps but it cannot apply to a device that is also used for general purpose.
With the current "upgrade" from September 11, I didn't have any issue with the tab/phone itself. In the past I had to deal with the annoying pop-up message that "google play service fail" etc... and it was a killer as more or less you reinstall it.

So the question remains if anybody notice an improvement with the GO app or not with that upgrade?

In the past for me, leaving the bird connected to RC & tab for 30 minutes and resting always result in a disconnect with no 100% efficient method how to reconnect. It was always possible to reconnect finally in a way or another but I there was no clear path how to do it.
Now it sounds to me much better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers