New V2+ arrived, but GPS appears DOA :-(

Reaction score
Hi all. New pilot/forum member here...unfortunately posting first time under bad circumstances. I guess I am just looking for someone to confirm my fears/suspicion that the GPS is likely DOA. I've been reading posts on issues with GPS lock and I cannot find anyone having issues like this until after some crash or other catastrophe; For me that was not the case it has not even flown yet :-(.
So it arrived on Monday but due to wind/weather/work I could not give it a whirl until yesterday (saturday) and I had everything charged and ready to go. The unit starts fine, app connnects fine, video works, camera up/down pan works...everything is A-OK...except 'zero satellites' come up on the app no matter how long I wait. It flashes the slow yellows (readay to fly/No GPS) so I know I could fly without but 'zero satellites' seems to point to an obvious GPS receiver failure. I'm in a rural area with a 10 arce field behind my residence that is essentially free of trees, etc. I've let it sit for nearly a half hour with no change, I've recalibrated the compass (which suceeds fine) but still no GPS change. The icon is always 'greyed' in the app with '0' satellites.
I'm not going to open it up as it arrived this way and I bought direct from DJI website (no dealer). Last thing I want to do is invalidate the warranty as it appears this is going to be an RMA. Just wondering if anyone else had theirs arrive this way, I can only see people having issues in the posts after a crash as I mentioned so this seems unusual.

Thanks all!

-uhprentis-

You might want to open it just to make sure the GPS connector is actually connected and fully seated. Just had a guy with a motor not working and sure enough the connector wasn't tight. Check it out may save yourself some aggravation and wait.

Yea I hear you...I guess I should get some nerve up and take a look. So I've watched a couple videos on opening up and the GPS location etc. I suppose I can at least confirm it's plugged into the NAZA unit. I'm just a bit nervous about actually detaching the receiver from the lid, it looks like something I could mess up. I know I saw in the vids that the compass connects into the GPS reciever under the lid too (sidenote: the compass reads actual info in the software assistant so I guess it's not a total unit failure at least that portion of the GPS that it passes through is OK anyway). Is it difficult to reattach to the lid? It looks like it is taped on or something in the vids.

Thanks,
-uhprentis-

When you open the Phantom, the GPS is attached to the top. All the rest of the electronics are in the base. There is a connector connecting the GPS module to the Phantom. Hopefully its just not plugged in tightly. Check that connector, then trace the wire down to where it connects to the Phantom's innards. Make sure the wires are connected and fully seated.

You've got a good understanding for someone so new. Be confident because of that, take a breath, take photos as you open up the body (helps knowing you've recorded each stage) and follow the lead from the gps in the lid to the main board. If it's loose or disconnected, that's where it will be.

Thanks guys...looks like no joy for me on this one. Connection to mainboard looked good, I reseated it anyway. No change so far :-(. On a hunch I tried powering up without the GPS connected to the mainboard just to see how it would behave.
Funny enough no errors, it behaves exactly the same. Zero sats of course, but no 'hard errors' on the app or red lights, still slow yellow (i.e., 'ready to fly/no GPS').

Ah well, I'll wait till monday to call in I suppose...bleeeeh :-(.

-uhprentis-

As an aside/correction, I was wrong, the compass on the V2+ didn't run through the GPS receiver. I know I saw that in a video so I presumed it was that way, I guess it just must have been a previous phantom model (vid I saw could have been P1, P2, or P2V <shrugs>).

Find it also funny the location that 'Find my Phatom' answers back with is in the ocean off the coast of Lagos, South Africa.

1124k5y.jpg

So I guess it would probably be bad to have GPS start working mid flight;
Phantom says "OK, time to go home. Let's see and home is... <70's computer noises - 'beep' 'boop' 'Bop'> ...ooooh, Home is 'Lagos', sheesh that's far...well I better get going "

uhprentis said:
Hi all. New pilot/forum member here...unfortunately posting first time under bad circumstances. I guess I am just looking for someone to confirm my fears/suspicion that the GPS is likely DOA. I've been reading posts on issues with GPS lock and I cannot find anyone having issues like this until after some crash or other catastrophe; For me that was not the case it has not even flown yet :-(.
So it arrived on Monday but due to wind/weather/work I could not give it a whirl until yesterday (saturday) and I had everything charged and ready to go. The unit starts fine, app connnects fine, video works, camera up/down pan works...everything is A-OK...except 'zero satellites' come up on the app no matter how long I wait. It flashes the slow yellows (readay to fly/No GPS) so I know I could fly without but 'zero satellites' seems to point to an obvious GPS receiver failure. I'm in a rural area with a 10 arce field behind my residence that is essentially free of trees, etc. I've let it sit for nearly a half hour with no change, I've recalibrated the compass (which suceeds fine) but still no GPS change. The icon is always 'greyed' in the app with '0' satellites.
I'm not going to open it up as it arrived this way and I bought direct from DJI website (no dealer). Last thing I want to do is invalidate the warranty as it appears this is going to be an RMA. Just wondering if anyone else had theirs arrive this way, I can only see people having issues in the posts after a crash as I mentioned so this seems unusual.

Thanks all!

-uhprentis-

I have had the same problem on my older phantom. In my case it was the location that diet gave me any satellites. BUT when i took it up the air it found several satellites. I your case i would connected to you mac or pc and check that you gps coordination is right, and maybe take an advance calibration.

Sorry to hear about your problem

regards
Bjorn

So quick update...DJI is not very good at customer service. More to follow, suffice to say things did not go smoothly and I am now awaiting a refund to actually get applied to my credit card (not what I asked for, I asked to have the unit replaced) so that I can repurchase 'again'...but THIS TIME...from a dealer. I strongly suggest one does not buy direct from DJI. If you need something unusual...like say to have your unit replaced...well they don't do that apparently. It seems they have two options...it's either repair the unit (4 week waiting list for repairs at the moment) or return outright...they have no option to 'replace' for a new unit...even though they freely admit that any dealer would do that in a pinch. All that said, the major problem is on the other side of the ocean, the North American support was impeccable...they just didn't have any option (as I explained) to actually help and emails to the Hong Kong team were consistently misunderstood (albeit, with 24 hours between each response due to time zone, yada yada) which made things extremely aggravating.

So uh...assuming the credit eventually reaches my card...anyone have suggestions for a good dealer (likewise, assuming I haven't decided to give up by then)?

uhprentis said:
So quick update...DJI is not very good at customer service. More to follow, suffice to say things did not go smoothly and I am now awaiting a refund to actually get applied to my credit card (not what I asked for, I asked to have the unit replaced) so that I can repurchase 'again'...but THIS TIME...from a dealer. I strongly suggest one does not buy direct from DJI. If you need something unusual...like say to have your unit replaced...well they don't do that apparently. It seems they have two options...it's either repair the unit (4 week waiting list for repairs at the moment) or return outright...they have no option to 'replace' for a new unit...even though they freely admit that any dealer would do that in a pinch. All that said, the major problem is on the other side of the ocean, the North American support was impeccable...they just didn't have any option (as I explained) to actually help and emails to the Hong Kong team were consistently misunderstood (albeit, with 24 hours between each response due to time zone, yada yada) which made things extremely aggravating.

So uh...assuming the credit eventually reaches my card...anyone have suggestions for a good dealer (likewise, assuming I haven't decided to give up by then)?
Interesting, they replaced mine. I just got it back today. But I had to call their HQ in Hong Kong to get anything done. The Online Sales support actually told me just the opposite... They said that they aren't doing any repairs on the Vision+ right now because it's so new and the only thing they could do was replace it. Apparently that's changed since they told me this 3 weeks ago.

Thanks everyone!
Yea, it's a case of right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing I'm sure. In any case credit made it to card today. I'm hyped to give Dave's Discount motors a shot, they sound really great in that thread you sent (Thanks!). Calling them right after I finish this to check on stock.

:)

I got mine from Dave's and they are a top notch dealer, very responsive and quick to ship when in stock....highly recommend them .... Don't forget to use the discount code and save 69 bucks...

John

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20