New User

Reaction score
Hey guys, Dan from Williamsburg VA. here. Did my own Christmas shopping, bought a P3 Standard + extra battery, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7. Three weeks till unboxing I guess, so time to listen and learn..

I'm sure many questions will pop up in the next few months, so when they do, I'll drop them in here.

Thanks

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

I'm also a new owner of a P3S today. Cannot wait to try it out this weekend.

yeah, thanks. awesome forum (takes some getting used to) (kinda like flying, editing, and whatnot, will likely take some getting used to..) lol

have a great flight! post a vid if able.

You bought a P3S? Nice!

Reactions: dirkclod
I did. Finally... :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Hey guys, Dan from Williamsburg VA. here. Did my own Christmas shopping, bought a P3 Standard + extra battery, and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7. Three weeks till unboxing I guess, so time to listen and learn..

I'm sure many questions will pop up in the next few months, so when they do, I'll drop them in here.

Thanks
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Dan. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

First UAV Dan? You will enjoy the P3S a lot as it is a great quad. I myself have one in my "hangar". ;)

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Dan. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

First UAV Dan? You will enjoy the P3S a lot as it is a great quad. I myself have one in my "hangar". ;)

Yes, first RC or UAV of any kind. Lots of things to learn, and experience. ;-)

What site do ya'll use for accessing accurate 'no fly' areas? (is there such a site?)
(I live near airports, military bases, and national parks)

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Yes, first RC or UAV of any kind. Lots of things to learn, and experience. ;-)

What site do ya'll use for accessing accurate 'no fly' areas? (is there such a site?)
(I live near airports, military bases, and national parks)
Check out these sites for some references.

Don't Fly Drones Here

AirMap.io

Don't fly over the Parkway. Or Jamestown. Stay away from the military sites. Definitely don't go near Camp Peary.

The York River tends to be very windy as does the James, at times. But you should be able to find some open space (with interesting views) to the west and southwest. And if you are will to travel a bit, Virginia Beach is interesting to fly over. And the Lynnhaven Inlet. And Smithfield has some interesting places.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
Check out these sites for some references.

Don't Fly Drones Here

AirMap.io

Don't fly over the Parkway. Or Jamestown. Stay away from the military sites. Definitely don't go near Camp Peary.

The York River tends to be very windy as does the James, at times. But you should be able to find some open space (with interesting views) to the west and southwest. And if you are will to travel a bit, Virginia Beach is interesting to fly over. And the Lynnhaven Inlet. And Smithfield has some interesting places.

thanks, good info. what about that small private Williamsburg airport? (my house in inside the five mile radius)

and I think there is an RC club which flies at some city park on route 5. and I'm hoping York River State Park is a good to go...

By the rules, you are supposed to stay 5 miles away (or contact the tower for permission). Maybe there are times that they experience lulls in the traffic. My personal feeling is that for small airfields like that, 5 miles is excessive. But that's what the rules say currently.

As far as I know, the State Parks do not (yet) have restrictions. Just be careful on the river side of the park. Check the winds.

at what wind speed do you become concerned?

I saw a guy flying one near the peak of some mountain, and the winds were howling.

It can fly in 30 mph winds. And it will still handle well in 20 mph winds.

But as a new user, you might want to stay below 15 mph for a while.

Dan - good to see you onboard. I'm also in the WJCC area. The county allows quad flights at three of their parks - Upper County park in the Toano area, the Chickahominy park off Rt 5, and the Kids-burg area. WISC is off limits when the kids are playing soccer and baseball - obviously.

Scott

Dan - good to see you onboard. I'm also in the WJCC area. The county allows quad flights at three of their parks - Upper County park in the Toano area, the Chickahominy park off Rt 5, and the Kids-burg area. WISC is off limits when the kids are playing soccer and baseball - obviously.

Scott

Thank you very much. I've already planned on needing to drive... but it should be nice regardless. Tough area though ;-(

map2_zpsn82xdbxe.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair