New user pilot error

Reaction score
As a new pilot I am am having problems getting consistant flights. I am sure I am doing something wrong but what? One flight will go great. Nice hover, left and right, up and down, good control. Next flight a few hours later Phantom will just tip over on takeoff or jump 20 feet into the sky and takeoff on its own tour, not much control. Very light wind. I reset the compass, it flew OK then next time erratic. There is snow here so could it be the compass connector got wet?

It just takes time and experience. (I'm still learning as well, crashed into a tree and damaged my Phantom real bad last night)

you'll def want to fly in GPS mode to get the hang of things, practice going up, down, ..etc (zooming 20ft is def extreme!)
then gradually try switching to ATTI in-flight. (and avoid playing around with IOC until you've gotten the hang of the other modes)

Are you getting a solid slow green blink prior to takeoff? (that indicates a solid GPS signal)

If you're seeing multiple fast green blinks, that indicates gyro needs calibration, you'll want to connect the Phantom to your computer and run some basic or advanced calibration. (it's pretty easy)

Gizmo3000 said:
It just takes time and experience. (I'm still learning as well, crashed into a tree and damaged my Phantom real bad last night)

you'll def want to fly in GPS mode to get the hang of things, practice going up, down, ..etc (zooming 20ft is def extreme!)
then gradually try switching to ATTI in-flight. (and avoid playing around with IOC until you've gotten the hang of the other modes)

Are you getting a solid slow green blink prior to takeoff? (that indicates a solid GPS signal)

If you're seeing multiple fast green blinks, that indicates gyro needs calibration, you'll want to connect the Phantom to your computer and run some basic or advanced calibration. (it's pretty easy)

But how do you calibrate it? I am a beginner also and have Mulit green flashes out of the box, go and fly, will hover, then will start moving, and move further and faster, so not really sitting still, and sometimes I land and before the motors have stopped will tip over, so not impressed, and it maybe easy for you guys to calibrate the gyros, but from a new guy view what do you do?

I do notice that the Phantom does not like being moved even when you do get the single flashing green light, which I actually had this morning, pick it up and goes to multi green, and stays that way.

denodan said:
But how do you calibrate it? I am a beginner also and have Mulit green flashes out of the box, go and fly, will hover, then will start moving, and move further and faster, so not really sitting still, and sometimes I land and before the motors have stopped will tip over, so not impressed, and it maybe easy for you guys to calibrate the gyros, but from a new guy view what do you do?

Also the USB cable is useless, far to short to plug into your PC. Looks like the only way is to get a USB adapter, or something.

I was a newbie like you just a month ago as well. (as are many of us who are new to this fun new hobby)
Just read all the posts here and you can learn a lot.
and do read the manuals a few times!

Here's what all the lights mean (scroll down on this page)
http://www.helipal.com/dji-phantom-gps-drone-rtf.html

If you're getting a fast green blink, sounds like you need to calibrate your gyro's.
go to the dji website and download the NAZA software and driver. (hopefully you have access to a PC).

your phantom should have come with an included USB extension cable.

power up the phantom, let it warm up,. connect to the PC, and run the NAZA software.
hopefully it'll all connect just fine and you can check things out.
in the Tools section you can find the basic and advanced calibration. just merely hit the buttons to test or calibrate and you should be good to go!

here's a thread where i inquired about it
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=101#p449

Gizmo3000 said:
denodan said:

Also the USB cable is useless, far to short to plug into your PC. Looks like the only way is to get a USB adapter, or something.

I was a newbie like you just a month ago as well. (as are many of us who are new to this fun new hobby)

My computer fails to install the Driver

If you're getting a fast green blink, sounds like you need to calibrate your gyro's.
go to the dji website and download the NAZA software and driver. (hopefully you have access to a PC).

power up the phantom, let it warm up,. connect to the PC, and run the NAZA software.
in the Tools section you can find the basic and advanced calibration. just merely hit the buttons to test or calibrate and you should be good to go!

Gizmo3000 said:
denodan said:

denodan said:
My computer fails to install the Driver

Now you're getting into the "no fun zone" :(

I believe a few other people have reported being unable to install the driver and get the software going.
troubleshooting can be a hassle, but there could be any number of factors causing your woe's.
to get going, see if you can get it all running on another computer.
(I got mine going on a Mac using Parallels running a fresh install of Windows7)

Now what, seems the driver works, start up, let phantom warm up, plug usb cable, go to Naza assist, nothing, no info on screen, go to advance, basic cal blanked out, go to advanced, go to calibrate, comes up with message to keep still for 10 mins message, and nothing, no message the cal has been done, no status, etc. Is this software accually working?

seems to me the Naza assist does not work at all. All I get down below is MC output on, and software is not working. Tried all S/N encase I need them, fails to work, keeps saying invaild S/N.

How you do you guys get this software to run in the first place? did as Quick Naza manual says, still no joy.

Gizmo3000 said:
denodan said:

Well mine is a dead paper weight, with not able to get the software going, an expensive mistake, if It won't go, may have to bin it.

Read others with the same problem, these things don't fly well at all out of the box it seems.

From what I have read about the MC mode on, it's not good, simple answer if I cannot access the Naza assist, then I cannot do nothing, so an expensive rubbish bin job, it's a paper weight.

Have emailed UAV products to get another Phantom, I just cannot do anything with this one, may have to send it back, what a hassle as I live in New Zealand.

MC mode on effectively locks you out of Nasa assist, and if you cannot bypass it, there is no way you can do anything, only throw your expensive mistake in the rubbish bin.

i will try another computer, when I can, but don't like the odds of that even working.

denodan said:
Now what, seems the driver works, start up, let phantom warm up, plug usb cable, go to Naza assist, nothing, no info on screen, go to advance, basic cal blanked out, go to advanced, go to calibrate, comes up with message to keep still for 10 mins message, and nothing, no message the cal has been done, no status, etc. Is this software accually working?

seems to me the Naza assist does not work at all. All I get down below is MC output on, and software is not working. Tried all S/N encase I need them, fails to work, keeps saying invaild S/N.

How you do you guys get this software to run in the first place? did as Quick Naza manual says, still no joy.

I can only imagine how frustrating it might be.
the invalid S/N thing sounds like it might be an issue to consult DJI or your dealer about.
do any of the screens indicate that the Phantom is connected?
you can move the transmitter joysticks and switches to see if things change on the screen.

Gizmo3000 said:
denodan said:

the invalid S/N thing sounds like it might be an issue to consult DJI or your dealer about.
you can move the transmitter joysticks and switches to see if things change on the screen.

No nothing, just the message MC mode on, and does not matter if the Phantom is plugged in, or not, same message, so know it's not going, if you need the S/N for it to work, these fail also, tried them all and not one works.

denodan said:
Gizmo3000 said:
denodan said:

No nothing, just the message MC mode on, and does not matter if the Phantom is plugged in, or not, same message, so know it's not going, if you need the S/N for it to work, these fail also, tried them all and not one works.

I commiserate with you, I'm having similar problems, though it does fly perfectly in GPS mode only, but trying to connect to 5 different PCs just doesn't work. The message "MC Output On" Flashing in red means driver not installed, this is what my supplier told me. A very expensive faulty quad methinks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl