New User First Flight and I still got it!

Reaction score
Ok I had my first flight today and I did have some scary moments... Thought I was going to loose $1500 in about 2 minutes, but I managed to get it to return it hit my barn on the way down... battery popped out, I thought it was done for, but It didn't damage anything and It appears to be working fine. I've got a lot of questions, but I will start with two and see what response I get... Here we go...
1. How do I know if I am in the GPS mode? Is there any button I can push to automatically "return to home"? In the return to home mode, does the copter take the same route it took to get to its current position to get back home? Or does it do a straight line... if that is the case what about obstacles in the way.. ie trees, buildings, wires etc.
2. My video signal on my iphone seems always to "freeze" I can see the little access wheel going around, but it doesn't ever seem to get live. It starts out live... good color picture... then it freezes to a B&W image. The camera controls are visible and I can still use the pitch control to move the camera, I just can't see what I am shooting . HELP! :roll: :roll: :roll:

kpi Video said:
Ok I had my first flight today and I did have some scary moments... Thought I was going to loose $1500 in about 2 minutes, but I managed to get it to return it hit my barn on the way down... battery popped out, I thought it was done for, but It didn't damage anything and It appears to be working fine. I've got a lot of questions, but I will start with two and see what response I get... Here we go...
1. How do I know if I am in the GPS mode? Is there any button I can push to automatically "return to home"? In the return to home mode, does the copter take the same route it took to get to its current position to get back home? Or does it do a straight line... if that is the case what about obstacles in the way.. ie trees, buildings, wires etc.
2. My video signal on my iphone seems always to "freeze" I can see the little access wheel going around, but it doesn't ever seem to get live. It starts out live... good color picture... then it freezes to a B&W image. The camera controls are visible and I can still use the pitch control to move the camera, I just can't see what I am shooting . HELP! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ok, I really hate to be the one to tell you this, but you really need to read the manual. You're very lucky you didn't lose $1500. If you don't know how to determine if 'you're in GPS mode', then I can only assume you didn't bother to verify you had 6+ GPS lock before even launching your Phantom. I could easily spoon feed you the answers to the couple questions you asked but instead, I'm going to push you to read the manual, because there is clearly a lot more you need to learn before you fly again. i.e. compass calibration, RTH, NAZA vs. PHANTOM mode, etc...

First of all, congrats on you first flight! Sounds a lot scarier than mine and a little touch and go....lol

GPS mode is both the S1 and S2 switches in the uppermost position. If you're still in 'phantom' mode and if you go out of range, it will return to the home position that was automatically acquired when you first launched your bird. It will NOT take the same route you flew if it goes into RTH/failsafe mode. It will follow a straight line path back to home and might hit obstacles along the way if you haven't ascended to a high enough altitude.

Your last question about video signals I can't answer. I'm a newbie myself and haven't experienced those problems.

kpi Video said:
Ok I had my first flight today and I did have some scary moments... Thought I was going to loose $1500 in about 2 minutes, but I managed to get it to return it hit my barn on the way down... battery popped out, I thought it was done for, but It didn't damage anything and It appears to be working fine.

Congratulations!

I had beginner's luck too. Seems the fragile gimbal doesn't usually break until your third outing :D .

regarding your video.. if you're flying near your home wifi, ensure you 'FORGET' your home wifi in the wifi settings. It's possible that your iPhone is switching back to your known wifi... if that happened, you would lose your video signal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr