New UK laws explained for dummies

Reaction score
All Drones will become property of the registrar .(Government body you will be forced to register with by way of threat of punishment)
All current Drone owners will become keepers of the registrars property.
The registrar will have the power to enforce its policy (policie/ police) agents to seize the registrars property on their behalf if they suspect the keeper is breaking the terms of the deed of registration.
Once the registration document is signed, you are no longer the owner, you become the keeper.

These are "legal terms" written in legalese and can be translated from Blacks Law dictionary.

Keeper permission to keep the property of the registrar will be conditional on compulsory training.

This is basically the new legislation explained for dummies.
I do not expect most people to even begin to understand the legal implications of registration of your possessions to a third party, you like most will have no understanding of the legal implications of this.

It will work similar to your motor vehicle, break the terms of the registrars conditions and it can be seized back in to the registrars ownership.

A very big change to ownership of your drone.
You will be allowed to be the keeper (person trusted to hold registrars property) of the drone only if you abide by the terms of the deed of registration document.

All Drones will become property of the registrar .(Government body you will be forced to register with by way of threat of punishment)
The registrar will have the power to enforce its policy (policie/ police) agents to seize the registrars property on their behalf if they suspect the keeper is breaking the terms of the deed of registration.
Once the registration document is signed, you are no longer the owner, you become the keeper.

These are "legal terms" written in legalese and can be translated from Blacks Law dictionary.

Keeper permission to keep the property of the registrar will be conditional on compulsory training.

I do not expect most people to even begin to understand the legal implications of registration of your possessions to a third party, you like most will have no understanding of the legal implications of this.

It will work similar to your motor vehicle, break the terms of the registrars conditions and it can be seized back in to the registrars ownership.

You will be allowed to be the keeper (person trusted to hold registrars property) of the drone only if you abide by the terms of the deed of registration document.
An interesting take on the proposed new UK laws. As you say, the UK police already have powers to seize and sell/crush any motor vehicles which are on the road illegally. But currently vehicle ownership in legal use remains with a company or individual, who may or may not actually be the registered keeper. If what you say is correct, how then could you sell on a drone that you don't own?

Have you got any source for this drone law information?

Could you provide the non dummy explanation or perhaps a link to the bill? I suspect the interpretation may be a little off the intent.

Could you provide the non dummy explanation or perhaps a link to the bill? I suspect the interpretation may be a little off the intent.
There seems to be little information 'from the horse's mouth' about it yet Drone (Regulation) Bill 2017-19 — UK Parliament and, sorry, I am not prepared to subject myself to hours of dreary waffle listening to "Yesterday in Parliament' to obtain any.... :)

There's a bit on the intent here though... Drones update, 27 November 2017 - GOV.UK

Last edited:
Thank you- I don’t see anything that suggests ownership of all UAV will be transferred to the Crown..
No - neither do I, and removal of the concept of 'ownership' by the state during legal and proper use would defy belief (unless the government is going to buy your drone for you in the first place, of course... :))

It would also create all sorts of knock-on legal complications, just one of which I mentioned in post #2.

You will be required to register your drone.
This will be by signed deed.
You will receive a "keepers" certificate with set rules .
This will allow you to be the keeper.
Break any of the conditions and they will seize back the drone.

They can only seize registered property, for example they can not take your watch from your wrist or your shoes fro your feet as they are your property.
Once you enter your property in to registration, you enter that property in to trust law, they can set terms and conditions you are allowed to be the keeper.
They can simply decide you are no longer allowed to be keepers of any drone and seize them.

They will not buy anything, you will be given a deed contract to sign, once signed the drone is property of the registrar.

Condition of keepership can be changed and altered at any time.

I feel many will sell up once it hits home what is happening with Drones in the UK.

You will be required to register your drone.
This will be by signed deed.
You will receive a "keepers" certificate with set rules .
This will allow you to be the keeper.
Break any of the conditions and they will seize back the drone.

They can only seize registered property, for example they can not take your watch from your wrist or your shoes fro your feet as they are your property.
Once you enter your property in to registration, you enter that property in to trust law, they can set terms and conditions you are allowed to be the keeper.
They can simply decide you are no longer allowed to be keepers of any drone and seize them.

They will not buy anything, you will be given a deed contract to sign, once signed the drone is property of the registrar.

Condition of keepership can be changed and altered at any time.

I feel many will sell up once it hits home what is happening with Drones in the UK.
I ask again: Have you got any source for this drone law information?

So let me get this straight....

Sign the deed and they can take it away

Don't sign the deed and they can take it away.

Well..... I wont sign the bloody thing

There will be a penalty in law for not registering or not paying for the mandatory training which looks to be getting costed around £350.
There will be no exceptions from mandatory training including commercial license use.

There will be a penalty in law for not registering or not paying for the mandatory training which looks to be getting costed around £350.
There will be no exceptions from mandatory training including commercial license use.
Are you saying that those who have already obtained PfCO from the CAA at considerable cost, will be made to take another exam?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub