New UAV - competition coming?

That clearly wont be allowed any type of large crowds or events of anykind. But other then that....cool stuff!

How are these and similar offerings achieving collision avoidance as they follow you?

Might just be a minimum altitude setting or similar?

They are in pre-order for May 2015 delivery for $949. Hmm ... that's a long time to wait.
They won't be competing in the immediate future.

N017RW said:
How are these and similar offerings achieving collision avoidance as they follow you?
Might just be a minimum altitude setting or similar?

Since their website http://hexoplus.com/ has no mention of collision avoidance in the features section, it would seem they don't have anything at all.
What could possibly go wrong? .... apart from trees, other people, objects etc, etc

Yea, see the video following a jogger through a tree canopy above a sidewalk or such?

Riiiight!

I just saw an advertisement last week for a kick starter funded drone just like this. 'Dog' was in the name, but I don't remember exactly what it was called. You set your parameters with a small transmitter on a wristband, and it follows at that preset distance. Not sure about obstacle avoidance. The watch/controller was marketed as the 'leash' that you walked the somethin-somethin dog with. A cool concept if it will safely follow you. Great for skiing, biking, etc.

But speaking of other drones (and they're popping up everywhere), I really like the looks of the Tali H500, especially the optional black model. Looks very sci-fi and alien, and built in monitor on the radio.
http://www.walkera.com/en/showgoods.php?id=2616

GoodnNuff said:
I just saw an advertisement last week for a kick starter funded drone just like this. 'Dog' was in the name, but I don't remember exactly what it was called. You set your parameters with a small transmitter on a wristband, and it follows at that preset distance. Not sure about obstacle avoidance. The watch/controller was marketed as the 'leash' that you walked the somethin-somethin dog with. A cool concept if it will safely follow you. Great for skiing, biking, etc.

But speaking of other drones (and they're popping up everywhere), I really like the looks of the Tali H500, especially the optional black model. Looks very sci-fi and alien, and built in monitor on the radio.
http://www.walkera.com/en/showgoods.php?id=2616

Airdogs!

I saw this on kickstarter.
Pretty cool!. It better be well protected for bumps and crashes if it doesn't have avoidance.

I think the Parrot AR Bebop will be a competitor. Looks very rigid and only 700 grams.
It has a unique 180 FOV system that doesn't require a gimbal for stabilisation.
Essentially, it captures everything in the wide angle high mega pixel camera and then uses software to stabilise and "crop" the FPV to 720/1080p. The camera quality ain't too great with the demo/proto units.

I think this will be a holiday companion as everything is focused on portability and I think it be the new aerial "selfie flying camera". 10-12 minute flight time might be an issue..

If only DJI can make the phantom talk to our phones GPS (i'm sure it can as there is already 2 way coms). They could make it do follow me. It would be pretty dangerous if flown close though and I think GPS lag my cause accidents.

Some real competition is really coming from Align who are now taking orders for their M480 & M690.
They have also announced an entry level model following the release of M480L/M690L.
This "high performance, excellent wind resistance with great visibility" model will not have retracts, but will be competitively priced against current market offerings. they also say there will be even smaller/lighter models toward end of the year.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/align.multicopters/

Meta4 said:
Some real competition is really coming from Align who are now taking orders for their M480 & M690.
They have also announced an entry level model following the release of M480L/M690L.
This "high performance, excellent wind resistance with great visibility" model will not have retracts, but will be competitively priced against current market offerings. they also say there will be even smaller/lighter models toward end of the year.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/align.multicopters/

Agreed. Align! Been an Fanboi since my first CP heli and been waiting for the announcement.
I've said before that my P2 was my first & last DJI.

The Align is more like Pro-sumer level equipment.
This might convince me to pull back from a component build for my next quad.

Plus, from what I've read, Walkera does not have a much better customer service rep. than DJI.

So, it obviously has an algorithm that maintains a distance and location relative to the phone, right? Why wouldn't someone else incorporate that into their current UAV? Is this more likely a software thing or hardware thing?

To be clear... I was being sarcastic... but thanks none the less. :p

There is so much that really is just software tech... plug in the algorithm and you get what you want.

The AirDog is a pretty cool idea, and hardware based. I really looked into it. You set the altitude to film at and it will either stay stationary and yaw the copter and pitch the camera to "follow" the leash, or you can have it follow you from a preset compass point (like 270 degrees, etc).

It seems the Airdog will also be able to be used in a free flight mode.

Something tells me there will be the same GPS, flyaway, broken gimbal, etc etc as every other quad. These are complex flying machines with sensitive electronics. Selling them as robust, out of the box solutions is a dangerous path to take with consumers, as DJI found out with the P2V+.

I'd love to see DJI engineer collision avoidance, put in software for single motor/ESC loss (totally possible), improve the design for the gimbal/camera, and improve ease of antenna upgrade/performance.

Time will tell...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl