New Transmitter

Reaction score
If you hate retread topics, stop reading now.

I'm having a ton of fun with my P2/Zen 2axix/GoPro. Learning a lot. Now I'm looking toward future projects and deciding what I may need. No matter what quad (leaning towards a 550, but the I'm cheating on you Phantom thread shows there are tons of alternatives out there). But no matter which direction I go I'm going to need another transmitter. I'm one of those folks who actually has no issues with the stock DJI transmitter. Ok, the white color is kind of goofy, it's certainly not the most robust construction and the FPV lever leaves something to be desired. But that alone isn't going to drive me to spend a big chunk of change to replace it. A new build however will. So,what to get?

From what I've read, futaba Tx will bind to the P2 without adding in a Futaba Rx. That's a plus (although I've read many threads where people do replace the Tx for various reasons). So I'd i go the Futaba route, which model do I choose? The 14SG, the 8FG? I also see they come in airplane or Heli configurations. What's the difference? I was at my LHS this weekend and they really couldn't tell me which was better for Quad applications. The best I could get was that the Heli model has different switch configurations (throttle hold switch?) and does not have the "ratcheting" throttle lever.

Looking for experience/opinions. Also, I'm not hard over on Futaba, just seems to be the "standard". I also have helis and have a Spektrum DX6I which I'm perfectly happy with, problem is it's only 6 channels. If I had 8 or more channel spektrum I'd go with that and add a receiver.

You would get the Airplane version of the tx. If you can swing the extra $$$ for a 14, get it if you want telemetry and voice. Telemetry only works if you have the telemetry sensors, and they aren't cheap.
The 8fgs is 14 channel like the 14sg, just no telemetry or voice, and it's cheaper.

I went with the 8fgs, not regretting it one bit. I use the stock rx in the phantom, no need to change it, I get over 3km distances with it, my nerves give out before the signal does.

Programming the Futaba is a slight learning curve, coming from er9x, open tx and spektrum, but once you learn, it's easy peasy.

Cr8tive_leo said:
You would get the Airplane version of the tx. If you can swing the extra $$$ for a 14, get it if you want telemetry and voice. Telemetry only works if you have the telemetry sensors, and they aren't cheap.
The 8fgs is 14 channel like the 14sg, just no telemetry or voice, and it's cheaper.

I went with the 8fgs, not regretting it one bit. I use the stock rx in the phantom, no need to change it, I get over 3km distances with it, my nerves give out before the signal does.

Programming the Futaba is a slight learning curve, coming from er9x, open tx and spektrum, but once you learn, it's easy peasy.
THANKS. Telemetry might be a growth thing I'd be interested later. I hate anything computerized that talks. Where did you get your radio? I assume the 8FGS is an airplane radio. Did not see the "S" on the box at my LHS.

Hi, I replaced stock TX-RX with Turnigy 9XR combined with X8R RX. 9-16 channels, 2 Km tested, optional Telemetry.
Just needed a servo cable from Naza FC sbus port to the X8R RX. In the TX I installed the FRYSKY DJT module. Original DJI receiver unmounted.

FrSky - X8R-PCB 8/16ch Telemetry Receiver (X8R-PCB) $34.99
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...t_info&cPath=344_346_354_356&products_id=2419

FrSky - DJT Telemetry module (JR Type) (DJT) $27.49
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=344_346_349&products_id=2426

Youtube video with phantom programming parameters:
http://youtu.be/fIFX1RmBca8

Turnigy 9XR $75,oo http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ansmitter_Mode_2_No_Module_CN_Warehouse_.html

IMG_1689_2.jpg

jondrew, I have the same exact setup jumanoc lists above, except I have the Turnigy 9X (the model before the 9XR), and I also have the Taranis as well, which works with the same Rx and telemetry sensors. While Futaba does make excellent equipment, it's hard to beat the value in a Turnigy and/or FrSky setup.

OI Photography said:
Cr8tive_leo said:

Leo, what were you running er9x/openTx on?

Original Turnigy 9x (ersky , have Sky norths board in it), and soon 9xr Pro. I've been with project since just before implementation of Dsm protocol support, yeah me.
(wrote the original wiki on the dsm mod... ahhh the memories)

DSC_8622-b.jpg

If you have a ersky board, and it has a round sticker with CL on it... that board was touched by these hands... muuuahahah, and should still be working... lol... :)

I've a smartieparts too, and one that I did the mobo hardwire to... Had to cover all the bases to do tech support and write wiki info. yippie. 9xr Pro... mmmmm... lol.

c6f91404-c442-4b7e-8deb-ddd2cc121c8e.jpg

Not a fan of Taranis at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31