New to the phantom world (crashed)

Reaction score
I have a phantom 2 and just crashed it. luckily really no damage. Drone will not work.

Red led under the bottom is solid
motors will not spin
stuck in fail safe
one side is blinking yellow.

please help.......

I have read and this is what I have tried.

flashed firmware
tried to rebind controller and drone

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 499
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 471
Hello
Depending how hard and how you crashed, open phantom, under the top ( the GPS unit is located ) remove the GPS unit, inspect CERAMIC antenna , as they like to shatter in a decent crash. Might also require IMU calibration ( advanced preferably ), and after do a fresh compass calibration.

Did you download the assistants?
RC ASSISTANT
PC ASSISTANT
AND
WIN DRIVER

you must hook phantom to computer to calibrate IMU ( inertial measurement unit ) receives info from ( accelerometer, gyro, and compass ) takes all this info and makes a MOD VALUE ( MOD, is MODDUS, meaning absolute value )
So as you can see if anything is out of whack , you can experience ALL sorts of weird stuff. But I would open it up and inspect for anything damaged, unplugged, loose, broken solder joints, ect. If all looks good, hook to computer, turn it on, and run advanced IMU calibration ( ignore the IMU too hot crap ) they all do that, then outside for a fresh compass cal. See what happens?

If after all that , your still getting red light, than something is amiss somewhere? You'll have to look closer.

Hope this helps
J Dot

Ps the ceramic antenna is super easy to replace with minimal soldering skills and $8, buy the 4mm antenna, not stock 2mm, you'll get s stronger signal, i can supply part number here:
( part number on bottom of antenna )
image.jpeg

Watch YouTube on correct way to open your phantom ( do not remove motor screws ) not that it matters, but you don't need to. Please let us know if we can help out more, and keep us updated!

Take care!
J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: dirkclod
I have a phantom 2 and just crashed it. luckily really no damage. Drone will not work.

Red led under the bottom is solid
motors will not spin
stuck in fail safe
one side is blinking yellow.

please help.......

I have read and this is what I have tried.

flashed firmware
tried to rebind controller and drone

The motors will not spin up when the GPS module is unplugged from the main board.

When you tried to rebind the controller to the P2 did the LED on the receiver turn green or just stay red? The condition of the receiver LED is important whether the two are paired or not that LED just turn green when the controller is turned on and red when turned off while the P2 is powered on. If the receiver LED remains red no matter what you do the receiver board itself may be damaged.

You said that there is was no damage to the P2 after the crash. Then why is the landing gear and compass not attached to the P2??

As J Dot mentioned do check that all the solder connection are solid.

Here is a video of the startup sequence and it looks like it's correct in your photo.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Hello
Depending how hard and how you crashed, open phantom, under the top ( the GPS unit is located ) remove the GPS unit, inspect CERAMIC antenna , as they like to shatter in a decent crash. Might also require IMU calibration ( advanced preferably ), and after do a fresh compass calibration.

Did you download the assistants?
RC ASSISTANT
PC ASSISTANT
AND
WIN DRIVER

you must hook phantom to computer to calibrate IMU ( inertial measurement unit ) receives info from ( accelerometer, gyro, and compass ) takes all this info and makes a MOD VALUE ( MOD, is MODDUS, meaning absolute value )
So as you can see if anything is out of whack , you can experience ALL sorts of weird stuff. But I would open it up and inspect for anything damaged, unplugged, loose, broken solder joints, ect. If all looks good, hook to computer, turn it on, and run advanced IMU calibration ( ignore the IMU too hot crap ) they all do that, then outside for a fresh compass cal. See what happens?

If after all that , your still getting red light, than something is amiss somewhere? You'll have to look closer.

Hope this helps
J Dot

Ps the ceramic antenna is super easy to replace with minimal soldering skills and $8, buy the 4mm antenna, not stock 2mm, you'll get s stronger signal, i can supply part number here:
( part number on bottom of antenna )
View attachment 59138

Watch YouTube on correct way to open your phantom ( do not remove motor screws ) not that it matters, but you don't need to. Please let us know if we can help out more, and keep us updated!

Take care!
J Dot
:cool:
When I connect the drone to the computer this is what I get, I cant connect to the controller at all. I hook up the controller and the software says please connect controller.. any ideas?

thanks again for the help.

I did the advanced cali and same thing nothing!!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    730.3 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
The motors will not spin up when the GPS module is unplugged from the main board.

When you tried to rebind the controller to the P2 did the LED on the receiver turn green or just stay red? The condition of the receiver LED is important whether the two are paired or not that LED just turn green when the controller is turned on and red when turned off while the P2 is powered on. If the receiver LED remains red no matter what you do the receiver board itself may be damaged.

You said that there is was no damage to the P2 after the crash. Then why is the landing gear and compass not attached to the P2??

As J Dot mentioned do check that all the solder connection are solid.

Here is a video of the startup sequence and it looks like it's correct in your photo.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I cant remember about the binding I will try it again and post results. as far as the landing gear... lol it is back on I really didn't know what to take apart in the beginning..

I cant remember about the binding I will try it again and post results. as far as the landing gear... lol it is back on I really didn't know what to take apart in the beginning..

There is a possibility that the receiver may have been damaged in the crash. In the post #3 I gave you all the information you'd need to check it. Why not use it.

Here's the user's manual and the linking remote to the receiver procedure is on page 18.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2/en/PHANTOM2_User_Manual_v1.4_en.pdf

When I connect the drone to the computer this is what I get,
There is a possibility that the receiver may have been damaged in the crash. In the post #3 I gave you all the information you'd need to check it. Why not use it.

Here's the user's manual and the linking remote to the receiver procedure is on page 18.

http://download.dji-innovatio
ns.com/downloads/phantom_2/en/PHANTOM2_User_Manual_v1.4_en.pdf

I didn't see anything about how to check the board! I may not understand what you were saying if you did. I just ordered a new receiver board. I hope that this is the issue.. with the yellow leds flashing and the solid red led on the receiver board solid... I really hope this is the issue.
thanks for the help I will update this post either way.

thanks again

Reactions: J Dot
I didn't see anything about how to check the board! I may not understand what you were saying if you did. I just ordered a new receiver board. I hope that this is the issue.. with the yellow leds flashing and the solid red led on the receiver board solid... I really hope this is the issue.
thanks for the help I will update this post either way.

thanks again

Go back checkout the third post from the top. I just edit it in red so you cannot miss it.

When I connect the drone to the computer this is what I get, I cant connect to the controller at all. I hook up the controller and the software says please connect controller.. any ideas?

thanks again for the help.

I did the advanced cali and same thing nothing!!

All the control stick values are stuck at 1000. It should be at zero. The values stuck at a 1000 usually means the receiver board is damaged.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers